C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quadrajet Throttle Spring

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 11:17 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 929 Likes on 531 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Quadrajet Throttle Spring

It seems to me that it takes an exceptionally strong spring to get the primary throttle plates to close. If I use an ordinary spring, then I get a fast idle sometimes. Anybody else have trouble like this, or do I have something adjusted wrong?
Old 09-29-2016, 12:05 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

If your front throttle blades bind, it could cause this. Binding can either be maladjusted plates or worn/bent throttle shafts.

A basic test I do is check to see if the throttle blades will shut completely with the throttle springs disconnected, cable disconnected and engine off. The accelerator pump return spring should be able to return the primary throttle blade to closed. If not, you've got a bind somewhere.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:06 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Additionally, I used twin springs on my Q-Jet, as per OEM:

Old 09-29-2016, 01:01 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You have binding somewhere. It could be in the carb, in the linkage, in the throttle cable, in the accelerator pedal or in any combination of them. Test the resistance of each without the others (if possible). Remove cable from carb and check linkage/mechanical resistance to full range of throttle movement. Then check resistance of cable movement, now that it is not connected to the carb. Get in the car and move accel pedal by hand.

Hope you find the problem.

P.S. It could be that the carb is not lined up 'true' with the gasket and intake manifold. This can be a source of binding (between throttle plates and gasket and/or intake inlet bores).

Get notified of new replies

To Quadrajet Throttle Spring

Quick Reply: Quadrajet Throttle Spring