C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Distributor

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 04:10 PM
clatgeo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Distributor

I need to move the vacuum advance from hitting the metal support for the distributor cover.

I have pulled the distributor and tried to move the rotor over one tooth, but it will not seat even aligning the oil pump slot with a long screwdriver.

Does anyone have a good ideas?
Old 09-30-2016, 04:29 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by clatgeo
I need to move the vacuum advance from hitting the metal support for the distributor cover.

I have pulled the distributor and tried to move the rotor over one tooth, but it will not seat even aligning the oil pump slot with a long screwdriver.

Does anyone have a good ideas?
You have to turn it further than you think to line it up as the gear is helical and twists the shaft when installing......
If it went in in one position it has to go in when aligned in any other position.....as long as the oil shaft is clocked proper.....

Jebby
Old 09-30-2016, 04:30 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Unless you could not simply rotate the distributor to its new location (and re-clock the plug wires to new sequence), you should not have removed it from the engine. You might have just rotated it 1 or 2 plug locations (22.5 deg. or 45 deg.), then rotated all the plug wires, correspondingly.

Now, you will need to re-install the distributor while ATTEMPTING to keep the firing point correctly aligned with the movement of the points. But first, you will need to stick a long flat-bladed screwdriver down into the distributor 'well' to find the slot in the oil pump drive shaft so that you can turn it to match the cross-pin in the bottom of the dist. shaft [which drives the oil pump]. And, this alignment needs to occur correctly AFTER the helical dist drive gear gets fully seated.

You've made the change you intended a lot more difficult. But, no more difficult that for anyone else when the distributor is removed from the engine. Once you get the plug wires 'clocked' where you need them and the rotation of the distributor aligned with the points firing position, snug the distributor down and use a timing light to fine-tune your set up.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 09-30-2016 at 04:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Distributor

Quick Reply: Distributor