C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 01:14 PM
clwi
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Starting issue

My car is a reel pita to start after a week in the garage...
I have to give it some throttle and when it finally starts there is a lot of black smoke.... from one day to another there is no problem, it starts at the first turn??
Rebuilt Qjet and all new MSD ignition.
Cant figure this out, maybe you guys can...
Old 09-25-2016, 01:27 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

black smoke is usually carb related, blue smoke is oil related, have much experience rebuilding carbs??? this new fuel evaporates from carb bowls, not like the old fuel. if not fuel injected, will need to refill carb bowls, thus taking a small amount of time, change to electric fuel pump to elimate this, as far as black smoke, too rich of fuel mixture, tried the mixture scres adjustment??/ need to know more of what was done to carb to pin point it down, your small request doesn't help us much! just noticed that you are in Sweden, same fuel over there that we have??? also, what is the adjustment on the choke, this puts extra fuel in the fuel/to/ air mixture.

Last edited by lvmyvt76; 09-25-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:48 PM
clwi
Racer

Carb is rebuilt by a pro, he has done this for 25 years..so that is not an issue.
Choke is oem, divorced one.
Same fuel here, using 95 oct.
Thing is, after a day or two it starts just fine, but after a week its a reel pita to start.
Carb bowl is filled otherwise it would not black smoke....i dont get this??
Old 09-26-2016, 11:33 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

I would look at the pump shot after it sits for a week. It reads like the acceleration pump dries up if not the fuel bowl loses level also. The black smoke is over rich and I have to guess at how that could happen. Tiny leak from maybe the fuel well plugs and puddles in the intake which is pretty much sealed up and may not evaporate for a long time. Or maybe the long crank along with pumping the throttle a bunch does some amount of flooding.

If it were mine the easiest and maybe the cheapest fix is just a good old shot of starting fluid after long periods of unuse. Sometimes you can just spray it into the A/C snorkel but often you will have to remove the lid. Cheap to just try it to.

Let us know what you find, it be us all.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:59 PM
clwi
Racer

Think i got it..
When i park it in the garage i open the hood and let the heat out, seems to do the trick.
Probably the aceleration pump that goes dry...anyway it works!

Get notified of new replies

To Starting issue

Quick Reply: Starting issue