C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video: 1978 intermittent runs rough

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 07:42 PM
1978BackToLife
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video: 1978 intermittent runs rough

I put together a video of my 1978 behaving badly.

At cold idle, the car seems to run well. A slight feeling of a "miss" here and there but generally, pretty well.

As the engine begins to heat up, it will begin to intermittently start running rough. Originally it felt like a cylinder missing to me, however I'm noticing the whole engine will start to dog in general: runs smooth, kicks down and starts running rough, clicks back in runs smooth.

When it's been at operating temperature for a good 10-15 minutes, it will continuously run rough, and will barely come back to run smooth. I've replaced a lot of the standard culprits, so I'm sort of at a loss and would appreciate any insight? I'm hesitant to take it to a shop where they start replacing stuff as a shot in the dark without a good diagnosis. Thanks very much for any help.

Work that's been done over the last 6 months:
Plugs and Wires, AC Delco / premium wires routed correctly through mounts and heat shields
Distributor Cap and Rotor
Ignition Control Module
Distributor Coil
Distributor vacuum advance still holds vacuum
Complete Carburetor Rebuild including accel pump, fuel filter etc.
Valve Cover Gaskets
Fuel Pump and flex lines
Water Pump
Vacuum hoses generally checked and replaced where faulty
Alternator looks like relatively new replace by previous owner
Battery

Last edited by 1978BackToLife; 09-06-2016 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:45 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 1978BackToLife

https://youtu.be/fQ-ZGkyS73I

At cold idle, the car seems to run well. A slight feeling of a "miss" here and there but generally, pretty well.

As the engine begins to heat up, it will begin to intermittently start running rough. Originally it felt like a cylinder missing to me, however I'm noticing the whole engine will start to dog in general: runs smooth, kicks down and starts running rough, clicks back in runs smooth.

When it's been at operating temperature for a good 10-15 minutes, it will continuously run rough, and will barely come back to run smooth. I've replaced a lot of the standard culprits, so I'm sort of at a loss and would appreciate any insight? I'm hesitant to take it to a shop where they start replacing stuff as a shot in the dark without a good diagnosis. Thanks very much for any help.

Plugs and Wires, AC Delco / premium wires routed correctly through mounts and heat shields
Ignition Control Module
Distributor Coil
Valve Cover Gaskets
Fuel Pump and flex lines
Water Pump
Battery
On my '78 L48..I had an experienced- competent older gearhead do the Qjet rebuild incl new upgraded brass float..then tuned the carb engine and we adjusted timing way different than fact specs..(about 18 degrees above.TDC..) stock plugs, stock gap.045..new wires..dist overhauled..etc..I also run 92 octane..NON ETHANOL gas..Mine has no cat converter..straight ss exhausts from performance headers to twin mufflers rear.Car gets up and goes great, waay fast enuf for us..and no flutter or missing of hesitation thru any of the power range..Jim
Old 09-07-2016, 06:57 PM
sparky77
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

It sounds like when the engine is hot you have a bad lifter or maybe a broken rocker arm,could be a bent pushrod.If you still have an EGR valve and a air cleaner valve one or both could have a leak when the engine gets up to temp.Unplug one vac line at a time with the engine at temp and see if they are holding vac also pull one valve cover off than the other and check to see were that ticking noise is coming from.

Last edited by sparky77; 09-07-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:31 PM
caryb78
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1978BackToLife

https://youtu.be/fQ-ZGkyS73I

Ignition Control Module
Distributor Coil
Valve Cover Gaskets
Fuel Pump and flex lines
Water Pump
Battery
I would take the time to adjust the valves. You definitely have one lifter that is noisy and I would bet others could use some adjusting.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:43 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

That valve train knock or click needs looking at . I you aren't an experienced mechanic , I would suggest taking it to to someone who knows old engines inside out.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:09 PM
MajD
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I agree with Sparky about the EGR valve. The EGR valve is tied to the vacuum source through a thermal switch. When the engine is cold, the vacuum thermal switch blocks the signal to the EGR valve. As the engine heats up, the valve opens and activates the EGR. One symptom of a failing EGR is rough idle and misfire.

I would think if your problem was caused by a bad valve train component, you would hear it more when the engine is cold and the rough idle would be there regardless of temperature. Good luck, idle problems can be a bitch to find.

Maj D
Old 09-08-2016, 12:37 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

I had this same problem on a Monza I once owned.
Closed the plug gaps some and it idled nice and smooth.

I suggest closing the plug gaps to .040" and try that.....

Have you done a compression check with engine both hot and cold to see if the engine is in good health?

Last edited by OMF; 09-08-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:40 PM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Common HEI failure mode of running good when cold and then rough like starving for fuel once hot. Pop the cap and rotor and you'll see what looks like rust on the advance mechanism from a bad rotor allowing sparks to hit the module and over time causing it to fail. Replaced rotor and modules in several cars over the years for this exact issue.

if you had electronics coolant spray you could hit the module after its hot and it would then run good until it warms back up.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:36 PM
Ryan Menzies
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I 3rd the EGR. Sounds like the engine definitely has lifter noise but that's not going to cause you "intermittent". However it certainly needs some attention.
I can just imagine the carbon build up on the EGR pintle though ! As suggested above, remove the hose and plug it. Give the EGR a few little taps on the side with a small hammer and let us know.

Get notified of new replies

To Video: 1978 intermittent runs rough

Quick Reply: Video: 1978 intermittent runs rough