C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mechanical Choke Cleaning/Adjustment

Old 08-17-2016, 05:01 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Mechanical Choke Cleaning/Adjustment

Stock '79 L82

Finally found my sometimes hard cold start problem. Something about the choke mechanism is sticking? (at times) and preventing it from springing closed after depressing the throttle. Vacuum pull-off works perfectly. Only other problem (on occasion) is that the high idle doesn't always set.

I've previously cleaned the choke/carb with spray cleaner and lightly lubed the linkages. Everything seems to move freely and correctly. Have also adjusted the choke so that (when cold and not sticking?) it springs closed very nicely.

Is my potential fix as simple as removing the cover/spring, cleaning it and inside and replacing? Or should I remove the entire choke so that I can actually get in there to clean the high-idle mechanism which on a '79 seems FAR more difficult to even see (let alone access) than I remember in my first car--a '71 Chevelle.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:05 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by SwampeastMike
Stock '79 L82

Only other problem (on occasion) is that the high idle doesn't always set.

Is my potential fix as simple as removing the cover/spring, cleaning it and inside and replacing?
If the fast idle does not set, then the choke is not on either. I would go ahead and remove the choke cover and clean
The following users liked this post:
SwampeastMike (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 07:11 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mikem350
If the fast idle does not set, then the choke is not on either. I would go ahead and remove the choke cover and clean
Thanks and will do.

Isn't the fast idle cam behind the choke?
Old 08-18-2016, 05:00 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Cover and spring seemed very clean but just removing them gave me a better view and better access to the mechanisms behind. Used some more choke cleaner and it's working perfectly--at least today

Get notified of new replies

To Mechanical Choke Cleaning/Adjustment

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mechanical Choke Cleaning/Adjustment