C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no power?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 07:10 PM
olelucky
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default no power?

i completed engine /trans rebuild and install. did a short test drive, came back made some adjustments. the did another short test drive. after returning i shut it off. now no power. with the key off i have power to the alternator and starter, but when i turn key to run, i lose power to those also. i have power to the left side of the fuse box. none on the right side. no gauges, no lights, no radio
i checked the fusible link near the starter. it had power to both sides(with the key off) what am i missing?
72 350
thanks
Old 09-29-2016, 07:18 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Does the starter crank the engine?
Old 09-29-2016, 07:38 PM
olelucky
Instructor

No, the starter doesn't even try, no headlights. I did replace starter thinking it may be shorted out. I'm confused on the power going away on the alternator when key is turned to run.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:10 PM
76Rat
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Start with the basics. Check battery terminals and terminal ends to make sure you have good connections (Positive and ground). Sounds like you might have a bad connection somewhere. Its very common with cheap battery terminals

Last edited by 76Rat; 09-29-2016 at 08:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-30-2016, 06:59 AM
olelucky
Instructor

thanks 76Rat and BlackC3vette, I kept checking all the connections and eventually found that the last 5 inches of the battery ground cable where it connects to the frame had corroded within the housing. I replaced the ground cable and everything works great.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:49 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by olelucky@aol.com
thanks 76Rat and BlackC3vette, I kept checking all the connections and eventually found that the last 5 inches of the battery ground cable where it connects to the frame had corroded within the housing. I replaced the ground cable and everything works great.
It's great to see you found the problem. I was going to suggest a voltage drop test on the cables, but you found what I suspected. Good diagnostic work!

Get notified of new replies

To no power?

Quick Reply: no power?