C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 speedo trouble shooting

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 12:36 PM
7ron9
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 79 speedo trouble shooting

My speedo is in op. vehicle has cruise control. Started to trouble shoot at the dash input to the transducer. Ran a drill and the needle works. Disconnected the cable at the transmission. Ran the drill and needle did not move. Installed a new cruise control transducer by the numbers and expected the needle to jump off the peg during a test drive...no joy. Dejected after working in such close quarters with the old and new transducer removal and replacement. Does the cable from the transmission To the transducer have a plastic bit on it? I found a plastic bit in side the old transducer, removed it and placed it in the new assembly then reinserted the cable from the transmission and tightened it down. Was this an install mistake and should I have left that out. My speedo cable is relatively new. Is the end of it suppose to have the plastic thread attached or could this be the problem and I need a new lower cable to my transducer.

A lot of words but a lot of work so far with negative results. Prior to failure the needle was sometimes jumping around and not holding steady.

Thank you

7ron9
Old 09-04-2016, 01:31 PM
StDomingos
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm certainly no expert, but I just replace the cruise transducer on my 81 last month. I did not move any plastic bit from the old transducer to the new one.

Is it possible that the old transducer sheared off part of the old cable from the transmission to the transducer and that is what you are seeing? You may want to have a good look at the cable ends.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:36 PM
7ron9
Intermediate

Originally Posted by StDomingos
I'm certainly no expert, but I just replace the cruise transducer on my 81 last month. I did not move any plastic bit from the old transducer to the new one.

Is it possible that the old transducer sheared off part of the old cable from the transmission to the transducer and that is what you are seeing? You may want to have a good look at the cable ends.
Wish I new the answer to that. Idid Not install the cable. The cable end going into the transducer is metal and looks ok, but don't know if that plastic bit was part of the cable assy.

Thank you will keep trying...maybe a blow up of the part on line will answer the question.

7ron9
Old 09-05-2016, 04:56 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I'm assuming you'd really like to keep the cruise control, i know I would, but you could bypass is with the standard speedo cable for a non cruise car and get your speedo working.
The following users liked this post:
7ron9 (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 12:31 PM
7ron9
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
I'm assuming you'd really like to keep the cruise control, i know I would, but you could bypass is with the standard speedo cable for a non cruise car and get your speedo working.
I sure do. Picked up the lower cable to day....we will see what happens. Thank you
7ron9
Old 09-06-2016, 08:52 PM
blk79nj
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I think the problem is the lower cable. As the transducer wears, it puts more and more tension on the lower cable until it fails. Since you replace the transducer, the new cable should do the trick.

On my 79, ended up with one cable. The old transducer is there for a later time...
7ron9 (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 08:02 AM
7ron9
Intermediate

Default 79 speedo trouble shooting

Originally Posted by blk79nj
I think the problem is the lower cable. As the transducer wears, it puts more and more tension on the lower cable until it fails. Since you replace the transducer, the new cable should do the trick.

On my 79, ended up with one cable. The old transducer is there for a later time...
Thank you. Today is the day. Hope my new cable (lower) gets the needle off the zero.

7ron9
Old 09-08-2016, 08:21 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

some replacement (universale cables) are cut to length and then heated up and the plastic piece is pressed on, cable allowed to cool and thus you have the right length, only problem is they break off!
7ron9 (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 07:23 AM
7ron9
Intermediate

Default Speedo inop

Originally Posted by lvmyvt76
some replacement (universale cables) are cut to length and then heated up and the plastic piece is pressed on, cable allowed to cool and thus you have the right length, only problem is they break off!
That answers the question. My new lower cable did not have a plastic insert. Now I have an operable calibrated tach, functional new cruise control, working speedo, and mauled up hands. Worth the effort.

7ron9

Get notified of new replies

To 79 speedo trouble shooting

Quick Reply: 79 speedo trouble shooting