C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Autocross potential

Old 09-14-2016, 03:49 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,890 Likes on 2,562 Posts

Originally Posted by ddawson
Google Danny Popps. May not be cheap but what he built works.

http://www.superchevy.com/features/1...ette-stingray/
A friends sister rode in this car last year at the Goodguys deal and got quite a thrill.......Danny asked her if she got nauseas at all.....and she laughed and said no.....

I stared at this car a lot when I was doing my update.......just a kick a**, simple yet effective machine.

Jebby
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
corvettedave383 (09-25-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 04:10 PM
Wheelman359
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by terry82
I would like a 71 or 72 240 .having the chevy motor has to make it a lot of fun.
Mine is a 73, maybe we could work a deal and then I could buy that project redvetracr posted.

PM if you are interested and I'll send you some pictures and links to videos of it in action.

If you're interested in crazy Z cars you should check out Hybridz.org.
It's a website dedicated to building crazy Z cars.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:11 PM
Wheelman359
8th Gear

Originally Posted by redvetracr
I have this project available you could finish any way you like, send a PM if you or anyone else is interested
Any idea what you'd want for it?
Where are you located, I have a car trailer to drag it home on if we could work a deal.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:35 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
A friends sister rode in this car last year at the Goodguys deal and got quite a thrill.......Danny asked her if she got nauseas at all.....and she laughed and said no.....

I stared at this car a lot when I was doing my update.......just a kick a**, simple yet effective machine.

Jebby
I use it as a background on work computer, it worked as a nice save at the last job to keep me from going F@# it I'm out.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:35 PM
suprspooky
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by redvetracr
I have this project available you could finish any way you like, send a PM if you or anyone else is interested
PM sent
Old 09-14-2016, 06:17 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

interested also probbaly couldnt afford it but gotta ask..pics would be great too. Love those old Zs
Old 09-14-2016, 06:31 PM
Wheelman359
8th Gear

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
interested also probbaly couldnt afford it but gotta ask..pics would be great too. Love those old Zs
Here are a couple pictures from a few years ago, the car still looks essentially the same.

Here's a shot of the engine bay taken before I painted the the car black and grey.

Last edited by Wheelman359; 09-14-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Metalhead140 (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 08:17 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

sure does look like fun but, I cant let go of my 82.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:22 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

looks like a fun rollerskate
trans interior price?
Old 09-14-2016, 08:53 PM
texaswilkins
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Until just recently I raced my 82 in the CAMS-S category here in DFW with the Texas SCCA. As old and slow as it is they really didn't care which category it was in as long as I registered. That category down here is basically the new mustang club. They should beat me and badly but sometimes people forget that autocross is as much about skill as it is tech and I would beat some of them. They all gathered around the offending new guy and ridiculed him. My car has better springs, exhaust and fuel pressure but the same factory rear end and engine it left with over 30 years ago. 17 inch Z rated tires made a huge difference. I only beat about 10 percent of the people there but man was it fun. For a couple grand you could put way better suspension front and rear and a much better rear end and those would really change the way a C-3 reacts on the course. If I get another C-3 I'll do in order tires, rear end, front suspension, rear suspension and finally engine. MAACO gets to paint the next one.

Bill
Old 09-14-2016, 08:58 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

. MAACO gets to paint the next one.]
Never thought id say it but agree
Super nice/exensive paint jobs are too much hassle to own
I like to drive them...if the paint is cheap or even old but Ok you find yourself taking them everywhere without worrying. Looking for something like that now.
Did the "perfect car" thing wouldnt ever do it again
Good drivetrain brakes "ok" interior and old paint or primer got the most enjoyment out of ownership that way
Old 09-14-2016, 09:12 PM
Wheelman359
8th Gear

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
looks like a fun rollerskate
trans interior price?
Transmission is a GM World Class T5 from an 89 Trans Am.
Interior is mostly stock wit the exception of seats from an Acura Integra and 5 points harnesses and associated attachment bar. I even retained the stock tach and speedo with required adjustments so they read correctly.

Price is a tough one, the car has become part of the family so it'll be tough to let it go. I'd like to get $10k for it.

Here is a list of all the parts:
Iron headed 95 LT1, rebuilt with 11:1 pistons, 1.6:1 roller rockers, 2" intake, 1.6" exhaust valves, stock rods and crank, bored 30 over, LT4 hot cam, 3.5" Camaro MAF. Computer tune hand massaged by me.
16lbs flywheel from a 305, external balanced like the LT1.
Emissions stuff deleted.
PCM controlled fan from a ford Taurus.
R200 Diff, 3.56:1 gears, power brute clutch type LSD.
Custom CV joint axles (absolutely no binding through entire range of movement)
Large sway bars front and rear.
Ground Control coilovers with 250lbs spring front, 225lbs rear.
Koni Yellow single adjustable racing dampers
Sectioned strut tubes to allow lower stance without bottoming the suspension.
Power steering added, 1999 Subaru Forrester rack, stock GM pump.
Adjustable brake bias, stock balance valve removed.
Front and rear disk brakes, vented rotors front, solid rear, 4 piston front calipers from Toyota 4x4, rear calipers from a Nissan Maxima.
Front hubs from a 280Z.
All rust removed, new front frame rails added when power steering was installed. Front and rear "frame" sections tied together to stiffen the chassis.
Plastic fuel tank from a 2001 Camaro with in tank pump.
No radio, heater core works but the fan doesn't.
Steering column ignition switch failed so I bypassed it and installed power and starter switches in the center console.

I'm sure there's more but I can't remember all of it right now.

I'll see if I can find some videos and post them.
I last raced it in 2014 with a co-driver. Between the 2 of us we took FTD at all the events where the car wasn't broken.
The year prior I was able to set FTD a couple times myself.

The car is a blast to drive on the autocross track, although a bit brutal on the street due to the stiff chassis. The engine is a typical LT1 though, very civilized until you mash the loud pedal, then things get real interesting real quick.

Edit: Forgot to mention the suspension control arms, they're from Techno Toy Tuning, are fully adjustable and have rod ends rather than bushings. Made it possible to add some toe in on the rear which REALLY helps it plant and go, also got rid of that vague "alright whats it gonna do now feeling" I'm sure the C3 rear suffers from. With the current alignment its a mostly neutral car with a little bias toward loose which is how I like it. I hate a car that under steers.

Edit Again: Here's a site where my co-driver from 2014 posted some videos of the car. http://www.ps3youtube.com/user/rbang504

Last edited by Wheelman359; 09-14-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Metalhead140 (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 10:33 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Cool Zed! I'd drive it.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:36 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Awesome machine! With all the LT-1's available now I was wondering which one!!

BTW I have a 96 Z28 and love its modded LT-1
Old 09-25-2016, 02:44 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

We used to beat every form of Miata even the ones with the Mustang V8's (Monster Miatas) by almost 10 seconds on an 80 second course and also the BMW's and usually the C4s in our C3 back when we ran 1987- mid 90's!

We usually were FTD of the Corvettes if we came out without issues (prepared). We could hit 1.3 range sustained, with a lot of oil control mods and tricks like Accusump! I have never seen a Datsun pull more than we were pulling and no where near 1.8! If you were pulling that, you would be beating mod class cars!

OK the wheelbase of a Z is shorter, but the weight balance with a V8 would be pretty $hitty if it wasn't all aluminum!

If your car obtains the numbers you claim, you would beat all of the Corvettes! It looks like it sits to high and it doesn't look like it is dramatically stiffened by a cage! I will see if I can enlarge the photo to see better!

Maybe if you could find a cheap Corvette and strip everything to lighten it, you may be on your way, but any decent Suspension is going to be 10k in parts and work or more to run with newer Corvettes and that won't touch a 1.8 Datsun! Then you need the rest of the drivetrain, etc.!

The video you posted hard to see without a graph, but in the hairpin was seeing about 1- 1.10 G but we could not see if the car was holding! The highest spikes looked like they went as high as 1.35 very momentarily! Most spikes were in the 1.15 to about 1.9! Would have to run the video in slow mo or see a graph and an outside of the car run! I have a lot of tire data on the old rubber and modern as to g force capability that I could look up

If you buy a turn key C5, you will have far less costs, than what it would take to build a competitive C3!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 09-25-2016 at 03:14 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C3 Autocross potential