C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 09:49 PM
nick0187
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default brake issue

So I just picked up a 1975 vette, and the brakes on it are almost non existent. The previous owner said that they were working decent and he heard a loud pop and then they went almost dead. When I press the brake pedal, there is a loud air leaking sound and I have to mash my foot down as hard as I can to get any braking at all. Im just a backyard mechanic, Im assuming its the brake booster that bit the dust, any other ideas? Should I get a new master cylinder as well? just want it safe to drive.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:21 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by nick0187
So I just picked up a 1975 vette, and the brakes on it are almost non existent. The previous owner said that they were working decent and he heard a loud pop and then they went almost dead. When I press the brake pedal, there is a loud air leaking sound and I have to mash my foot down as hard as I can to get any braking at all. Im just a backyard mechanic, Im assuming its the brake booster that bit the dust, any other ideas? Should I get a new master cylinder as well? just want it safe to drive.
you can test the booster with a hand vacuum pump. Not worth replacing the master cylinder and this point.

This is how I tested my booster. You can do the same test on the car.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...f-the-car.html
Old 07-25-2016, 12:03 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Failed seal in the brake booster is the most likely cause of your problem. As mentioned, you can test it with a hand vacuum pump; and I suggest that you do so before going to all the trouble of a swap-out.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 07-25-2016 at 12:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To brake issue

Quick Reply: brake issue