C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front suspension and steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 06:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The aftermarket ones are not exactly the same as the origianls. I have NOT heard that anyone is selling the EXACT steering coupling ( rag-joint).

YES...you can re-kit yours...but I have not bought the kit from ECKLERS...I get mine from DORMAN and I get it from an auto parts store. The problem with the Dorman kit. Is if you want to be super picky like me. The two studs that you remove to service the rubber round disc. One of those studs are correct ...and are like what yous came with. I knwo it is made to be bolted in place while yours were riveted. The other stud they offer is quite smaller. It will work...but I am a visual kind guy and want it to at least look as close to factory correct as possible. So..I have to buy two kits when I buy them.

DUB
Old 10-06-2016, 11:02 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

A rebuild of your ragjoint (flex coupling between steering column and steering box) is likely as good as any aftermarket replacement.

However, in either case, you need to make sure that there is electrical conductivity between the input and output side of the ragjoint. Why? Because that is the ground path for the horn. The original ragjoint coupling disc had wire mesh built into it so that electricity would conduct through that joint. Many discs in the replacement kits DO NOT have any way of conducting electricity through them. So, you have to install a short strip of copper braid (ground strap material) from one side to the other in order to make your horn functional. Since the part flexes as you turn it, regular wire won't last long. But, you can buy a short ground-strap at most auto part stores. Or, if you do any electrical soldering, you can use a strip of Solder-Wick as that strap and put lugs on either end to connect it to the joint.

Just be aware that this is an issue with almost all of the replacement ragjoints and kits.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 10-06-2016 at 11:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MobileGreg (10-10-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 06:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
A rebuild of your ragjoint (flex coupling between steering column and steering box) is likely as good as any aftermarket replacement.

However, in either case, you need to make sure that there is electrical conductivity between the input and output side of the ragjoint. Why? Because that is the ground path for the horn. The original ragjoint coupling disc had wire mesh built into it so that electricity would conduct through that joint. Many discs in the replacement kits DO NOT have any way of conducting electricity through them. So, you have to install a short strip of copper braid (ground strap material) from one side to the other in order to make your horn functional. Since the part flexes as you turn it, regular wire won't last long. But, you can buy a short ground-strap at most auto part stores. Or, if you do any electrical soldering, you can use a strip of Solder-Wick as that strap and put lugs on either end to connect it to the joint.

Just be aware that this is an issue with almost all of the replacement ragjoints and kits.
EXCELLENT ADVICE!

I have seen the ground strap often times be snapped in half and repair it when I do them. I completely forgot about it. Glad you mentioned it.

DUB
Old 10-06-2016, 07:13 PM
Sluefoot
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

(per jb78L-82) "I would highly recommend rebuilding blueprinting your OEM box only...no rebuilds"
Showing my ignorance here, just WHAT is "blueprinting" your OEM box?
You say "rebuilding blueprinting....no rebuilds"...that's confusing.
I do all my own work I can, but I need clarification here, please!
Old 10-06-2016, 08:25 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by Sluefoot
Showing my ignorance here, just WHAT is "blueprinting" your OEM box?
You say "rebuilding blueprinting....no rebuilds"...that's confusing.
I do all my own work I can, but I need clarification here, please!
A rebuilt Steering box is just that either your OEM box rebuilt with new internals or an aftermarket box with the same. A blueprinted/rebuilt OEM box is your OEM box, rebuilt with new internals, hand adjusted by the rebuilder for proper feel, torque specs, and play and in the case of my box, additional internal components like an olite shaft bushing to further eliminate any internal play to the box...which is what was done to my box.

This thread back when I had my box done might help explain more..

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ueprinted.html
Old 10-07-2016, 02:04 AM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Just to add more fuel to the discussion......you could change your steering box to a Borgeson unit and get rid of the leaky control valve.
That is my route right now.
Found a great deal on Amazon for the box through a company called Mudflaps...
Check it out.

Good luck with whichever way you go.

Dennis
Old 10-07-2016, 04:06 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Borgeson

Originally Posted by MobileGreg
I checked on ecklers and I see they have a rebuild kit for the rag joint. Has anyone used this versus doing a full replacement? If so, does it come with all the parts and instructions to do the job and is that as good as a full replacement, obviously a lot less at about $15 instead of $65.
Greg, You should at least have a look at the Borgeson website, www.borgeson.com , or talk to Jeff Grantmeyer there, 1-860-482-8283 and check out their #800108 integral power steering box. This modern power box has both the ram and control valve in the steering box and has variable boost for both firm road feel at speed and effortless power when parking. The standard system has full boost at all times which some people find unpleasant when driving at speed. The Borgeson rag joint is a brand new unit and connects to the stock steering shaft and you have only two hoses from the pump to the box. No hoses dangling under the oil pan and much fewer places from where leaks may emanate.

I have one fitted to my '74 coupe and the difference to the old set-up is amazing. It actually steers like a modern car! I have sold several of these in Australia and all of my customers have thanked me for the vast improvement the Borgeson box made to their cars. Now, jb78L-82 raves about the good blueprinting work done by Gary R. and I do not disagree with him, but you still end up with a 70 year old power assisted steering design that in my opinion has no place on a modern sports car.

Choose wisely.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 10-07-2016, 05:18 PM
MobileGreg
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great info thanks. I definitely like the idea of the borgeson box, but I think for the money right now to get the car drivable, I'll look at doing a rebuilt if needed but will keep this in mind for an upgrade later. As for the ground through the ragjoint I never would have thought about that. Does anyone have a diagram or pictures of how you did the grounding strap through the joint.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:23 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

I've never replaced my rag joint. Once I refreshed front suspension and power steering system(VB&P), the steering was so tight, never looked back.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:24 PM
MobileGreg
Advanced

Well after checking parts a bit more today after installing a new alternator, I see my gearbox has excessive play, so I guess I will be adding that to the list. Is the box for factory power steering the same as for manual steering? I have seen some conflicting information when looking for parts. I know there is a control valve that the lines go to instead of the gear box like on newer cars.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:41 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Well after checking parts a bit more today after installing a new alternator, I see my gearbox has excessive play, so I guess I will be adding that to the list. Is the box for factory power steering the same as for manual steering? I have seen some conflicting information when looking for parts. I know there is a control valve that the lines go to instead of the gear box like on newer cars.
Not sure where you are located (hint: fill in your profile).
I have the steering box off my power assisted 75 that you can have CHEAP!
Let me know.
Dennis
The following users liked this post:
MobileGreg (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 07:59 PM
MobileGreg
Advanced

Originally Posted by bmans vette
Not sure where you are located (hint: fill in your profile).
I have the steering box off my power assisted 75 that you can have CHEAP!
Let me know.
Dennis
I'm located in Mobile, AL. I'm looking at the option of the borgeson box, but need to do a little more research. PM me what would be "cheap" so I can consider that as well.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:01 PM
MobileGreg
Advanced

So, for those that have done the Borgeson box, I see you have to replace the hoses, drag link and obviously the rag joint. My question that I have not found the answer to yet is, will the pitman arm from the factory power steering setup work or do I have to get pitman arm for manual steering since the drag link is technically for manual steering?
Old 10-10-2016, 08:36 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Pitman arm is the same (use yours). You need either a manual drag link or the adaptor for your drag link. It's an easy install and I really like mine. Faster ratio and better feel than the standard power assist, looks right in the car, and cost is competitive compared to a complete rebuild of the standard system. I did need to modify the clutch z bar slightly to clear (rebent it to pick up the other side of the clutch pedal pushrod), but most people don't seem to have that issue.

Last edited by Metalhead140; 10-10-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:41 PM
MobileGreg
Advanced

So if I'm understanding you correctly all I need is the gearbox, rag joint, hoses and adapter. I don't need to replace the drag link if I get the adapter correct? I can then remove the old hoses, control valve and piston right?
Old 10-10-2016, 08:46 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Pretty sure that's it, yep.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:47 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Or, you can replace and add lube to the existing box and see if some of the slack can be removed with the adjustment (in top plate).

If the internal components are worn such that you cannot remove slack at the center of travel without causing binding when steering is on right or on left, then the box needs to be rebuilt or replaced. And, IMO, rebuilding is better than replacement.

If you are willing to attempt re-lubing and adjustment, PM me and I will provide some guidance. Not a difficult process...but involved. Or, you can send your box to a good rebuilder and have it come back as good (or better) than new.

I've never driven a C3 with a Borgenson box, but I can't imagine that it would be that much better than a stock box in good condition....and you don't have to change a bunch of other stuff!

Get notified of new replies

To Front suspension and steering

Old 10-10-2016, 10:29 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
I've never driven a C3 with a Borgenson box, but I can't imagine that it would be that much better than a stock box in good condition....and you don't have to change a bunch of other stuff!
Nothing much to change to fit the Borgeson. Unbolt the box, remove lines, swap the pitman arm to the new box, collapse the column a little, bolt it all back in. I've no doubt the stock setup works well when set up perfectly, but the assist is much nicer feeling with the Borgeson (doesn't get as light at speed), and the ratio is faster so it feels more responsive. And avoids all the power assist stuff hanging under the car looking messy and with more potential leak locations.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:15 AM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm located in Mobile, AL. I'm looking at the option of the borgeson box, but need to do a little more research. PM me what would be "cheap" so I can consider that as well.
Will do!
Old 10-11-2016, 07:50 AM
MobileGreg
Advanced

The rebuild it myself sounds like a possible option. Can you give me some basic info on what is involved like any specialty tools etc. Also are there kits for this or do I have to buy individual parts as needed.

Quick Reply: Front suspension and steering