C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N Filters BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 05:44 AM
d555
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BEVO76
In 8 months I have driven the car a total of 1200 mi. If a K&N filter requires maintenance every 1000 mi then I will stick with paper. Plus not a whole lot of dirt to "trap" with a pre filter on.

Beau
Sounds like your Pre-Filter is the culprit...just seems kind of strange that you would put a High Flow filter on it, then muzzle it with a pre-filter.

I agree that a good paper element with a large filtering area is smart on a Perf. street car. I use my K&N to keep large objects as well as Bugs out of the motor...thats what they do best....as well as allow air in with limited filtering area.

Dave
Old 08-28-2016, 09:22 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Paper filters pass dirt particles also. They are smaller but it's still dirt. K&N works on the principle of oiling the filter media (this is not a new idea) to capture larger dirt particles. Those larger dirt particles now help in capturing smaller dirt particles but maybe not as small as a paper filter. But, the K&N will flow more air at high rpm which is what hot rodders like. K&N also states that cleaning is not required until the filter actually builds up enough dirt which may take years. Believe this or not, but I put a K&N filter in my '03 Sport Trac when I bought it new. I gave the filter it's one and only cleaning/oiling to date last year with 140,000 km on the clock. I'm sure others have similar experiences and thats why I have them in my other vehicles. Anyway, seeing that dirt will pass through both filters, some dirt will get into the oil. But, we also have an oil filter to trap dirt. And, we change our oil regularly to rid the engine of these particles of dirt and start the cycle all over again. Blackstone tells you that your oil is dirty. Duh, I know that! But folks waste their money for lab reports that say your engine is wearing. Duh, of course its wearing! But, oil analysis is useful for fleets of vehicles, industry and the like. Not very practical for car owners, imo.

Last edited by resdoggie; 08-28-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:18 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Paper filters pass dirt particles also. They are smaller but it's still dirt. K&N works on the principle of oiling the filter media (this is not a new idea) to capture larger dirt particles. Those larger dirt particles now help in capturing smaller dirt particles but maybe not as small as a paper filter. But, the K&N will flow more air at high rpm which is what hot rodders like. K&N also states that cleaning is not required until the filter actually builds up enough dirt which may take years. Believe this or not, but I put a K&N filter in my '03 Sport Trac when I bought it new. I gave the filter it's one and only cleaning/oiling to date last year with 140,000 km on the clock. I'm sure others have similar experiences and thats why I have them in my other vehicles. Anyway, seeing that dirt will pass through both filters, some dirt will get into the oil. But, we also have an oil filter to trap dirt. And, we change our oil regularly to rid the engine of these particles of dirt and start the cycle all over again. Blackstone tells you that your oil is dirty. Duh, I know that! But folks waste their money for lab reports that say your engine is wearing. Duh, of course its wearing! But, oil analysis is useful for fleets of vehicles, industry and the like. Not very practical for car owners, imo.

Whether a paper filter captures more dirt than an oiled filter really is pointless since I have 2 cars using K&N filters with 165,000 and almost 200,000 miles on the K&N filters and the engines. Neither burns an OZ of oil and shows zero loss of power to date. So logic tells me that if the K&N filter allows more dirt into the engine, then my engines should be showing some type of detrimental effect from "all that extra dirt". In reality (there's that dirty word again), personal experience with OVER 400,000+ miles with K&N filters (I have used them on other cars as well) has shown me zero adverse effects using these filters. So, if they flow more air (which they do) and there are no bad side effects, I am good to go for the duration with the extra air flow. On my 78 with the same K&N since 1985, I am not losing any sleep at night with the K&N filter and the 500-750 miles I drive the car a year , neither should anyone else....

As for the comment that no OEM's use oil filter mediums either, that analogy carries little weight with me since the OEM manufactures don't do a host of things that are beneficial to their factory cars that they should for various reasons....take advising owners to change their transmission fluid/filter often (say every 30,000 miles) and add a tranny cooler from the factory on every automatic tranny they install....and on and on..

Last edited by jb78L-82; 08-28-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:56 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by BEVO76
Over the past two weeks I have been chasing starting issues, rough idle in drive, and almost a stall when going from park to drive.

After a bunch of wasted hours I pulled the K&N filter, which was soaked in its own oil coating the base plate and my pre filter.

I cleaned everything up and grabbed a new spare paper filter and installed. Also replaced the M.E Wagner PCV with a stock PCV.

I was amazed all issues went away. Engine fired strong on the first crank. Idle was no longer surging, and no stalling when shifting from park to drive. Also I achieved something that hasent happened in a long time. After running the car for 10 min I shut it off, waitied 30 sec and it fired right back up stronger than ever.

I think this is very very interesting to say the least.

Hope all are well

Beau.
Sounds like you are telling us about a issue you had and then what you did to fix the problem. I see no need to for 2 pages of replies.

I have run K&N filters for over 20 years and never had a problem. You lightly oil them and then wait untill the oil wicks into the pleats.

Sounds like someone over oiled the filter and in that case a paper filter will work better.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:11 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

This has been debated hundreds of times on here .Most have already made up there minds regardless what proof or info you may have .We have the same discussion on sea foam.Use what you want ,:beatdead horse:do as you please.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:17 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Some day this may end up as a sticky with the oil and radiators.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:22 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Get an AEM Dry Flow. No oil. (Yes, I know K&N bought them).
Old 08-28-2016, 09:23 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I've had 4 vehicles with over 300k miles on each k&n filters on each cleaned 1 filter in those miles.any filter that doesn't let some dirt in won't run because there is no air either.
Maybe I'm one of the stupid unenlightened fraternity but I'm still going to use them.
I hope your problem is indeed solved.

Last edited by 7t9l82; 08-28-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:43 PM
BEVO76
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=MotorHead;1592941136]Sounds like you are telling us about a issue you had and then what you did to fix the problem.

Agreed!

Purchased an amsoil high flow air filter today....sticking with them from on.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:57 PM
BEVO76
Pro

I have been running K&N filters since I was 17....so over 20 years. This is the first time I have ever had any issues. But I will say this it only takes once for me. My engine was running horribly at no fault of my own. A lot of people make some foolish comments on here. "You didnt do maintenence" or "you oiled it too much" blah blah blah. Im not stupid and know how to oil a K&N filter as I said I have been doing it for 20 years. All I was offering was a tip....I put on a paper filter and it runs better than it did the day it went in the car. I have over 12K in that engine so I will be damned that it will run poorly. So bottom line if you have these symptoms put a paper filter on it. Or keep the K&N on there and waster your time trying to fix it because "its probably timing, the carb, or your PCV"....makes no difference to me.

Beau
The following users liked this post:
slickfx3 (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 10:11 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

more cars run with paper than mesh in the world, no contest....

the fastest production cars in the world leave the factory with what?

the .00000000005 hp you think you are getting aint worth the trouble
Old 08-28-2016, 10:37 PM
BEVO76
Pro

Originally Posted by slickfx3
more cars run with paper than mesh in the world, no contest....

the fastest production cars in the world leave the factory with what?

the .00000000005 hp you think you are getting aint worth the trouble

Quick Reply: K&N Filters BEWARE