C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dithering

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 05:38 PM
hinemadm
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dithering

I have a 1972 Vette with base engine, rebuilt 10k miles ago. I am on my 3rd carb, 2nd dist. With adjustable advance. When I am cruising, 40-45 mph, not accelerating, not slowing down, the engine kind of stutters.
It is not a cylinder miss or a engine knock. I have read on Willcox page that the engine is dithering, searching for the right advance. No matter what the timing is set at (8 degrees initial) I cannot get rid of this "dithering". I have gone back and forth on the vacuum advance to no avail.
Any help is appreciated
Dave
Old 08-20-2016, 09:36 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

If your engine vacuum is steady, vacuum advance on distributor working I'd say you have a fuel flow issue. Timing does not tend to jump around if your vacuum is steady.

I'd start with basics on fuel pressure, fuel filter or (please mention carb) and double check choke operation.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:37 AM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

Too much advance will introduce a hunting/jerky/"dithering" result at cruise speeds. Might want to verify that balancer mark is correct - that your balancer ring hasn't rotated resulting in erroneous timing setting.
Another simple check is that your Dwell is steady and the vac advance plate is solid - try shooting your timing light at the plate through the cap window and see if it's steady across the rpm range.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:34 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Great tip!!!
Old 08-21-2016, 08:52 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Fred
Too much advance will introduce a hunting/jerky/"dithering" result at cruise speeds.
Good point- a simple spin of the distributor will answer that question
Old 08-21-2016, 06:49 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,122 Likes on 550 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Did you disconnect the vacuum advance and drive the car to see if it still does it?
What is you vacuum at idle? You should have a vacuum advance that is all in 2" below your idle vacuum and should add 14-16" of timing max.
Joe
Old 08-23-2016, 04:44 PM
hinemadm
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dithering part 2

Originally Posted by hinemadm
I have a 1972 Vette with base engine, rebuilt 10k miles ago. I am on my 3rd carb, 2nd dist. With adjustable advance. When I am cruising, 40-45 mph, not accelerating, not slowing down, the engine kind of stutters.
It is not a cylinder miss or a engine knock. I have read on Willcox page that the engine is dithering, searching for the right advance. No matter what the timing is set at (8 degrees initial) I cannot get rid of this "dithering". I have gone back and forth on the vacuum advance to no avail.
Any help is appreciated
Dave
Thanks for all the tips...I disconnected my vacuum advance, checked my timing (spot on), watched my mechanical advance (ok) and went for a test drive....still dithering. Would the float level in the Quadrajet be set too low, causing a fuel sputter? This is my third carb in the last 24 years, and I recall having this dithering since way back. I am thinking of going with a aftermarket carb from Jegs or Summit. Any advice.
Dave
Old 08-23-2016, 05:17 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by hinemadm
Thanks for all the tips...I disconnected my vacuum advance, checked my timing (spot on), watched my mechanical advance (ok) and went for a test drive....still dithering. Would the float level in the Quadrajet be set too low, causing a fuel sputter? This is my third carb in the last 24 years, and I recall having this dithering since way back. I am thinking of going with a aftermarket carb from Jegs or Summit. Any advice.
Dave
Checked timing is not the same as verifying that the damper hasn't slipped on the hub. You need to verify that the timing mark on the damper is accurate and shows zero/TDC when the #1 piston is mechanically at top dead center. Only then will your timing results be "spot on". Easy to verify before you throw more money and time at part swapping activities.

Alternatively, as stated by others, you could simply disconnect the vacuum advance and/or retard the timing to see if your "dithering" goes away.

Last edited by Hammerhead Fred; 08-23-2016 at 05:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dithering

Quick Reply: Dithering