C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMPP Vortec Heads

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 12:57 PM
texas jim
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default GMPP Vortec Heads

Is anyone using the GMPP Vortec heads w/ the 2.00/1.55 that also accepts the old 6 bolt intake/valve covers?
Old 08-23-2016, 07:02 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

They came on the ZZ383 Deluxe that we dropped in 2 summers ago. What would you like to know?
Old 08-25-2016, 08:48 AM
texas jim
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gdh
They came on the ZZ383 Deluxe that we dropped in 2 summers ago. What would you like to know?
. Do you think these heads are worth buying for a 355 ci build or should I go with the regular small Vortec heads? I have an Edelbrock rpm air gap and my original 1981 valve covers that I would have to replace with the regular Vortec heads, more cost.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:38 AM
GAVelle
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texas jim
. Do you think these heads are worth buying for a 355 ci build or should I go with the regular small Vortec heads? I have an Edelbrock rpm air gap and my original 1981 valve covers that I would have to replace with the regular Vortec heads, more cost.
On my 1969 I have the iron Bowtie Vortec heads (which have larger valves, screw-in studs, stainless valves with sodium-filled exhaust valves, and permit lift up to 0.530" compared to regular Vortec heads) that I think you are referring to. I have a Vortec-specific intake. (Supposedly, although the bolt pattern matches the regular manifold, the ports are raised on Vortec heads and thus the ports on a standard manifold may not match up with the ports on the heads and may result in vacuum leaks.) I never experimented with trying a standard manifold, but the CPP catalogue does not say that a standard manifold will work.

But, I use the original, standard steel painted valve covers for an original look. Also, I have to use a drop-base air cleaner base with a shorter filter to clear the hood. I think the smaller filter reduces air flow at high RPM.

If I were to do it over again, I would use high-flow standard heads so that everything fits better unless I had a hood with more clearance. If your car has more clearance than a 68-72 small block hood, then the 185cc iron Bowtie Vortecs, compared to standard iron Vortecs, would be nice because of the increased valve lift capability, the nicer, and larger valves and springs, the ability to use stock valve covers, and possibly the ability to use a standard intake if you can avoid leaks.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:37 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I'd make sure that the larger heads would bolt on first. There's not a lot you can do to these heads for additional performance ie. porting. I'm happy with the engine as it suits my needs and I got it for a fantastic price. For your engine I would look at AFR 180's or 195's over the Votecs if you can get them at a good price.

Get notified of new replies

To GMPP Vortec Heads

Quick Reply: GMPP Vortec Heads