C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pump gas with 11:1 compression?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 10:23 PM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Money Pit
Plug the vacuum advance and try it. Bet you lose the ping. That's what lead me to locked out timing,....well one of the reasons. My cam is pretty big.
I hear ya. I know I could simply eliminate vac adv and lose the pinging forever, but the benefits of running vacuum advance is something I wont give up on easily. Better mpg and cooler running temps is worth it to me.

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
Thanks for the clarification. So when you just push the throttle a LITTLE bit harder, it thins out the AFR, which makes knocking more likely and for about 1 second you get a knock and then it's fine?

Adam
Correct!
The following users liked this post:
NewbVetteGuy (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 10:38 PM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gkull
I had the same problem with my original crane SR cam 232/238 383 @11.2

I used octane booster and dorked with everything. I actually had very light ping at freeway cruise without booster. I had the crane cams adjustable vacuum can on my Unilite dizzy. I finally gave up and went to a bigger cam and wrote it off as a learning experience.

I would have told that cam of yours would not work
George, I'm pretty confident that I can tune this condition out. I just have not got around to it yet. It could also be related to the stumble that I often get at both idle and cruise speeds due to the 7530 Team G. I've played around with squirter sizes, but not acc pump cams. I can tell you AFR does lean out briefly, so I attribute this to a combination of a brief lean condition and vacuum advance.

I'm very happy with the cam so far. Your welcome to check it out if your ever down this way.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:48 PM
a striper
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

I've been happy with an 11.5:1 406 small block on 91. I tried to optimize the details. AFR heads, zero deck with reasonable quench, 243-251 @ .050 hyd roller, 110 LSA installed with two degrees advance, full time cold air, 160 thermostat. The first ignition curve I tried was very happy in the first four gears but it did not like being in fifth below 2400 rpm. I slowed the curve and on flat ground you can now get below 2000 rpm in fifth.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:27 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by a striper
I've been happy with an 11.5:1 406 small block on 91. I tried to optimize the details. AFR heads, zero deck with reasonable quench, 243-251 @ .050 hyd roller, 110 LSA installed with two degrees advance, full time cold air, 160 thermostat. The first ignition curve I tried was very happy in the first four gears but it did not like being in fifth below 2400 rpm. I slowed the curve and on flat ground you can now get below 2000 rpm in fifth.
Well, it's official; I do NOT properly understand the factors that determine detonation... I thought I was starting to get it...

Unless the really low advance @ 2 degrees and the super low temps are staving off detonation...

To me this just sounds like a car that would drive down the streets like a diesel- powered by compression-based detonation with no spark required...

Adam
Old 07-20-2016, 11:34 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tsw71
I hear ya. I know I could simply eliminate vac adv and lose the pinging forever, but the benefits of running vacuum advance is something I wont give up on easily. Better mpg and cooler running temps is worth it to me.

Correct!
What? Ok, I think this is a huge potential learning moment for me.

How the heck does vacuum advance create cooler running temps and better MPG? That blows my mind...

I'm planning an EFI install this winter and from what I can tell that means I have to give up distributor vacuum advance and either move to a dual sync electronic distributor or an electronic distributor AND a crank sensor; does that mean when I make the swap I'll have higher engine temps and lower MPG?

I honestly don't understand why vacuum advance works or how it works or how these benefits are provided...

Adam
Old 07-20-2016, 11:36 PM
a striper
Drifting

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy

Well, it's official; I do NOT properly understand the factors that determine detonation... I thought I was starting to get it...

Unless the really low advance @ 2 degrees and the super low temps are staving off detonation...

To me this just sounds like a car that would drive down the streets like a diesel- powered by compression-based detonation with no spark required...

Adam

The two degrees of advance refers to the relationship of the cam to the crank. It is very common for a sbc cam to be installed with four degrees of advance for optimal "overall" power. By taking out two degrees of the advance (installed two degrees advanced) the intake valve closes later in the cycle. This reduces cylinder pressure at lower RPM. Less cam advance typically trades low RPM power and gains a bit at high RPM.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:38 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

The advance in an EFI distributor is controlled by the computer. It is also monitoring vacuum and can adjust timing to what is set in tables for each driving condition. You have way more possibilities with EFI.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:56 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

The two degrees of advance refers to the relationship of the cam to the crank. It is very common for a sbc cam to be installed with four degrees of advance for optimal "overall" power. By taking out two degrees of the advance (installed two degrees advanced) the intake valve closes later in the cycle. This reduces cylinder pressure at lower RPM. Less cam advance typically trades low RPM power and gains a bit at high RPM.
Thanks for that; I feel better now. I played with a dynamic compression calculator last week and saw what happens to dynamic compression when you retard the cam to crank timing like this (reduction of dynamic compression and thereby reduction of detonation risk). --YES! I still kinda get the basic fundamentals! Score!

Adam
Old 07-21-2016, 07:26 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by tsw71
George, I'm pretty confident that I can tune this condition out. I just have not got around to it yet. It could also be related to the stumble that I often get at both idle and cruise speeds due to the 7530 Team G. I've played around with squirter sizes, but not acc pump cams. I can tell you AFR does lean out briefly, so I attribute this to a combination of a brief lean condition and vacuum advance.

I'm very happy with the cam so far. Your welcome to check it out if your ever down this way.
I have the same intake and 650 DP. I cured my off idle hesitation using a 0.040" squirter on the primary side, pink cam #1 hole. I also found that increasing initial advance helped alot and I'm at 22*, 10* mech'l and 8* vacuum. Engine purrs like kitten at 1000 rpm idle with a retro HR 280/286 with 0.560" lift, 10.5 scr.

Last edited by resdoggie; 07-21-2016 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:14 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I'd be interested to know your timing curve. At some point I would like to address my locked out timing, but for now it just flat out works. No stumble, or bog what so ever. Easy starts hot or cold, and no ping at any road condition. The down side.....I lost a few mpgs and at the present time get maybe 12 mpg if the wind is in my favor.

In comparison my 355 got 17 mpg with the same gears, but running a 2000 stall. Now I run a 3000 stall with the 3.70 gears.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:44 AM
68post
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Has anyone in the 11-1+ club experimented with water/methanol injection ?
Old 07-21-2016, 10:58 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by 68post
Has anyone in the 11-1+ club experimented with water/methanol injection ?
Yes, in the past on N2O drag cars and presently on a turbo car. Both of them use windshield washer pumps. Set to spray into the air plenum the same time as the N2O came on or the boost went over a set limit.

I don't think that it is practical for a street car.

Years ago some outfit was selling a water/meth container that bolted on top of the intake. It was simple, heat from the motor caused it to boil. The lid had a 3/8th rubber hose that you plugged into full manifold vacuum like your carb port. Under motor vacuum it would boil at lower temps. It was designed to add the most vapor under highest vacuum like cruising down the free way. My buddy swore by it in his hot rod Dodge.

Last edited by gkull; 07-21-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:23 AM
68post
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks.
I have a NOS Holley unit in the box, but no plans for it. I think better "fast burn" style combustion chambers have harshed the allure of these kits.
I could see them in certain truck applications being useful.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:26 AM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Temp Control?

Forum: I posted on something similar a while back.
Say an engine was on the border line of detonation.
Wouldn't CAI, lower temps on fuel, oil and water make the difference?

Not sure how much difference this would make?

R
Old 07-21-2016, 11:46 AM
StraubTech
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by gkull
Motorhead, Diehard, and myself are running 250 ish solid roller cams in our 427's and I think 11 or more compression. very doable on pump gas with higher stall or even better manual tranny.

I worked on locked out magneto ignitions @ 30 years ago. The old salty guard had been using them for 20 years and couldn't see why you would change. We showed them that optical triggered or crank triggered ignition and changeable race battery with some advance was far superior.

Modern chambers like these AFR's tend to make the most power at sea level @ 32-34 degrees. I'm a fan of 18-20 initial and adding 12-14 degrees mech advance and limiting vac advance to 10 or less more like 6-8 degrees.

The point of when to have the all timing in VS rpm is a war that will rage on the internet for a long time. But this is the facts, so I did not make it up and a reasonable person should be able to grasp it.

It comes down to volumetric efficiency, period. Flame travel does not do well in a exhaust diluted poor stock gen 1 chevy chamber design. small cam, poor intake, restrictive exhaust, EGR 80% cylinder filling.

Of course you need all the advance you can and all in at sub 2800 rpm.

As volumetric efficiency and flame travel increase the less timing required. Period.

In real race engines they actually pull timing out as the rpm increase because the flame travel increases with highly atomized fuel
George,
If Tony has not change my cam from his engine then it is not a Solid Roller, It is hyd roller. It is not 250 duration, it is smaller, and it is in the 10 to 1 compression ratio sir.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:50 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by StraubTech
George,
If Tony has not change my cam from his engine then it is not a Solid Roller, It is hyd roller. It is not 250 duration, it is smaller, and it is in the 10 to 1 compression ratio sir.
I was thinking Diehard was also solid roller. Only relatively few of us on the forum actually have 420+ ci small blocks motors
Old 07-21-2016, 02:07 PM
a striper
Drifting

Originally Posted by The Money Pit
I'd be interested to know your timing curve. At some point I would like to address my locked out timing, but for now it just flat out works. No stumble, or bog what so ever. Easy starts hot or cold, and no ping at any road condition. The down side.....I lost a few mpgs and at the present time get maybe 12 mpg if the wind is in my favor.

In comparison my 355 got 17 mpg with the same gears, but running a 2000 stall. Now I run a 3000 stall with the 3.70 gears.
I'll dig into the distributor to see where I ended up. I agree with Kubs about the advantage of having the timing controlled by a programmable computer. I have an MSD Digital distributor in the 11.5 car. IIRC it gives 20 different mechanical timing curves and ten vacuum curve by turning two dials. I knew setting up the ignition curve would be tedious with this car and today's gas. I have an MSD Boost retard box in a 6-71 car with 9.5:1 compression. I like that better because I can create any (even non-linear) curve I want. As I mentioned the curves that worked well in the first four gears were too much for overdrive. I bet if higher octane was available I could speed up the curve and pick up some mileage. I do pay close attention to feedback the car is giving and never overload it at low RPM. I'm pretty sure that somebody could hurt this engine if they did not know how to drive a high compression set up. This would be an appropriate case for drive by wire that would not allow overly aggressive throttle application in high load low RPM conditions.

I built a 10.7:1 377 for a friend with similar set up. It had something like a 3.4 ring an pinion with the same .64 OD (mine's a 4:11). We could get down to 1500 RPM in fifth with his. By 1800 you could ease in the throttle and start pulling quite well. His cam was similar but 112 LSA vs my 110 LSA, installed with four degrees advance vs my two degrees. His also had a Performer RPM Air Gap vs my Victor JR with a 1" spacer.

I think his typically gets 2-3 more MPG than mine. I get about 14 consistently. I'm in the Ozarks and the hills hurt the mileage and are a factor in the ignition curves. I've tuned cars that are pretty happy right up until we try to climb a hill in OD.

Get notified of new replies

To Pump gas with 11:1 compression?

Old 07-21-2016, 02:16 PM
a striper
Drifting

Originally Posted by Taijutsu
Forum: I posted on something similar a while back.
Say an engine was on the border line of detonation.
Wouldn't CAI, lower temps on fuel, oil and water make the difference?

Not sure how much difference this would make?

R

I think those factors can make a difference as well as spark plug heat range. On iron head engines I have found deburing sharp edges in the combustion chamber can make a difference too.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:19 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

I think those factors can make a difference as well as spark plug heat range. On iron head engines I have found deburing sharp edges in the combustion chamber can make a difference too.
Regarding spark plug heat range; you're saying that switching to a cooler spark plug could drop temps a bit and reduce engine knock risk, or would a hotter spark reduce knock risk because you'd get a faster burn?

Adam
Old 07-21-2016, 03:23 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Related question: When you've got a high compression engine that's right on the border of knocking like this, does EFI help to reduce knock risk?

When you are at cruising speed and only push the pedal slightly you're thinning out the AFR and can get that knock- but an EFI is supposed to keep a constant configured AFR AND EFI injectors maintain the same level of fuel atomization at high and low air velocities, unlike a carb, right?

Adam

Quick Reply: Pump gas with 11:1 compression?