C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers - true dual exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 05:13 PM
Skybolt
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Headers - true dual exhaust?

I have an 81 and want true dual exhaust. Not so much for the performance but the sound as well. If I gain any more HP great, if not fine. I also want the A.I.R. pump stuff out and gone.

So I would like some recommendations for a decent set of headers on back to mufflers that are bolt on. I intend on letting the O2 just hang, possibly buy an electronic bypass if needed. Right now I am going to keep the ECU, I think.

I have looked at so many types my head hurts, so I am hoping to pull from your experience and get the "Right Stuff".

Thanks guys!
Old 08-25-2016, 05:37 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

IMO tru duals will not sound that much different then what you have.You can start with a new flow thru cat or test tube .then you could go with borla flowmaster or magnaflow mufflers.Great sound starts with heads and cam.Your 02 can be used to tune your car what ever fuel delivery you are using.how much do you want to spend?If you have a long term plan for big hp then go duals.If you are going to stay close to stock, just change mufflers.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:01 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I left the stock 82 factory Stainless block header headers, & a complete set of 2 1/2 " duels W/mufflers ( Mega flows,) If I had it to do over again, I would of installed a set of Stainless exhaust, complete out the rear, W/86 Corvette ( other years could fit ) 2 1/2 " factory SS block huger headers. That way I wouldn't half to reduce the head pipe at all. Have a great one. Gene
Old 08-25-2016, 09:32 PM
Skybolt
Instructor

Thanks for the reply's guys.

My immediate plan is to remove the A.I.R. system completely which will give me an engine I can work on again or at least get to. The current SS exhaust is completely welded so I can't remove the cat.

So if I am doing work of removing the existing manifolds, I might as well get dual exhaust out of it. As for the mufflers, maganaflow or flowmaster is what I was considering.

So it's back to my original question as I am still confused on the headers and pipes.

Last edited by Skybolt; 08-25-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:43 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

I think if look enough you can find some really bad headers on like ebay, but most major brands have good header with there own tricks and improvements built in. My self i have Doung Thourly headers and really like them even though they are chromed. Ceramic coat is really what you want for temp control and corrosion protection. You can even have them ceramic coated in different colors now also like red or blue but extra $$$.

BTW most good exh shops will fab a Y pipe for you if you cant find aftermarket so you can keep you SS exh.

Myself i dont know why everyone wants to rip off the smog gear as its not really as bad for performance as most imagine. Mostly the smog tune it whats hurting power the most.

So Thourley, Hedman, Hooker and many others.make good headers. The thicker the gauge the longer they live and the thicker the flange the better they should seal or stay sealed. Ceramic coat'm and put'm on - then don't lose sleep over it.

Good night.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:18 AM
Skybolt
Instructor

Originally Posted by cardo0
... Myself i dont know why everyone wants to rip off the smog gear as its not really as bad for performance as most imagine. Mostly the smog tune it whats hurting power the most. ...
For me its the look and how much room it all takes up and doesn't offer any benefit of being there. It doesn't even cut down on emissions. It only dilutes them so it will pass the emissions test, but that's a whole different discussion.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:54 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I purchased a set of Hooker Competition headers with the matching dual exhaust system. The '81 crossmember has to be modified or you have to purchase a different crossmember such as Summit's. Everything fits well and is basically a bolt on installation. Your choice of mufflers would have to be added to the items below.

https://www.holley.com/products/exha...arts/2456-1HKR

https://www.holley.com/products/exha...parts/16521HKR

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...model/corvette
The following users liked this post:
Skybolt (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 10:12 AM
Skybolt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Street Rat
I purchased a set of Hooker Competition headers with the matching dual exhaust system. The '81 crossmember has to be modified or you have to purchase a different crossmember such as Summit's. Everything fits well and is basically a bolt on installation. Your choice of mufflers would have to be added to the items below.

https://www.holley.com/products/exha...arts/2456-1HKR

https://www.holley.com/products/exha...parts/16521HKR

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...model/corvette
Thank you, this is one of the systems I was looking at with added flowmaster muffs.

Get notified of new replies

To Headers - true dual exhaust?

Quick Reply: Headers - true dual exhaust?