C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 pulled over for roadside inspection

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 05:41 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,399 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

This is the world to come with the Global Warming supporters....but as I have said before,....what about the diesel trucks, both 18 wheelers and the redneck big truck types who just love flooring it with a big cloud of black. I would say their ""impact"" on emissions would be more serious, and there is sure as hell a lot more of them. Why is this acceptable to the EPA ****'s?
Old 09-28-2016, 05:51 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,116 Likes on 726 Posts

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you California, leading the world once again

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-0...cow-flatulence

By the way, humans in our state are seven times greater than our bovine friends. It is only a matter of time before they regulate bean consumption.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:15 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by anesthes
Sounds like a great place to live.

No handguns, no muscle cars. But hey you've got free crappy health care!

-- Joe
FYI Joe . I will take our emission rules any day and our health care over your social problems . No one here in Ontario is mowing down numerous innocent citizens with an assault rifle .
Just had to respond . Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by 63split63:
MotorHead (09-29-2016), shok (09-29-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 10:43 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 63split63
FYI Joe . I will take our emission rules any day and our health care over your social problems . No one here in Ontario is mowing down numerous innocent citizens with an assault rifle .
I like freedom.

-- Joe
The following users liked this post:
Torqued Off (09-29-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 11:00 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 574 Likes on 458 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by ctmccloskey
This past year my mechanic warned me about a new "mobile exhaust analyzer" that is set up on the roadside where it can analyze your emissions as you drive by.
If your cars emissions are out of wack or just too high you get a nasty letter from the State which then gives you a couple weeks to repair it or loose your license plates.
This does not only apply to cars from Virginia but any car on any Virginia highway. I have seen one unit on a on-ramp to the beltway around Washington D.C., this one was unattended as most are to not draw attention to the equipment.
They have multiple cameras and are set up on both sides of the road so they can get a good picture of your license. Big brother is getting serious and is using some high tech toys to help them.
good luck to virginia trying to take my Florida tags off my car when I visit fairfax county. Virginia can't ticket a car that's in compliance in its home state. Sounds like they are getting more like maryland all the time, glad to be out of there.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:10 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 574 Likes on 458 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by 63split63
you aparently don't understand our bill of rights and particularly our second ammendment. The people "mowed down" by semi automatic riffles are almost invariably in "gun free zones" . Canada has had mass shootings too but what's your population and what is ours. I will keep my right to defend myself my family and neighbors thank you very much.with the wave of refugees coming to Canada good luck
The following users liked this post:
Torqued Off (09-29-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 11:14 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
This is the world to come with the Global Warming supporters....but as I have said before,....what about the diesel trucks, both 18 wheelers and the redneck big truck types who just love flooring it with a big cloud of black. I would say their ""impact"" on emissions would be more serious, and there is sure as hell a lot more of them. Why is this acceptable to the EPA ****'s?
Uhh Well starting in 2007 or so Diesel Trucks got caught up with Emissions and I will say they are worse than we got it. They now depend on having Go Go juice that takes the black smoke out. Big Carbon catchers that make our Catalytic converters look small. If anything has an issue then the ECM will only let it drive another 150 miles and after that 5 MPH. This just happened to a buddy of mine. Fuel Mileage is way down, and cost up. Diesel Truck sales are way down because of this. Semi Trucks are just as bad off. The value of pre 2007 Trucks has gone up.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:31 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
good luck to virginia trying to take my Florida tags off my car when I visit fairfax county. Virginia can't ticket a car that's in compliance in its home state. Sounds like they are getting more like maryland all the time, glad to be out of there.
They can't enforce another states laws either, so even if the vehicle was not in compliance with it's own home state's emissions laws, it couldn't be cited in another state.

I'm a LEO.

-- Joe
Old 09-29-2016, 06:55 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,399 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Still

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
Uhh Well starting in 2007 or so Diesel Trucks got caught up with Emissions and I will say they are worse than we got it. They now depend on having Go Go juice that takes the black smoke out. Big Carbon catchers that make our Catalytic converters look small. If anything has an issue then the ECM will only let it drive another 150 miles and after that 5 MPH. This just happened to a buddy of mine. Fuel Mileage is way down, and cost up. Diesel Truck sales are way down because of this. Semi Trucks are just as bad off. The value of pre 2007 Trucks has gone up.
To be honest, I was not aware of that.....but, where I live, I see F250's and Chevy big trucks that spew large amounts of black smoke every time they hit the gas. If the EPA **** cops were out looking for violations, it would be much easier to see than the guy with a classic car who removed EPA crap.. And, there are a lot more of the trucks out there than classic cars.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:57 PM
kcochran
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by white1980vette
hello i live here in toronto with a 1980 corvette i need more infor on this thank u

So the smog pump and pulley you can get from willcox, rock auto, ebay etc and is easy to find. The diverter valve is a hell of a lot harder, in fact I haven't been able to find any information anywhere really. Fairly straightforward setup in that there is a larger (3/4"?) tube that you need to run to the exhaust in some way. Factory exhaust manifolds have a port on each cylinder, but you can add in a port anywhere just above the cat. It is actuated by a small vacuum line from the carb, from my understanding a sudden loss of vacuum will kill the pump (carb runs rich at WOT, and adding air to the exhaust makes a muffler bomb). I think it also does like a pressure releif at a couple PSI. Again no idea where you get these parts.

EGR is also fairly simple. There is an EGR port on your carb, run that to a temp switch (water neck or a seperate tapped hole in the manifold) and from there to the EGR valve. Need another port on the exhaust to pull air up into the manifold.

Charcoal cannister is a bit tricky to figure out the hoses for. There are diagrams of how the vacuum accessories work, diagrams of the emissions lines, but few that put it all together, especially when running the wrong carb / aftermarket parts. Best bet is to try to figure out how all the parts work instead of relying on a schematic.

Part that has me a little stumped, so the TH350 has two vacuum actuations which seems wasteful. The first is the vaccuum kickdown which is to manifold, the second is the vacuum lockup switch, which goes to ported? I can't seem to get a straight answer on that one. Currently its patched in to one of the cannisters lines and goes up to a manifold port on the carb but I think that's wrong.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:29 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

The guy who pulled me over said that the system doesn't have to work, just be there.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:32 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by gdh
The guy who pulled me over said that the system doesn't have to work, just be there.
That's ridiculous...
Old 10-12-2016, 01:00 AM
shok
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It is, but sadly I believe it.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:05 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I mean, in some ways it might make life easier. But over here if you get pulled over for emissions stuff then you'd have to go and pass an emissions test. Likelihood of that happening in a classic is very very low if you don't do something to draw a lot of negative attention to yourself... But they couldn't care less whether the original parts are fitted, only whether you pass the emissions test.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:45 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Here it is a visual inspection only. I have a feeling that when I got ticked that he pulled the vacuum hoses off the charcoal canister saying that I didn't have one (I do) and realized that I knew that he screwed up that he started being nice. That is when he started telling me that he loved classic cars and that the whole emmissions system just has to be present and not necessarily working.

In Ontario, they did away with the tail pipe sniffer on our emmissions test and now just plug into the OBDII plug and scan the vehicles computer to measure everything.

Last edited by gdh; 10-12-2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:37 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
I own a 2012 Ford F250 with the 6.7L Diesel and I have to say...there's several things in this statement that need to be clarified.

Yes, my truck uses DEF ("GoGo Juice"). The purpose of the DEF is to reduce NOx emissions, a weakness of diesel engines with respect to emissions discharge. The DEF has nothing to do with the 'black smoke'.

The particulate catchers do remove the 'black smoke' They go through a "burn off" period every couple hundred of miles that uses fuel and engine timing to greatly increase the exhaust temperature and empty the box of accumulated particulates. During the "burn off", I notice a decrease in fuel efficiency for the 10 or 15 minutes it takes to clean the exhaust filter.

As far as the computer curtailing speed, that is only for low DEF I believe. It is pretty difficult to run out of DEF...there are several warnings along the way letting you know you are running low. And they intentionally make the tank 5 gallons so you can simply add a $10 2.5 gallon bottle any time the tank gets under 1/2 full. I generally get a box of DEF when I change the oil...every 5,000 miles. Not a big deal.

As far as mileage, I get over 20 MPG with my truck on the interstate. I get 17 MPG around town. I get ABOUT THE SAME MILEAGE when I'm towing a loaded-to-capacity 10,000# trailer on the interstate, believe it or not. I get over 16 MPG when towing my 7,500# 30' long travel trailer. All those numbers are significantly better than my brother's 2005 F350 6.0L Diesel. They are also much better than ANY gasoline truck of even the 1/2 ton variety.

As far as cost, my brother just got done with a $10,500 "bulletproofing" job on his 6.0L Ford. My 6.7L engine does not have NEARLY the same number/type of weaknesses as that engine. Only time will tell, but I believe the newer engines are 'better' (more durable) than the older engines across the board, for all manufacturers.

Lastly, the most powerful "pre-2007" 6.0L Ford engine was 325 hp and 570 ft-lbs of torque. My 2012 has 400 hp and 800 ft-lbs of torque. The new Fords have 440 hp and a staggering 925 ft-lbs of torque. That last number, by the way, is exceedingly close to your normal run-of-the-mill Freightliner big rig.

The same people who are purchasing pre-2007 trucks are probably the same folks that ran out and bought their local hardware store out of incandescent light bulbs. I'm not a huge fan of regulation, but I don't see any part of the diesel equation that has made the newer trucks "worse" and the older trucks "better".

Just had to clarify the point.

Last edited by keithinspace; 10-12-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:52 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by keithinspace
I own a 2012 Ford F250 with the 6.7L Diesel and I have to say...there's several things in this statement that need to be clarified.

Yes, my truck uses DEF ("GoGo Juice"). The purpose of the DEF is to reduce NOx emissions, a weakness of diesel engines with respect to emissions discharge. The DEF has nothing to do with the 'black smoke'.

The particulate catchers do remove the 'black smoke' They go through a "burn off" period every couple hundred of miles that uses fuel and engine timing to greatly increase the exhaust temperature and empty the box of accumulated particulates. During the "burn off", I notice a decrease in fuel efficiency for the 10 or 15 minutes it takes to clean the exhaust filter.

As far as the computer curtailing speed, that is only for low DEF I believe. It is pretty difficult to run out of DEF...there are several warnings along the way letting you know you are running low. And they intentionally make the tank 5 gallons so you can simply add a $10 2.5 gallon bottle any time the tank gets under 1/2 full. I generally get a box of DEF when I change the oil...every 5,000 miles. Not a big deal.

As far as mileage, I get over 20 MPG with my truck on the interstate. I get 17 MPG around town. I get ABOUT THE SAME MILEAGE when I'm towing a loaded-to-capacity 10,000# trailer on the interstate, believe it or not. I get over 16 MPG when towing my 7,500# 30' long travel trailer. All those numbers are significantly better than my brother's 2005 F350 6.0L Diesel. They are also much better than ANY gasoline truck of even the 1/2 ton variety.

As far as cost, my brother just got done with a $10,500 "bulletproofing" job on his 6.0L Ford. My 6.7L engine does not have NEARLY the same number/type of weaknesses as that engine. Only time will tell, but I believe the newer engines are 'better' (more durable) than the older engines across the board, for all manufacturers.

Lastly, the most powerful "pre-2007" 6.0L Ford engine was 325 hp and 570 ft-lbs of torque. My 2012 has 400 hp and 800 ft-lbs of torque. The new Fords have 440 hp and a staggering 925 ft-lbs of torque. That last number, by the way, is exceedingly close to your normal run-of-the-mill Freightliner big rig.

The same people who are purchasing pre-2007 trucks are probably the same folks that ran out and bought their local hardware store out of incandescent light bulbs. I'm not a huge fan of regulation, but I don't see any part of the diesel equation that has made the newer trucks "worse" and the older trucks "better".

Just had to clarify the point.
That's because you only have one, so your experience is limited.

When you have a fleet of vehicles that you use commercially, and not only has your purchase costs gone up but your repair expenses, you might feel differently.

The 6.0s were epic turds though. I had more problems with those trucks than anything else.

The Duramax trucks have been pretty good from 2003 or so onward. The newer ones are somewhat cost prohibitive, mainly due to emissions compliance.

Emissions compliance have had a huge economic impact on the automotive industry as a whole. The R&D costs to maintain compliance is absurd. We all pay for that, just to make the regulators feel good.

-- Joe
Old 10-12-2016, 10:54 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by gdh
Yup just there and look like it's working, the have no way to determine if it actually working. I'ts a pile of sh*t, maybe .1% of the cars here would merit to be pulled over for inspection
Old 10-12-2016, 11:05 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by anesthes
That's because you only have one, so your experience is limited.
Yes, my experience is absurdly limited. Absolutely. My Dad has had 3 Dodge diesels, my brother one and one F350. This is the first pickup and the first diesel I've personally owned. I'm 42.

I can't say that there was a particular problem with the Cummins engine but for it being particularly loud. I could hear him coming a half mile away.

From a fleet perspective, I can understand there being an incremental increase in the cost of comprehensive maintenance. But from the same perspective, you don't run out and find every pre-2007 truck you can to add to your fleet...you'd get eaten alive on maintenance.

What is absolutely undeniable is the immense amount of power they're pulling out of these engines despite the emissions. Perhaps "better" is in the eye of the beholder, but it's the same as saying pre-catalytic converter cars are "better" and "don't have nearly as high of emissions related costs" as post-catalytic converter cars. True or not, the ship has sailed, and is now over 40 years in the sunset. Just as it now has with diesels.

BTW, my truck...RIGHT NOW...TODAY...is at the dealership having a new EGR Cooler installed because the original one clogged all to hell and gave me the dreaded "P0401" code. Has to do with a warping of the door leading to the EGR cooler. letting cool exhaust into the cooler core. My truck has 37,150 miles on it. So...yes, I absolutely concede that emissions crap leads to stupid, retarded, unnecessary expenses.

But I don't love my truck any less. And I don't "wish" for a pre-2007 truck. Just like I don't wish to own a bunch of pre-1975 vehicles just to stay away from having cats on my cars. Just have to roll with the punches.

Last edited by keithinspace; 10-12-2016 at 11:12 AM.

Quick Reply: 1980 pulled over for roadside inspection