C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1.6 Roller Rockers: What do I need to know before buying?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 02:03 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I would not put them on your present motor. I started out with 1.6 roller tips 30 years ago Now I've used 1.7 and 1.65

RR's use needle roller barrings. Steel is rebuildable Aluminum gets hogged out. I use CC steel and high end stainless pro mags I have sets of them and some are very old and have never had a problem.

You have to look at your lobe cam lift and multiply by each ratio 1.5.. 1.6...

As you go higher the stress on the lifter and springs increase. Springs have a coil bind number. You have to start thinking about installed height and piston to valve clearance as lift increases.

When you get new heads you need to think about .100 longer valve stems and taller springs to handle increase lift of a roller cam
Old 07-25-2016, 02:05 AM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by gkull
I would not put them on your present motor. I started out with 1.6 roller tips 30 years ago Now I've used 1.7 and 1.65

RR's use needle roller barrings. Steel is rebuildable Aluminum gets hogged out. I use CC steel and high end stainless pro mags I have sets of them and some are very old and have never had a problem.

You have to look at your lobe cam lift and multiply by each ratio 1.5.. 1.6...

As you go higher the stress on the lifter and springs increase. Springs have a coil bind number. You have to start thinking about installed height and piston to valve clearance as lift increases.

When you get new heads you need to think about .100 longer valve stems and taller springs to handle increase lift of a roller cam
Now you know with that response you just sent Adam into overload causing like 5 new forum posts
Old 07-25-2016, 02:41 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
Roller "tipped" rockers are still a ball style fulcrum like a stock rocker arm, but with a wheel at the tip where it contacts the valve. however it is said the tip really isn't the point that makes the difference, reduces friction, or frees horsepower. It is the fulcrum.

A "full" roller rocker has both the wheeled tip and also "rolls" over a shaft at the fulcrum.
Thx

I'm running comp cam 12 466 8 (EFI cam) and comp cams says I have to use 1.6 RR
So I bought comp cams 1416 because I like my L46 alu. covers very much.
Was that a mistake?
Will this give me a power loss, if yes how much?

Last edited by c3_dk; 07-25-2016 at 02:48 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:28 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I was able to keep my aluminium vv covers using Crane Energizer aluminium full roller rockers with a 1.5 ratio on my stock heads BUT I had to double the gaskets. Worked just fine. Now I have AFR 195's with a raised rail and still use my oem vv covers with a single gasket. I've had good service with my rr's that I installed 20 years ago but my ride is a weekend cruiser only but will see 6200 rpm most times I'm out. No issues. As George pointed out, coil bind is a major concern when you start getting into higher lift cams for both 1.5 or 1.6 ratios. But again, you don't need 1.6 ratio rockers if you just choose a cam with the lift you want.

Quick Reply: 1.6 Roller Rockers: What do I need to know before buying?