C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will going to 17 inch wheels help handling?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 10:10 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
I didn't like the way the 2" hard sidewalls jolted the car with every bump. The 9 1/2" width also caused issues with rubbing at inopportune times during sharp turns on uneven roads. I changed for four reasons:
Ride is less harsh
Rubbing fenders in some situations
I wanted the stock rally wheel look
Previous owner wanted to buy wheels and tires for more than I spent on the changeover
I suppose age is a possible fifth reason, since I dislike vintage cars with 19, 20 inch chrome wheels with short tire sidewalls that all you young fellers spend so much on. I'm a stock wheel, or at least period style wheel kind of person. I also don't like the big chrome wheels that continue to spin after you stop, or the black wheels that look like wearing black socks and shoes while wearing a bathing suit. If we all liked the same thing, a lot of vendors would be out of business and all cars would look the same (which may be the way we're headed anyway with wheels)
I totally understand... I dont car for certain style larger wheels and do think the 22" and such look ridiculous on some cars myself (not to mention the larger tires they use totally kill the power by changing the final gear ratio. I wanted to build a restomod from the trashed and damaged corvette I decided to rebuild rather than the stock c3 so mine wont look exactly the same as every other one at a cruise night or car show it will look like I want it to look. plus since I am younger I have a different outlook on things like modern wheels. (although I admit I am already a lot more opinionated and set in my ways that I was 20 year ago)

Yes not everyone likes the same thing thats why traditionally as you already know, there are performance car for those that like sports handling and luxury cars marketed for those that prefer the softer ride....But since we all have our own preferences some beyond what the marketing folks account for, you prefer the look of one with the comforts of another. Whereas if there was a much better handling reasonably priced tire at the time the c3 was made you can bet it would have came with those instead with the option of grand touring tires im sure.

I was just pointing out "better handling" on a corvette is not traditionally a softer ride.. They are usually the opposite.. along with the softer ride comes worse handling and performance because of all the sidewall movement. For the same reasons the better handling suspension packages usually ride a lot harsher than normal. My 84 z51 corvette handled like a gocart but it could jar the teeth out of your head on bad roads for the same reasons.

I have been finishing my cart on an extreme budget so in order to be able to drive it this summer I researched some of the cheaper tire options and found these http://www.ebay.com/itm/322003527606?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT tires for $50 shipped each on sale (Now $112)... They are made by Falkens parent company in Thailand and got very good reviews on all the sites I found them at.I had very good luck with the falkens on my last vette so I gave them a try. While im sure they may not compare on the track to the michelins or even the american made coopers, they do have a great ride, they arent noisy and so far ive had zero traction issues although I havent pushed them in the last 2 weeks ive been using them. The guy at the tire shop that balanced my new rims and tires said they balanced very well whatever that means.

Last edited by augiedoggy; 07-26-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:00 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

First off, there is nothing stock about my '72 vert, wheels through roof, nothing.....

VBP plastic spring in back 360 lbs 460 coils in front, Biily Stein sport shocks on all corners.....rack steering, hydroboost brakes, and 245/50/17 on front and 275/50/17 in back.....car rides nice, handles good.....

biggest improvement in ride came from rear plastic spring, followed by shocks, that was done before the '89 vette wheels went on, and then I went for the shocks which stabilized the car really well on a bridge nearby, the undulation/bouncing of the road surface is felt a LOT less....

Quick Reply: Will going to 17 inch wheels help handling?