C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 pulled over for roadside inspection

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 09:43 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

I am curious about what you got pulled over for in the first place.

Was this a Metro or OPP cop, or one of the MOE's officers? Where did this happen? What was the deal about the chrome oil cap; what does that have to do with anything?!?!

I believe here in Ontario, your car is required to have any and all emissions equipment that it had from the factory when new. Even if your car is old enough to be exempt from emissions testing, the equipment must still be in place.

The police can look under the hood or in the trunk or glove box for no reason if they ask you for permission and you give it. They can't force you to open either without probable cause, which is a very touchy subject.

In short he must believe one of the following:

1. Your engine fails to meet the capabilities ensuring the safe operation of your car in concurrence with the motor vehicle code.
2. The performance involved in the engine is producing visible irregularities in the operation of the vehicle.
3. You complain that the engine caused a traffic violation of your alleged commission, he has the cause to inspect it to ensure safety.("I ran the light because the gas was stuck")
4. He has a warrant issues by an acting judge.

The Police officer is allowed to call someone from the MOE, and they can visually inspect the vehicle at any given time, however they are not allowed to touch or disturb anything on the car.

There is an active Canadian section here on the forum, you should post this there, maybe someone with more knowledge of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act can help you.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ian-events-97/

Old 09-22-2016, 11:29 PM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

Sorry to hear. Guess Rush has had some premonitions:

My uncle has a country place
That no one knows about
He says it used to be a farm
Before the Motor Law
And now on Sundays I elude the eyes
And hop the turbine freight
To far outside the wire where my
White-haired uncle waits
Jump to the ground as the turbo slows
To cross the borderline
Run like the wind as excitement shivers
Up and down my spine
But down in his barn
My uncle preserved for me
An old machine
For fifty-odd years
To keep it as new
Has been his dearest dream
I strip away the old debris
That hides a shining car
A brilliant Red Barchetta
From a better vanished time
We'll fire up the willing engine
Responding with a roar
Tires spitting gravel
I commit my weekly crime
Wind
In my hair
Shifting and drifting
Mechanical music
Adrenaline surge
Well-oiled leather
Hot…
Old 09-23-2016, 06:19 AM
jobber26
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Move to VA

Too bad you don't live in Virginia, US. After 26 years I bought Antique tags for my 1976 Corvette, a one time purchase, and no more inspections, taxes, emissions, registration, tags, ZILCH!!! I could put a rocket engine in there and no one would know. I realize this doesn't help you, but try this or something similar; I couldn't live without mine when I was doing the restoration: https://www.amazon.com/CORVETTE-FACT.../dp/B00PX078ZC

Good Luck & screw the RCMP!!!
Old 09-23-2016, 09:14 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

Write your political representative, and mention there are a lot of classic car owners' votes in jeopardy. That's the ONLY way anything gets done.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:58 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by kcochran
I'm tempted to keep hunting and rip out the whole mess and start over. LS is too ambitious so this seemed a logical half step
Go to your local GM parts house and order a Erod
http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines.html
Old 09-23-2016, 02:30 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Sounds like a great place to live.

No handguns, no muscle cars. But hey you've got free crappy health care!

-- Joe
The following users liked this post:
Torqued Off (09-24-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 05:23 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

I had understood that in Canada the authorities would cruise car shows looking for open hoods and violations therein. Here in the US, municipalities look at GoogleEarth back yards for code violations. It takes special kinds of people to think this way.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:40 PM
COOLTED
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QvMe2oWpyw
Old 09-23-2016, 05:50 PM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 116 Posts

I have this off a 83 Montte Carlo SS

Old 09-26-2016, 05:14 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

Default Be careful in Virginia as they have new toys

This past year my mechanic warned me about a new "mobile exhaust analyzer" that is set up on the roadside where it can analyze your emissions as you drive by.
If your cars emissions are out of wack or just too high you get a nasty letter from the State which then gives you a couple weeks to repair it or loose your license plates.
This does not only apply to cars from Virginia but any car on any Virginia highway. I have seen one unit on a on-ramp to the beltway around Washington D.C., this one was unattended as most are to not draw attention to the equipment.
They have multiple cameras and are set up on both sides of the road so they can get a good picture of your license. Big brother is getting serious and is using some high tech toys to help them.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:48 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ignatz
I had understood that in Canada the authorities would cruise car shows looking for open hoods and violations therein. Here in the US, municipalities look at GoogleEarth back yards for code violations. It takes special kinds of people to think this way.
The day after I got pulled over was the start of Corvette wknd at Wasaga Beach which used to be one of the biggest Corvette only shows in Canada. The officer told me that they were going to setup a roadside check. I had gone to the show for years but didn't go that wknd so no idea if they followed through on roadside checks. He said that they would walk by and check engine bays while the hoods were open.

ctmccloskey, what std are they using for emssions? If more states and provinces adopt this I can see fuel inj setup sales going way up.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:49 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by ctmccloskey
This past year my mechanic warned me about a new "mobile exhaust analyzer" that is set up on the roadside where it can analyze your emissions as you drive by.
If your cars emissions are out of wack or just too high you get a nasty letter from the State which then gives you a couple weeks to repair it or loose your license plates.
This does not only apply to cars from Virginia but any car on any Virginia highway. I have seen one unit on a on-ramp to the beltway around Washington D.C., this one was unattended as most are to not draw attention to the equipment.
They have multiple cameras and are set up on both sides of the road so they can get a good picture of your license. Big brother is getting serious and is using some high tech toys to help them.
I would find this hard to prove in court. Googling " Rapid Pass" which I guess is the catchy name for the system. Its set up as a convenience so as You don't need to go to a testing facility. There is a sign telling you about the test ahead and you can pass threw the sensor and if you later get a letter telling you you passed then there is no need to have the car tested. If you fail or your from another state you don't get any letter. If they started failing Cars and not allowing them to renew there license's I could see a high vandalism problem might start with the un manned test equipment.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:54 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

In Washington State, of which we have " The Greenest Governor in the Country " Emissions are coming to an end. If You own a car 25 years or older there is no need to do Emissions anymore. Same for any Car built since 2009.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:14 PM
LT-1 kid
Melting Slicks

Received 245 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Ydnar44
Wow, almost surreal, I thought Illinois sucked,. Here in about 3 weeks I got about 10 qts of Mobil one I'm going to use to burn off a bunch of leaves right along the street.
Illinois has no field inspection for cars, the only cars that are emissions
tested are only the ones that plug in- 96 and newer, if they cant plug
it in they (state) dont give 2 craps about it, you can do what you want.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:28 PM
PonchoVette
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by claysmoker
Sorry to hear. Guess Rush has had some premonitions:

My uncle has a country place
That no one knows about
He says it used to be a farm
Before the Motor Law
And now on Sundays I elude the eyes
And hop the turbine freight
To far outside the wire where my
White-haired uncle waits
Jump to the ground as the turbo slows
To cross the borderline
Run like the wind as excitement shivers
Up and down my spine
But down in his barn
My uncle preserved for me
An old machine
For fifty-odd years
To keep it as new
Has been his dearest dream
I strip away the old debris
That hides a shining car
A brilliant Red Barchetta
From a better vanished time
We'll fire up the willing engine
Responding with a roar
Tires spitting gravel
I commit my weekly crime
Wind
In my hair
Shifting and drifting
Mechanical music
Adrenaline surge
Well-oiled leather
Hot…
Well done sir.
Lost on some, but not on me.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:30 PM
white1980vette
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kcochran
I got pulled over during one my my last drives of the year, asked to inspect the car. Cops took the plates and left a lovely $300 fine, had to get towed home.

Car is missing EGR, AIR pump and cataltyic converters

1) need the pump, which for some reason never comes with the pulley? I need some valve behind it as well, haven't been able to really tell from ecklers / willcox etc what all that is.

2) EGR valve + gasket. EGR thermostat to bolt into the intake.

3) need to get the long tube headers welded with an EGR port as well presumably

4) high flow cats x2. Do I get something with the air port built in, or get the exhaust shop to just weld in a tube?

I've found locally an 94 LT1 engine for a couple hundred dollars, has all the accessories. Wondering if it may be better in the long run to just upgrade instead of spending hundreds to thousands making this engine not really better. There are some gold flakes in the oil that I'm hoping are the distributer but not sure.

If I upgrade I still need all the exhaust work done to pass, but basically get a free engine to go with the smog pump / EGR setup. Thoughts? Am I missing a step?

Anyone in the Ontario area have a smog setup to sell?
hello i live here in toronto with a 1980 corvette i need more infor on this thank u
Old 09-28-2016, 07:06 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by LT-1 kid
Illinois has no field inspection for cars, the only cars that are emissions
tested are only the ones that plug in- 96 and newer, if they cant plug
it in they (state) dont give 2 craps about it, you can do what you want.
In NH we have the 20 year rule. The law is very hot-rod friendly, as it specifically states that the converter, smog equipment, etc can be removed once the vehicle is 20 years old.

The state realizes that the percentage of older cars is very small, and that most of these vehicles are collector cars. The contribution to smog is very low.

It's going to be nice in a few years when the early C5's become exempt. We're going to start seeing some crazy 1,000hp LSx street cars.

-- Joe

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 pulled over for roadside inspection

Old 09-28-2016, 11:58 AM
texas jim
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd say that cop's wife neglected him that morning. Although "all my EXs live in Texas," I'm glad I'm here. I was pulled over once only for the DPS officer to tell me that I had a neat car.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:01 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
I would find this hard to prove in court. Googling " Rapid Pass" which I guess is the catchy name for the system. Its set up as a convenience so as You don't need to go to a testing facility. There is a sign telling you about the test ahead and you can pass threw the sensor and if you later get a letter telling you you passed then there is no need to have the car tested. If you fail or your from another state you don't get any letter. If they started failing Cars and not allowing them to renew there license's I could see a high vandalism problem might start with the un manned test equipment.
I agree I find very hard to believe that an analyzer along the road with cars passing is going to be able to single out a particular car, unmanned no less....
Old 09-28-2016, 03:07 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by anesthes
In NH we have the 20 year rule. The law is very hot-rod friendly, as it specifically states that the converter, smog equipment, etc can be removed once the vehicle is 20 years old.

The state realizes that the percentage of older cars is very small, and that most of these vehicles are collector cars. The contribution to smog is very low.

It's going to be nice in a few years when the early C5's become exempt. We're going to start seeing some crazy 1,000hp LSx street cars.

-- Joe
That is the way it should be everywhere...older cars don't contribute 1/10th of 1 % of the pollution in the air...totally ridiculous....BTW-most states don't test for emissions but I doubt the law says you can remove smog equipment...federal law prohibits removing ANY pollution control equipment...but who cares???!!

Quick Reply: 1980 pulled over for roadside inspection