C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to cool the interior 81

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 04:21 PM
MarkinSETX
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to cool the interior 81

Alrighty. The interior on my 81 gets pretty warm after a while. The PO replaced carpeting and interior work, but they did not put down any dynamat or other hear barrier. I also need to check the vacuum and switch for the AC controls, but that's another topic. What would be the best to start with in getting the heat out of the cabin? I am thinking pull the seats and install dynamat under the carpet, swap out to ceramic headers, or maybe wrap the exhaust under the cabin. What to start with? Any headers a direct swap or will i have to have them welded up if I go that route? Thanks for any tips.

​​​​​​Stroked 383, mild cam, I think stock pretty much everything else.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:03 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkinSETX
Alrighty. The interior on my 81 gets pretty warm after a while. The PO replaced carpeting and interior work, but they did not put down any dynamat or other hear barrier. I also need to check the vacuum and switch for the AC controls, but that's another topic. What would be the best to start with in getting the heat out of the cabin? I am thinking pull the seats and install dynamat under the carpet, swap out to ceramic headers, or maybe wrap the exhaust under the cabin. What to start with? Any headers a direct swap or will i have to have them welded up if I go that route? Thanks for any tips.

​​​​​​Stroked 383, mild cam, I think stock pretty much everything else.
hmm..B4 you redo the interior insulation..
Take time to troubleshoot the hvac system, vacuum stuff..vent controls etc..Get the A/C system looked at by someone competent..

Even in texas..in warmest weather..your car can be comfortable to drive IF the A/C and vents-ductwork are working properly..jim
Old 09-20-2016, 06:56 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

Old 09-20-2016, 07:01 PM
MarkinSETX
Intermediate

OK, that's a solid tip. I will evaluate the ac first. The air is cold, it just comes out at your feet. I am not sure they got the vacuum hooked back up to the switch to control the dampers, or if the switch is leaking. I will run that all out first, cheaper than pulling up the interior. I learn a littler more about this all the time. Thanks for the suggestion of a starting point.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:38 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Good a/c system, dark tint on Windows/t-tops, dynamat/dynaliner, good weather strips. I've got a black on black '81 that will freeze you out in the Texas weather. Feel free to pm me with any questions.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:52 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 542 Posts

And if you're not a fan of dark tinted windows, I believe there is a clear film that they can apply that knocks out a lot of the heat coming thru the glass.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:31 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

1) roll down the windows
2) Cowboy the fawk up

Sorry, up North where we only get 14 hours of summer, we envy you guys. I cant imagine operating this car in real heat, I know my cabin with the tops off and windows down will still make me sweat on a 90 degree day.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:57 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

Put that foam insert in the trans tunnel to block the heat from getting through there....
Old 09-20-2016, 09:04 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

I would get a infrared heat gun .there cheap now.drive for a short then point at the floor ,fire wall or any were you think the heat is coming from. on my 82 there were lots of places on the fire wall that had leaks.put on a manual in line water shut off valve.seal the ac box inside the engine compartment.https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&pag...d%20heat%20gun
Old 09-20-2016, 10:25 PM
maxmachz
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If the air only comes out at your feet, there is a small vacuum line that has come apart right behind the distributor in the engine bay that controls the vent selection. Look close with a bright light and you'll find it.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:33 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have dark tint on side windows and rear window and clear ceramic film on glass tops and windshield, unbelievable difference.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:27 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by terry82
put on a manual in line water shut off valve
This too.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:40 AM
MarkinSETX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Scottd
1) roll down the windows
2) Cowboy the fawk up
Even at 102 I prefer to ride with the windows down, I don't use the ac. This is to make my wife comfortable driving it. I am used to the heat and it doesn't bother me.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:51 AM
MarkinSETX
Intermediate

Thanks for the tip on the vacuum line, I just haven't traced it out from the switch. I am hoping it's just a line disconnected and not the switch leaking. I have been looking thru the aim and at some of Wilcox diagrams, just have not taken the time to delve into it yet.

I will look at the tranny tunnel pad, will probably start with dynamat in the cabin first and see how that works. I have a thermal gun, will have to pull it and get some readings. Thanks for all of the tips.

I have thought about tinting, but the heat is from the engine bay and transmission more than the windows. I can deal with the temp, it will probably feel nice in the winter. My wife doesn't like to sweat, she is a firm believer in ac. If I can get the ac running right that would help, but I would like to keep the heat out better do the ac can function to its fullest extent. Thanks again for the tips.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:33 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkinSETX
Thanks for the tip on the vacuum line, I just haven't traced it out from the switch. I am hoping it's just a line disconnected and not the switch leaking. I have been looking thru the aim and at some of Wilcox diagrams, just have not taken the time to delve into it yet.

I will look at the tranny tunnel pad, will probably start with dynamat in the cabin first and see how that works. I have a thermal gun, will have to pull it and get some readings. Thanks for all of the tips.

I have thought about tinting, but the heat is from the engine bay and transmission more than the windows. I can deal with the temp, it will probably feel nice in the winter. My wife doesn't like to sweat, she is a firm believer in ac. If I can get the ac running right that would help, but I would like to keep the heat out better do the ac can function to its fullest extent. Thanks again for the tips.
6 screws and a lamp socket hold the glove box INTERIOR in place..Behind the glove box is a bypass valve with 2 vac lines going to it AND the cable mech that is connected to the temp control lever on the hvac console..The cable possibly needs to be adjusted so when temp is set to Cold and max A/C is selected and fan on HI..the hot water is shut off to the heater hose solenoid AND the proper vent doors are opened..This adjustment is best Done with glove box interior out, car running and R/S console panel removed..The cable is adjusted shorter or longer by the turnbuckle affait in the cable...Not sure why but many cars of our vintage have that cable mal- adjusted..and it's a simple fix..Jim
Old 09-21-2016, 08:28 PM
rebel542
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a book published by Prestige Publishing, Air Conditioning Strategies for the 63-82 Corvette written by Michael J Davis. This book will solve all your problems, even if you don't do but half of what he suggest. The one thing you can't live without is the insulation. I used the stuff that looks like thin bubble wrap with foil backing on my 79. Install it everywhere. Even on the firewall and behind the pillow post moulding. I get 41* out of my vents even on the hottest North Carolina days.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:32 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rebel542
There is a book published by Prestige Publishing, Air Conditioning Strategies for the 63-82 Corvette written by Michael J Davis. This book will solve all your problems, even if you don't do but half of what he suggest. The one thing you can't live without is the insulation. I used the stuff that looks like thin bubble wrap with foil backing on my 79. Install it everywhere. Even on the firewall and behind the pillow post moulding. I get 41* out of my vents even on the hottest North Carolina days.
The book is out of print. I got lucky and found one on flea bay. Excellent information if you can find one.

I made a mistake.

Edit: I just checked Amazon and there are some used and new ones available.

https://www.amazon.com/Air-Condition.../dp/0934786097

Last edited by Street Rat; 09-22-2016 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Add Info.

Get notified of new replies

To How to cool the interior 81

Quick Reply: How to cool the interior 81