C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Corvette Rally Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 06:32 PM
vetternr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 72 Corvette Rally Wheels

I recently posted about this. I need to know what the correct original color is for the back side of the 72 Vette Rally wheels. I have had a few 69's and 72's that ( as I remember ) had the same Argent Silver. They certainly appeared to be original paint. I also believe an original ( over the counter replacement Rally Wheel from the dealership ) had a Black back side and a primered front side. Does any one know for sure the correct color ?

Also I have not seen any Argent Silver rattle can paint that is NOT Lacquer. I would prefer to paint them in Enamel. Ant suggestions Gent's ???
Old 07-25-2016, 06:55 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi V,
The first part of your question is easier…. the entire wheel was first painted with semi flat black paint.
I don't think I've heard of anyone discovering a coat of primer on their original St.Louis wheels.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 07-25-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:47 PM
vetternr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Final paint colors

I guess I did not clairify my question correctly. What is the final ( as delivered new at the Chevy dealership ) color of the 1972 Corvette Rally Wheels ? I know for sure the outside was Argent Silver ( maybe with a tinge of Green in it ). Was the back side of the wheel also Argent Silver OR was it Black ?

As I mentioned earlier the wheel that had primer on the front side was a REPLACEMENT WHEEL, over the counter at the dealership Parts Department.

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi V,
The first part of your question is easier…. the entire wheel was first painted with semi flat black paint.
I don't think I've heard of anyone discovering a coat of primer on their original St.Louis wheels.
Regards,
Alan
Old 07-25-2016, 08:01 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by vetternr
I guess I did not clairify my question correctly. What is the final ( as delivered new at the Chevy dealership ) color of the 1972 Corvette Rally Wheels ? I know for sure the outside was Argent Silver ( maybe with a tinge of Green in it ). Was the back side of the wheel also Argent Silver OR was it Black ?

As I mentioned earlier the wheel that had primer on the front side was a REPLACEMENT WHEEL, over the counter at the dealership Parts Department.
As Alan said, the entire wheel was painted semi-flat black, and then the front of it was painted silver. The back was left black, but some silver overspray came through the 5 slots in the wheel.

As to primered service replacement wheels, I've never seen one. Every over the counter wheel I've ever seen, was painted the semi-flat black, front and back. I've never seen a GM wheel that was primered.

As far as lacquer verse enamel, I haven't really paid much attention which it is, but I've been happy with the argent silver rally wheel paint that Volunteer Products sells.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:06 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by vetternr
I know for sure the outside was Argent Silver ( maybe with a tinge of Green in it ).
I forgot to mention that the paint used on 71-82 rally wheels, was the argent silver. From what I understand, if there was a green tint to the rally wheel silver paint, it was generally limited to the paint used on 67-70 rally's.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:53 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi v,
Many different patterns and amounts of overspray are seen on the rear side of rally wheels.
If you paint the wheel just from the front some spray will go through the openings and you'll create you an individual pattern for each wheel.
Here's an original.
Regards,
Alan

This wheel appears to have more complete coverage on part of the wheel than I've seen on other wheels.

Get notified of new replies

To 72 Corvette Rally Wheels

Quick Reply: 72 Corvette Rally Wheels