C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Sump?

Old 09-29-2016, 12:09 PM
jsera
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Cheap Sump?

As a means for installing a cheap and easy sump, could I install something like this under my tank (gravity feeding from the stock tank) with a return line to the top of the tank (to bleed air from the auxillary tank taken in on cornering with low fuel in main tank) and use an inline pump and regulator from this auxillary tank to an efi setup?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A7DBQK6H5RX6EF

Also how have people gone about installing a nipple on the bottom of the tank without having to weld one in? Brass home depot fittings?
Old 09-29-2016, 01:21 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

I dont like adding extra storage, pumps, filters etc under the tank, as I have rear exhaust and dont like proximity to exhaust heat and damage.

I do have a Holley Red pump in the center away from the muffs. Filter is at the carb, and of course the pickup sock.

Lots of knowledge on the Forum from racers on how to avoid fuel starvation
Old 09-29-2016, 05:01 PM
jsera
Instructor

the mounting location wouldn't necessarily be directly under the tank, but conceptually, would this work?
Old 09-29-2016, 11:38 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

that small tank more than likely has a vented cap so you would need to solve that one first I think it may work as you describe. To gravity flow to a tank that you are pulling out of with a pump you may need a fairly large supply line to the second tank.

I installed a sump that the diesel guys are using, bolts to the tank without welding. I also purchased a couple fuel tank fittings that secure with Teflon washers and a nut. The fittings have rounded inlets for better fuel flow. I ended up installing the sump and didn't use the fuel tank fittings so I don't have first hand knowledge on the install.

Neal
Old 09-30-2016, 05:24 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by jsera
Also how have people gone about installing a nipple on the bottom of the tank without having to weld one in? Brass home depot fittings?
The fuel bungs simply screw together with a nut and teflon washers.

I sealed mine in with an aircraft fuel tank sealant that I found on the internet.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:43 PM
jsera
Instructor

So long as we're talking about using a sump here, is it necessary to run a line from the center of the tank or would it be okay to take it off one of the sides? Id like to try and manage to retain my spare
Old 10-03-2016, 12:51 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Your link doesn't work.

Yes, the concept will work, but as noted you'll need a large line to gravity feed the tank. No reason you couldn't take the fittings off one side, or both sides for that matter, instead of the middle. Going from one side would reduce the effectiveness or possibly cause starvation in long sweeping corners turning to that side. The effectiveness and how long you can run without taking more fuel from the main tank really depends on your surge tank size.

Have you thought about using the mechanical pump to feed the surge tank?
Old 10-03-2016, 01:04 PM
jsera
Instructor

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Your link doesn't work.

Yes, the concept will work, but as noted you'll need a large line to gravity feed the tank. No reason you couldn't take the fittings off one side, or both sides for that matter, instead of the middle. Going from one side would reduce the effectiveness or possibly cause starvation in long sweeping corners turning to that side. The effectiveness and how long you can run without taking more fuel from the main tank really depends on your surge tank size.

Have you thought about using the mechanical pump to feed the surge tank?
The idea had not crossed my mind really, then I wouldn't have to drop the tank or make any holes in it!

Also here is the link again: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...iglink20400-20
Old 10-03-2016, 01:06 PM
jsera
Instructor

Is there anything to gain (wasted power) by eliminating the mechanical pump or is it negligible?
Old 10-03-2016, 01:14 PM
jsera
Instructor

Also somewhat off topic but could I run a switch to the electric pump as a fuel cutoff rather than using a valve (for theft protection purposes)
Old 10-03-2016, 01:48 PM
jsera
Instructor

Also if you did feed the sump by the mechanical pump would you use two(or even 3)returns to the main tank (one from mech pump, one from sump and possibly another yet from the electric pump?)
Old 10-03-2016, 02:35 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Whatever you're doing to make the link doesn't work. Are you logged on when you copy it?

You use the return line from the mechanical pump. I believe you could just T into it or you could plug the outlet at the pump and re-route the line to the to of the surge tank. The return from the EFI system goes to the surge tank otherwise the electric pump would empty the surge tank.

Yes, if you kill power to the pump the engine won't run.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:53 PM
jsera
Instructor

Whatever you're doing to make the link doesn't work. Are you logged on when you copy it?

You use the return line from the mechanical pump. I believe you could just T into it or you could plug the outlet at the pump and re-route the line to the to of the surge tank. The return from the EFI system goes to the surge tank otherwise the electric pump would empty the surge tank.

Yes, if you kill power to the pump the engine won't run.
Like this (where fuel return from engine is from the electric pump?
Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2016, 11:16 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Yes, basically like that.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:11 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 852 Likes on 623 Posts

Have this for sale if anyone is interested. Works great!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-w-sender.html
Old 10-04-2016, 10:21 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

I little research tells me you have a 78.
You realize the 78 fuel tank is actually a plastic tank within the steel enclosure(not a rubber bladder but a hard plastic tank).
To be adding any kind of sump or fittings you may need to get a replacement tank that doesn't have the inner tank.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:18 AM
jsera
Instructor

Resurrecting this one to show this:
https://www.amazon.com/Fuel-Surge-Ta...uel+surge+tank

My current plan for when I get to this is to use a tank like this for a swirl pot and possibly mount it in the jack compartment

Last edited by jsera; 12-06-2016 at 08:20 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Cheap Sump?

Old 12-06-2016, 12:51 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Your links now work for me. That tank would work way better then the first one you linked.

How about this tank or one similar to it? There are a few variations around.

https://www.amazon.com/EPMAN-perform...uel+surge+tank

You put a Bosch 044 type pump right into the hole.

Put a decent barrier between the fuel system and you and your passenger if you put it into the jack compartment. You don't want an incident or accident catching the car on fire right behind you or spraying fuel over you.

If you have a 78, then you could just put the 82 sender into the tank with a high pressure pump.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 12-06-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:44 PM
jsera
Instructor

Your links now work for me. That tank would work way better then the first one you linked.

How about this tank or one similar to it? There are a few variations around.

https://www.amazon.com/EPMAN-perform...uel+surge+tank

You put a Bosch 044 type pump right into the hole.

Put a decent barrier between the fuel system and you and your passenger if you put it into the jack compartment. You don't want an incident or accident catching the car on fire right behind you or spraying fuel over you.

If you have a 78, then you could just put the 82 sender into the tank with a high pressure pump.
If I used an 82 sender I still wouldn't have a sump to avoid cavitation of the pump and stalling of the engine though...or am I missing something?

also as far as safety/mounting the tank in the jack compartment, if I use an inline pump down stream, the sump would never see high pressure fuel which should eliminate most the danger no? (trucks up to the 70s had cab mounted tanks behind the bench)...unless there were a leak where the battery ignited some fumes seems unlikely
Old 12-06-2016, 10:00 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,730 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by jsera

also as far as safety/mounting the tank in the jack compartment, if I use an inline pump down stream, the sump would never see high pressure fuel which should eliminate most the danger no? (trucks up to the 70s had cab mounted tanks behind the bench)...unless there were a leak where the battery ignited some fumes seems unlikely
Doesn't really take ANY pressure for gas fumes to be present....and it just so happens you have some rubber lines that ethanol in the gas can permeate....especially on a nice hot day...

AND in the same small compartment that's really not vented- is a battery? Imagine if the terminal is loose when you try to start the car...

Just don't park it at a Tony Roma's...

I really don't think it is a good idea at all....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cheap Sump?