C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'71 Muncie and Hurst Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 09:30 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,751 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Default '71 Muncie and Hurst Issue

So I traded my stock shifter to a friend for a Hurst. It was on a '75 he was converting back to stock to flip and make a profit. Anyway, I installed the shifter and properly adjusted all the rods in neutral with the pin. Without the car running it shifts into every gear now problem. However, when I start it and try to run through the gears on kickstands it won't go into 3rd with the tires spinning. Once the tires stop and I get it in 3rd and let the clutch out, it kills the engine and tires won't turn. I double checked the length of the rods was correct and had my wife shift while I was under checking. It appears when the shifter moves into 3rd gear from any position, it rotates the reverse lever slightly. If I leave it in 3rd gear but move the reverse lever back I can go in start the car, let the clutch out and tires spin in 3rd gear. If I take it out of 3rd and go back in same issue.

What would cause the shifter to move the reverse lever going into 3rd?? My car originally came with the reverse lockout cable which I removed. I found it annoying. Did this also prevent the reverse gear from engaging? Why would this shifter work in my friends car flawless and not in mine? The only difference I can think of is the reverse lockout.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:44 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Mine doesn't do that.

I have the reverse lock out cable removed as well. I do recall my transmission builder stating do run it though the gears while in the air and the engine running.

The one thing I did find is I doesn't always have the rods and paws correct.

Something about working on a car upside down tends to do that. Double check just to be sure. Front paw bends out and the rear one bends in.

http://www.hurstshiftersonline.com/3738611_install.pdf
The following users liked this post:
Kubs (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 01:56 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Yeah all of my testing has been in the air not on the ground. Rods and arms are correct. OK so you have ruled out that it's an issue with the lockout. The shifter moves free but perhaps something is binding causing both arms to move.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:11 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Make sure the rod end is on the correct side of the reverse shift lever.
On some of my cars I've had to adjust(misrig) the shifter to hit all the gears the way I like.
Try lengthening the revers shift rod a bit
The following users liked this post:
Kubs (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 07:15 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AzMotorhead
Make sure the rod end is on the correct side of the reverse shift lever.
On some of my cars I've had to adjust(misrig) the shifter to hit all the gears the way I like.
Try lengthening the revers shift rod a bit
We have a winner! I wish I read this earlier, it would have saved me some troubleshooting.

I ended up removing the reverse linkage to see if the issue was inside the transmission or in the shifter. When shifting into 3rd with the linkage disconnected from the arm on the transmission the linkage moved back. When I shifted into 4th and then back to 3rd the reverse linkage didn't move any more. I lengthened the linkage to be at that spot in neutral and I now have all gears! It's weird that I had to adjust it past where is was with the neutral pin in, but I'm glad it's fixed.

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by Kubs; 07-30-2016 at 07:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To '71 Muncie and Hurst Issue

Quick Reply: '71 Muncie and Hurst Issue