C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield wipers

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 02:05 PM
tom@tomyacuk.com
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windshield wipers

My 1971, the only way I can make the wipers work is to use the override to open the cowl and then hold the wiper switch in the wash position. As soon as I let go of the wiper switch the wipers go to park. Any one have any ideas?
Old 07-17-2016, 02:26 PM
Danish Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Sounds like a defective switch.
The switch should activate a solenoid that activates the wiper door relay, no matter if you use the washer position or the regular wiper position.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:53 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

I had the same problem with the wipers only running when I held it to wash on my 72 when I first bought it. It turned out that the switch wasn't grounded. It should ground to the panel it screws into, but that panel has to be grounded to the car ground (like the dash panel just below it where the radio is. I placed a screwdriver in the gap and it started to work. I pulled out the upper part where the ww switch is and put a small jumper between the two panels and it's working great ever since.
I'm not sure how that would affect the door opening, I didn't have that issue.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:15 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

What do the wipers do when you just turn them on? Any noise, clicking, anything?

Here is everything I have for you on the 1971 wiper system. First you should upload this file:
1969-1972 Corvette Windshield Wiper Motor Tech Help, Wire Schematic With Test

With the info below you can pre-check your wiper motor, wiper switch and most other parts in the circuit.

The wiper relay is located here on the 1971 cars.

Here is how you test it:

Wiper relay testing video

Wiper switch testing.

Wiper motor wiring diagram made simple

Wiper Motor testing with some Relay help

Wiper Motor Bench Test 69-72
Old 07-25-2016, 12:06 AM
Bluefalcon1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Willcox or anyone else that might know.

Regarding the "Wiper motor wiring diagram made simple" diagram shown previously in this thread.

I have had an issue with my system since day one of buying the car. I went so far as to put in a new wiper motor (Old one was destroyed) about a year ago but never completed the analysis to determine the total problem.

Today I removed the wiper motor and performed a bench tested as per the Willcox video and everything worked just fine. The instructions for the test were clear on running a ground to the case of the wiper motor in order for it to work properly.

In the wire schematic diagram above it shows 8 as a ground coming from the blower motor to the wiper motor. The wiper motor has the Red (hot) connector and a 3 plug (blue,yellow,green) but nothing else. Where does this ground attach to the wiper motor? What color is the wire coming from the Blower motor? Exactly where on the Blower motor is this ground wire. Does this ground have to come from the blower motor or can I just a wire to an existing ground.

Thanks in advance for any replies. Pictures would really help if you have them.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:27 AM
Danish Shark
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bluefalcon1

In the wire schematic diagram above it shows 8 as a ground coming from the blower motor to the wiper motor. The wiper motor has the Red (hot) connector and a 3 plug (blue,yellow,green) but nothing else. Where does this ground attach to the wiper motor?
The ground connection is a tab on one of the screws attaching the washer pump to the wiper motor. The one you want has a ground strap going to the motor housing.
The wire is black.

/Karsten

Last edited by Danish Shark; 07-25-2016 at 10:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bluefalcon1 (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 02:08 PM
Bluefalcon1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default wiper

Originally Posted by Danish Shark
The ground connection is a tab on one of the screws attaching the washer pump to the wiper motor. The one you want has a ground strap going to the motor housing.
The wire is black.

/Karsten
With what you provided I found the cut off ground wire deep in the wire harness. The NEW wiper motor did not come with the ground tab. Using your information I dug out the old motor in the garage and found the tab. I took the old one off and attached it to the new Motor. Now with a proper ground I bet everything will work properly. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:35 PM
Danish Shark
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bluefalcon1
With what you provided I found the cut off ground wire deep in the wire harness. The NEW wiper motor did not come with the ground tab. Using your information I dug out the old motor in the garage and found the tab. I took the old one off and attached it to the new Motor. Now with a proper ground I bet everything will work properly. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:07 AM
D_Williams
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tom@tomyacuk.com
My 1971, the only way I can make the wipers work is to use the override to open the cowl and then hold the wiper switch in the wash position. As soon as I let go of the wiper switch the wipers go to park. Any one have any ideas?
I don't know if you've fixed this already, but the connector on the back of the switch could be backward

Get notified of new replies

To windshield wipers

Quick Reply: windshield wipers