C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Oil Pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 12:33 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

As stated above yes it does put undo stress on the driveshaft and cam/distributor gear......
I have seen 7 horsepower difference on the dyno between standard and HV pumps.......that is a huge number for the size of that shaft and gear.......
I never run HV pumps in anything that has a stock block...Why?
Because the block design from 1955 is one of the best factory oiling systems ever designed and is good for sustained 7000rpm running.....an HV can pump a lot of oil upstairs if the lifter galley is not restricted.....and although it is a terrific system....above 7k RPM you need a priority main oiling block anyway.....which below that an HV will push more than what is needed as well. The lifter galley holes need to be opened up on a stock block to make a HV worth while on a priority cam oiling GM block......
Will it hurt anything to have a HV pump.....in a word no...unless you are running the Silver State Challenge.......
Same thing with high oil pressure.....
What I shoot for is 60-70 max.....20-30 at idle. But what is MOST important is how the gauge needle sweeps.
If it rises and falls freely with the tach....you got a nice setup.....if it climbs quick but slow to fall......bearings are too tight......or you are pushing too much volume.
My 406 with the factory gauge buried the needle.......after a conversation with Centuryoldracer (member) he told me it is not uncommon for it to be way high.......I teed mine off and mounted a gauge on the firewall......(I love underhood gauges anyway).....
It was 20 psi lower than indicated......
OP......check it with a gauge under the hood

Jebby

Last edited by Jebbysan; 09-30-2016 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:56 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

I run manual gauges for water temp, oil temp, oil pressure and fuel pressure at the source, and under the hood. Especially when I want the interior all stock. Nothing beats a good manual gauge. As stated above stock electric gauges can be off and I only depend on them as an early warning system.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:03 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Comp Cams put the sausage to me on a custom billet solid roller cam before race season and they delivered a non dizzy gear sleeved billet cam. time was running out with the late delivery and their fix was the Comp Cams Poly composite dizzy gear. Melling HV pump & block oil passage work. Oil pressure about 75 psi at anything over about 5000 rpm. My shifting on the road course was always near the 7500 rpm rev limiter and I had just shifted into 5th with my 4.11 rear end at WOT around 150 mph on the main straight and the motor went silent. I threw it in nuetral and was trying to figure out what was going on and why it would not restart. I had to brake heavy and coast off a safety road.

This is what I found when i pulled the dizzy when we saw it not rotating. Now for that motor I carry two of these and rev limit it to 7000 rpm with less oil pressure. thank you CC for your cam and fix

Old 09-30-2016, 02:29 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Back in the day my cam choices were 1. Racer brown,Jim used to make some really good stuff.2.Crower, I dealt with Bruce Crower personally,the term genius is thrown around lightly these days but if Bruce isn't he is close 3. Lunati another good company. I had bad experiences with comp cams and just will never use anything they make.they treated their problem very poorly and 25 years later they haven't made another dime on me.
Not that I carry a grudge.

Quick Reply: High Oil Pressure?