C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 alignment at home

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 04:32 PM
VancouverL71
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Just a quick update as I move forward. I realize any adjustment to the rear toe and camber is considerable work so I decided to leave that for a bit as rear shims are a big job and I tried to adjust the strut rods bolts for rear camber but realized I will need an impact wrench to loosen the cam bolts.

However up front, good news. I have added a pile of shims and have adjusted the caster to 1.65 left and 2.1 right and now have the front wheels at .2 positive camber each. I just had 3/32 shims so have ordered a pack of various sizes and should be able to adjust out to what I need by adding and subtracting some smaller shims. Toe in is now 1/16" but I know what ignatz means by "is it repeatable"

More work to do however, I am about to take the scary all over the road car out for a rip and see if it has tamed down somewhat. MORE TO FOLLOW

Should an absolute novice even attempt to align at home.

Answer is absolutely, Thank you Cago, Ignatz, JNB and Rev

But buy these tools first
SHIMS, plus below

Pete

Simple laser level for about $70 from Lowes

Magnetic camber level attached to straight steel
Old 11-29-2016, 01:21 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by VancouverL71
Just a quick update as I move forward. I realize any adjustment to the rear toe and camber is considerable work so I decided to leave that for a bit as rear shims are a big job and I tried to adjust the strut rods bolts for rear camber but realized I will need an impact wrench to loosen the cam bolts.

However up front, good news. I have added a pile of shims and have adjusted the caster to 1.65 left and 2.1 right and now have the front wheels at .2 positive camber each. I just had 3/32 shims so have ordered a pack of various sizes and should be able to adjust out to what I need by adding and subtracting some smaller shims. Toe in is now 1/16" but I know what ignatz means by "is it repeatable"

More work to do however, I am about to take the scary all over the road car out for a rip and see if it has tamed down somewhat. MORE TO FOLLOW

Should an absolute novice even attempt to align at home.

Answer is absolutely, Thank you Cago, Ignatz, JNB and Rev

But buy these tools first
SHIMS, plus below

Pete
Waiting!
Curious if your measurements were repeatable. I just ordered a Longacre kit for my xmas present.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:34 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Waiting!
Curious if your measurements were repeatable. I just ordered a Longacre kit for my xmas present.
Which kit did you order.

This is the one I have.

http://www.longacreracing.com/produc...%84%a2+Adapter
Old 11-29-2016, 08:47 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

This one because I have four vehicles with wheel diameters of 14-19":

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...8298/overview/

And this:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...9501/overview/
Old 12-07-2016, 07:38 PM
VancouverL71
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Res,
I am dying to find out if my work and results are repeatable. I know the front end of the car is good as the tie rods, idler arm and ball joints have all been done, but not perfect as I have not yet done the control arm bushings. But,,,, I drove the car just after my last alignment post and it was much much tamer to drive. Good news so I am on the right track!

However, the car overheated after about 15 min and that lead me to removing the carbs, manifold, radiator etc etc. So I can't get back to the alignment until I get the engine back together. As soon as I do I will be back on the alignment issues and will let you know.

As I mentioned, I do have some toe in on the rear left wheel so I will probably pull and redo the trailing arms. Seems one thing always leads to another. I am resisting doing the body off at this stage but its not easy.
Thanks again for the help you guys provided and more to follow.
Pete
Old 12-08-2016, 09:16 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

Thanks for getting back to us. Hopefully you'll get your issues sorted out soon.

I did a quick check of my camber and it's not where I want it to be but within factory specs when I had my vette aligned early this year after replacing bushings front and rear. The Longacre kit is well built and mine has the digital guage. Can't wait to get into it over the winter months. I'll be back to give an update.
The following users liked this post:
sunflower 1972 (09-23-2017)

Quick Reply: 1969 alignment at home