C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 01:23 PM
pgdg72
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1981 corvette

my 81 Corvette will not start but turns over. I did charge the battery while it was still connected. I got it to run then it quit and I have been unable to start it since. Someone here mentioned a 4 wire on the distributer but I am not sure which one that is. Also mentioned is the ECM but I think it would run if that were bad.
thanks
DG
Old 09-05-2016, 04:03 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Is this just a recent occurrence of is this something that has been on going?

If your battery is messed up, you need to check the alternator for proper charging. You said that you were able to get it to run with a proper battery charge but it died quickly? Smells of a charging issue.

Undo a spark plug wire (wear gloves) hold it close to a know ground and crank the engine. If no spark go to the distributor and check the connections of the coil, etc. as you outlined., but my guess is that you have a charging issue.

Sure, the ECM could be faulty but that is remote.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:50 PM
texas jim
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have the battery checked, may have a bad cell... When my Corvette sat different times, the battery got low and just wouldn't spin the engine quick enough to start it. Process of elimination... Hot battery and go from there.

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 corvette

Quick Reply: 1981 corvette