C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me out before I start her up for the first time!

Old 10-19-2016, 03:38 PM
Osteoclast
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question, I was just speaking to a buddy of mine and we were talking about the timing of the car. I used a piston stop in order to find top dead center on the car. My buddy was saying that he finds top dead center by looking at the exhaust valve on cylinder one. He says that right before the exhaust valve begins to open is where he was told to set TDC(which seems really screwed up to me). In your opinion which is a more accurate way of finding the ideal top dead center? The only reason I ask is there seems to be a discrepancy on where I set top dead center in relation to the piston stop TDC and when my exhaust valve begins to open. My limited knowledge base tells me that this is actually how it should be but this guy has me second guessing myself.

Last edited by Osteoclast; 10-19-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:46 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,891 Likes on 2,563 Posts

Originally Posted by Osteoclast
Quick question, I was just speaking to a buddy of mine and we were talking about the timing of the car. I used a piston stop in order to find top dead center on the car. My buddy was saying that he finds top dead center by looking at the exhaust valve on cylinder one. He says that right before the exhaust valve begins to open is where he sets TDC. In your opinion which is a more accurate way of finding the ideal top dead center? The only reason I ask is there seems to be a discrepancy on where I set top dead center in relation to the piston stop and when my exhaust valve begins to open. Just going back over things one final time with the valve covers off before I start it up again
That is how you would do a 30/30 Duntov solid and some long oval track grinds but all other solids should be with the respecting valve on the base circle...Pro Stock bumps it to the base circle....the 30/30 had some weird @.020 lift stuff going on.....if hydraulic do it at TDC of each cylinder....works everytime.

Jebby

Last edited by Jebbysan; 10-19-2016 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:41 PM
Osteoclast
Heel & Toe

Well the break in is done! I fired it up again today after I added some coolant that blew out of my radiator hose during the last break in attempt. Everything sounds like it's working well. I didn't take it out for a spin or anything as I have some break work to do on the car but it seems to run well. A few questions...

1.)After the break in I did let the car idle for a minute or so and it did seem to idle a little rough. I used my timing light on the harmonic balancer and my timing mark seems to almost "bounce" between my 0* TDC mark and 2* before or 2* after TDC as well. From what I've seen it should be firing exactly at 0* every time. Sound like I need to adjust timing?

2.) Still had pretty high pressure in the coolant system during the break in it seems. No leaks from hoses but I did have the radiator cap off. I've read about coolant bubbling out of the top during break in but by the end of my break in I had coolant pouring/erupting out of the radiator. I had a buddy using a hose on the radiator itself to keep it cool as it doesn't seem that my electric fan setup was working correctly (next project). Should I be worried about my coolant system pressure or does this sound normal? naturally I am worried that I somehow cracked the head or destroyed the head gasket even though they are both brand new. When I started the car the first time the upper radiator hose blew off, as did the lower. As I mentioned above, the lower had a heat shrink seal which has been replaced but the upper hose actually had a clamp on it when it came off. I have been attributing this to the heat generated during break in but now I'm concerned . The radiator is brand new, as is the radiator cap and thermostat. What should my next steps be in figuring out my problem here? Pressure testing?

3. This car is really loud! it idles nicely but when I give it any gas it is almost unbearable. I have hooker headers with straight pipes and flowmaster 40 mufflers. What would you guys recommend in terms of quieting it down? Resonators? Different mufflers?

Last edited by Osteoclast; 10-23-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:52 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Headers and flowmaster 40's are going to be pretty loud. I wouldn't go changing anything right away though, until you've got some miles behind you and can make an informed decision on whether you think it's too loud or not. On the radiator pouring out, I guess pouring out is a subjective thing. My 79 will kick plenty of coolant out of the top when the cap it off put I wouldn't consider it pouring out. If it's just running over, then I'd say yours is doing just like mine. I'd put the cap on and watch the temps. Others are more knowledgeable about your timing issue than me, so ill defer to them on that issue.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:00 PM
Osteoclast
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
Headers and flowmaster 40's are going to be pretty loud. I wouldn't go changing anything right away though, until you've got some miles behind you and can make an informed decision on whether you think it's too loud or not. On the radiator pouring out, I guess pouring out is a subjective thing. My 79 will kick plenty of coolant out of the top when the cap it off put I wouldn't consider it pouring out. If it's just running over, then I'd say yours is doing just like mine. I'd put the cap on and watch the temps. Others are more knowledgeable about your timing issue than me, so ill defer to them on that issue.
I had a pretty good constant fountain/jet of coolant coming out of the radiator until I shut it off, it wasn't just running over. Enough coolant came out in a 5-10 second span that it left my entire garage floor wet and it even ran down the driveway to the street. I'll put the cap back on and run it soon to check out the temps. Hoses held good this time. Something just doesnt seem right to me bit I've never done this before so i dont know hahaha

Last edited by Osteoclast; 10-23-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:07 PM
Osteoclast
Heel & Toe

I had a pretty good constant fountain/jet of coolant coming out of the radiator until I shut it off, it wasn't just running over. Enough coolant came out in a 5-10 second span that it left my entire garage floor wet and it even ran down the driveway to the street. I'll put the cap back on and run it soon to check out the temps. Hoses held good this time. Something just doesnt seem right to me bit I've never done this before so i dont know hahaha

So I got curious and drained some coolant from the radiator as when it was flowing out of it either, I swore it looked odd. Well, the cup on the left is what drained out if my radiator. The cup on the right is brand new coolant from the same container that went into my radiator. Any reason it looks like this?
Old 10-24-2016, 01:29 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Well yes there is a reason , the new coolant went in and disturbed all the old residual crap, rust from the iron block and heads, even the oxidised alloy from the inlet manifold, plus whatever was in the radiator is now mixed together.

Its not unusual to have that happen, its certainly not a disaster. You can simply drain out the now used coolant from the block and radiator and refill with new stuff when your ready. It can be an expensive excercise though, some people use just plain water to start with and drop it a couple of times as necessary.
As for it pouring out when hot, yes it does. You might have a problem with an airpocket in the system as well.

☆If you have kids around your work area dont leave those glasses with that poison in them like that☆

Last edited by bazza77; 10-24-2016 at 01:33 AM. Reason: coolant looks like cordial to kids
Old 10-24-2016, 01:51 AM
Osteoclast
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by bazza77
Well yes there is a reason , the new coolant went in and disturbed all the old residual crap, rust from the iron block and heads, even the oxidised alloy from the inlet manifold, plus whatever was in the radiator is now mixed together.

Its not unusual to have that happen, its certainly not a disaster. You can simply drain out the now used coolant from the block and radiator and refill with new stuff when your ready. It can be an expensive excercise though, some people use just plain water to start with and drop it a couple of times as necessary.
As for it pouring out when hot, yes it does. You might have a problem with an airpocket in the system as well.

☆If you have kids around your work area dont leave those glasses with that poison in them like that☆
oh yeah i didnt leave any of it around! Just came inside to take the picture in the light. That makes sense with the rust. Figured out what my pressure problem is. Accidently dropped the old thermostat back in which was completely stiff and nonfunctional. Popped it out and put the new one in this evening. Derp :/
Old 10-24-2016, 02:11 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Accidently dropped the old thermostat back in which was completely stiff and nonfunctional. Popped it out and put the new one in this evening. Derp :/
yep that wouldn't help things ,with a new one you should be right now
Old 11-06-2016, 04:17 PM
Osteoclast
Heel & Toe

Hey guys. Told you all I would upload a short video of a start up. Its only about 9 seconds (too many mb's) but at least its something. Sorry for the poor video quality, thats what happens when an iphone camera meets ocean water :/ Also think I have an exhaust leak due to a bad header gasket. Need to fix that.
Attached Files

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me out before I start her up for the first time!