C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded to EFI

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 11:18 AM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Upgraded to EFI

One of the upgrade for my 72 LT1 is EFI, and thinking of the Vorla system. Has anyone install this system and how to you like it, is it worth the money, is there something better for less?
Old 10-06-2016, 11:45 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Never heard of vorla. Are there enough people running it to where you can get support? IME that is the single most important thing, enough cars using it so there are people who have run into the same issues you will and have solved them.

Holley HP/Terminator
Fitech
Megasquirt

Those are the ones I see the most on the net. BTW, I'm running the Holley HP and it's a good system.

Last edited by zwede; 10-06-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:21 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

I am assuming that the OP is talking about Borla. Probably the 8 stack system. More info needed though.

For the OP, what kind of system are you thinking of? Throttle body injection, sequential multiport injection. I would stick to one of the established names like Zwede mentioned. I have a custom EFI setup using a FAST XFI 2.0 ECU. Works pretty well and was what the intake builder recommended. The HP would also have been a good choice as well.

I am local to you so if interested, let me know and I can show you how the FAST works with the laptop tuning.
The following users liked this post:
newbie2vette (10-06-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 02:30 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I went DPFI batch fire, speed density, so no MAF sensor back in '95 when I bought the car.....same 1227730 computer as used in '89+ F body and 91? vettes......

at first it was a L98 induction, but as time went on it's a highly modified LT1 induction with HEI in back where GOD intended.......

pump in back using stock 3/8 supply and the smaller 5/16 return lines, just top of the line hose and GOOD clamps on the steel lines.....

ALL of which should be common enough with a ~100 buck aftermarket chip....to get the price down to less than a grand for an L98 setup, which bought me some almost doubling of fuel economy over that old stock QJ ....I drove it with the OEM muncie 4 speed to Florida and back preparing to move....and up/down I 95 being pushed as the slow guy at 80 mph....with no overdrive the car got 24 mpg.....

since the overdrive automatic is installed, I have not done any trans/con driving at 80 mpg which is now only 2400 rpm instead of 4 grand or so......

ALL of these sort of mods depend on your use of the car.....

and the cost of the mods.....I had a run in with some aftermarket FI setups and it was a time waster.....went back to a well done chip in a stock computer and had done with it, just like the first time around.....

Old 10-06-2016, 08:57 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveG75
I am assuming that the OP is talking about Borla. Probably the 8 stack system. More info needed though.

For the OP, what kind of system are you thinking of? Throttle body injection, sequential multiport injection. I would stick to one of the established names like Zwede mentioned. I have a custom EFI setup using a FAST XFI 2.0 ECU. Works pretty well and was what the intake builder recommended. The HP would also have been a good choice as well.

I am local to you so if interested, let me know and I can show you how the FAST works with the laptop tuning.
My apologies, yes I am talking about the 8 stack for the small block chevy. reading about it and saw the video from Stacy David show, it will 20-30ft lb of tq. not to mentioned the awesome look under the hood.

You say local, what area are you from southern MD?
Old 10-06-2016, 09:01 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by newbie2vette
My apologies, yes I am talking about the 8 stack for the small block chevy. reading about it and saw the video from Stacy David show, it will 20-30ft lb of tq. not to mentioned the awesome look under the hood.

You say local, what area are you from southern MD?
I would take that 20-30 ft lb number with a grain of salt. Engine was probably optimized for that induction setup. I'm sure it is also not cheap.

I am just across the bridge in Lusby.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:41 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

From what I can tell, the Borla 8-stack is a rather pricey EFI intake manifold. You still have to add the EFI computer and wiring and fuel system. They will quote a price on a FAST computer but you can use whichever standalone computer you want. So, use the manifold and add one of the popular EFI computers and you'll have a really cool looking system that should work well.

As for better for less, likely almost every other system could meet that requirement since the Borla manifold is around $4k and the rest of the parts needed will add at least another $1k to the installation. But, no other intake would look as cool.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 10-06-2016 at 11:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Upgraded to EFI

Quick Reply: Upgraded to EFI