C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer replacement

Old 10-03-2016, 07:55 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

Default Harmonic Balancer replacement

The seal on my '72 350 timing chain cover has finally given out. Just 60k miles but it is 44 years old. The leaking oil makes quite a mess so I'm going to replace it. I'm planning on pulling the fan, water pump, and pulley on the front of the balancer. Any opinions on whether there will be enough room with that stuff removed to take off the balancer? I really don't want to remove the steel fan housing if I have to. If I can get to the balancer, I'm going to replace the seal and the balancer just in case there's a groove worn on it. That way everything will be new and not just covered up by a sleeve that can go later. What do you think? Thanks.
Duane
Old 10-03-2016, 08:33 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Yes there is enough room for the puller once the fan is out. Replacing or rebuilding the balancer your call.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:30 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by mikem350
Yes there is enough room for the puller once the fan is out. Replacing or rebuilding the balancer your call.
I've done this recently and it's tight, but there is room to do it.
I think replacing the balancer is a good call. Getting one that has lots of timing markings is even better....
Old 10-03-2016, 09:51 PM
CDN3g
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also recommend replacing the stock OEM timing chain assembly as the nylon teeth on the cam sprocket will be worn and brittle and likely to shear off sooner or later. A new all metal set is very inexpensive and cheap insurance. I did this job on my 1982 and also took the opportunity to also drop the oil pan to refinish it and install a one piece Fel Pro gasket set to solve the oil leak issues.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:16 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Ditto cdn3g. While you are this far, do the timing set.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:46 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

also agree. do the timing chain while it's out. replace balancer. replace water pump. normally I wouldn't go that far, but these are getting old and regardless of mileage, the age takes a toll on them. do it once and be done.

and use a good harmonic balancer install tool, don't just beat it one and use an impact on the bolt. drilling out snapped crank snouts is no fun, just read a few posts on here about that!
Old 10-04-2016, 07:55 AM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by gungatim
also agree. do the timing chain while it's out. replace balancer. replace water pump. normally I wouldn't go that far, but these are getting old and regardless of mileage, the age takes a toll on them. do it once and be done.

and use a good harmonic balancer install tool, don't just beat it one and use an impact on the bolt. drilling out snapped crank snouts is no fun, just read a few posts on here about that!
I cringe when I hear someone say... " JUST DRIVE IT ON WITH A BIG HONKING HAMMER "... at 44 years of age on all those parts, I would replace everything you are removing... cheap insurance and a tow truck ride will cost more than those parts
Old 10-04-2016, 12:06 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by fishslayer143
" JUST DRIVE IT ON WITH A BIG HONKING HAMMER "
Dont use a HONKING hammer, I prefer a BF Hammer and a 2x4
Old 10-04-2016, 08:09 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the comments and advice. I'm going to replace the water pump, balancer, and seal. Then in the spring, if I'm still around, I'll do the timing chain and oil pan one piece gasket. If I go further than that, I'd replace the cam, but then I'd want to do a valve job and probably update the heads,..... blah,blah,blah. Actually, a new crate motor is looking really good now. I could just put the original engine on a stand in the corner of the garage and let somebody deal with everything somewhere down the road.
Duane

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic Balancer replacement

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer replacement