C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tough lesson learned about spreader bars!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 09:18 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,070 Posts

26 3/8 is the correct dim between the frame mounts.

Mildly related video on frame flex
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rame-flex.html

M
The following users liked this post:
jetmech (10-22-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 09:09 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Ok I got the parts from Speedway and maed up the mounts tonight and installed it. Easy upgrade.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:11 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jetmech
Is that the VB&P spreader bar?
Yes.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:27 PM
lan240
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry's70LT1
I made my own. The bracket design is a copy from someone here on the forum.
I made the brackets from 1/4" plywood first to get the exact measurements, then cut out the steel plate.
The bar parts were from Speedway Motors.

How long was the tube you ordered?
Old 08-02-2018, 10:56 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts

It's nice to see the custom designs made here. I did the same for my 454 with the belt-driven fan removed. Less than $30 invested in parts readily available. You just need a welder or know someone who has a welder to make the brackets.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:32 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by ronarndt
It's nice to see the custom designs made here. I did the same for my 454 with the belt-driven fan removed. Less than $30 invested in parts readily available. You just need a welder or know someone who has a welder to make the brackets.
Or start the a c-channel piece of metal and cut away what you don't need. These where made without any welding.

I made my own for my ZZ383 with GM serpentine kit

carriljc (04-19-2022)
Old 08-04-2018, 10:45 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Some very creative solutions on here. Very well done gentlemen

For those of us without fabrication skills, VB&P used to offer a spreader bar kit with unwelded mounting plates. You simply mocked it up and took them to a shop to be welded. I imagine these could still be found on eBay.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:41 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 453 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard454
Hey Mike-

I have NEVER accidentally bought the wrong part!!!

A bunch of stuff is in the way- a dry sump and a few extra cylinders.- so made my own

Used a Panhard bar from Speedway motors and some 2" angle iron-

Think I have about $60 in the set-up and it very easy to remove.

Just so happens they come in 22½" in length-

Cleaned up the angle iron- prettied it up w/ some paint-

Dry sump pump in the way-

pass side-

installed-plenty of clearance over the pump

Does this set up rock fore and aft?
Old 06-14-2020, 05:51 AM
Aussie79vette
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry's70LT1
I made my own. The bracket design is a copy from someone here on the forum.
I made the brackets from 1/4" plywood first to get the exact measurements, then cut out the steel plate.
The bar parts were from Speedway Motors.

I am looking to order the parts to make up my own Spreader bar the same as you have done (great job)
How did you work the length of the bar to order ?
I am guessing it is best to have the longest possible with less thread as close to the Control Arm as possible.
Andy
Old 06-14-2020, 03:03 PM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 831 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Aussie79vette
I am looking to order the parts to make up my own Spreader bar the same as you have done (great job)
How did you work the length of the bar to order ?
I am guessing it is best to have the longest possible with less thread as close to the Control Arm as possible.
Andy
Andy,
I chose an 18" bar, which seemed to be sufficient, as I wasn't sure what my brackets would be like. The Speedway Motors part number is for the 18" bar. the number 910-34158 is the generic bar, then you choose the length. (In my case -18)
I agree that the longer the bar and less thread on the ends would/should be the most rigid.
After I constructed the brackets and installed the bar, I see that perhaps I might have been able to use the 19" bar. However I'm very satisfied with the 18".

A point I would like to make, a friend has a '74 Vette, and he also has a spreader bar (purchased pre made) and he said it made little difference in the feel of the car. This is before I made mine.
When I installed mine I immediately noticed the difference.

When I installed mine I had both front wheels off the ground, jack stands located where the lower "A" arm connects to the front cross member. I installed the bar and hand tightened the bar/joints pressing outward, then secured the nuts.

When I asked my friend how he installed his, he said, just hand tight with wheels on the ground. I explained my procedure, so he tried that. He said that produced a huge difference, much stiffer.
My view is that a "preload" is required to get the maximum result. When jacked up, the shock towers must lean out more than you might think.
Barry
jyounane (07-25-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 08:05 PM
Aussie79vette
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Barry, I will get all the measurments and make up a mock bar and see if an 18 or 19 inch will suit better.

I have been thinking about this addition for a while but to buy a factory bar and pay freight to Australia put it over US$350.00

Going this way of buying the parts from the USA and shipping will be a lot less.

Thanks for your quick reply, will post pictures when completed.

Andy
Old 12-16-2022, 07:00 PM
Basque32
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

I know this post is a couple of years out but as I've just completed fabricating bracket for and installing a spreader bar in my 73 and used Barry's order information from Speedway Motors. I figured I'd just post here as it concerns the size of the bar.

My biggest challenge is that I have a March front runner system installed and it extends forward quite a bit. So, getting the spreader bar located took some thinking/measuring/etc. It's located quite a bit forward from center due to the limitations with the front runner's pulleys.

My initial plan was to just use angle iron like what I saw in the posting. In fact, I bought some and cut two brackets and drilled them and test attached them in the car. They would probably have worked fine but I changed my mind the bought some 2" x 3/16" flat bar from HD and cut/drilled them out using some brackets from RideTech (RideTech 90000076 Rod End Bracket, [Narrow] Part #: 76890000076) that I ordered along with a 19" bar from Speedway Motors.

Yesterday I took my flat bar and brackets over to my friend's house as he has an industrial welder and all the good stuff to do the job right and had him weld the RideTech brackets to the flat bar. I took them home and painted them up and this morning I installed them in the car.

I initially started with the 19" bar but once it was installed there were no threads showing at all on the hiem joints, so I switched to the 18" bar. Maybe that was a non-issue, but I was thinking that there needed to be some adjustability with this setup? I'm guessing the reason I had less distance was because I changed to the flat bar/brackets vs. angle iron. The distance between the CA's cross shafts was 24.5" with wheels on the ground and the difference between the flat bar and angle iron should only be about 3/8" difference? Regardless, I now have about 3/4" of threads showing on each hiem joint. I believe the threaded area is 1.5" so about half is in the bar. The holes in the brackets and hiem joints are a humongous 5/8" so I had to procure that hardware from HD.

I did install the spreader bar with wheels off the ground. The weather here is in the 20's and snow on the ground so a test drive to check it out may not be until next spring.

Pics attached.

Spreader bar installed.

Drivers side pic

Passenger side pic

Passenger side with flash

Spreader bar passenger side view
Barry's70LT1 (12-30-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 07:28 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Nice solution.
Anything non-stock on the front of the motor is going to affect the spreader fit and then we just need to make it work the best we can and that's not always the best it could be. Having it anywhere is still a lot better than not having it at all.
Mine with the BB ended, if I put is as close as possible to the front bolt it just barely cleared the pulleys so UI had to move it up in front of the forward mounting bolt. Not ideal but not a lot of choice unless I change something else

(fwiw, the distance from the frame bracket to bracket where the UCA rods mount should be 26 3/8.
M
Old 12-16-2022, 07:52 PM
Basque32
Instructor

Mooser, thanks for the reply. Wow, I thought my space was limited. Yours is really stuffed in there! Nice job to you!
Yeah, I'm measuring from the inside of the cross-shaft bolt which are pretty big on the eBay CAs so there's probably another 2 inches there. I'll have to double check and measure it again. I think this car has had some issues in its past with some body work that I'm aware of; drivers side fender and rear panel have been replaced/repaired. So, I wouldn't be surprised if it off some.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:01 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

Originally Posted by Basque32
I know this post is a couple of years out but as I've just completed fabricating bracket for and installing a spreader bar in my 73 and used Barry's order information from Speedway Motors. I figured I'd just post here as it concerns the size of the bar.

My biggest challenge is that I have a March front runner system installed and it extends forward quite a bit. So, getting the spreader bar located took some thinking/measuring/etc. It's located quite a bit forward from center due to the limitations with the front runner's pulleys.

My initial plan was to just use angle iron like what I saw in the posting. In fact, I bought some and cut two brackets and drilled them and test attached them in the car. They would probably have worked fine but I changed my mind the bought some 2" x 3/16" flat bar from HD and cut/drilled them out using some brackets from RideTech (RideTech 90000076 Rod End Bracket, [Narrow] Part #: 76890000076) that I ordered along with a 19" bar from Speedway Motors.

Yesterday I took my flat bar and brackets over to my friend's house as he has an industrial welder and all the good stuff to do the job right and had him weld the RideTech brackets to the flat bar. I took them home and painted them up and this morning I installed them in the car.

I initially started with the 19" bar but once it was installed there were no threads showing at all on the hiem joints, so I switched to the 18" bar. Maybe that was a non-issue, but I was thinking that there needed to be some adjustability with this setup? I'm guessing the reason I had less distance was because I changed to the flat bar/brackets vs. angle iron. The distance between the CA's cross shafts was 24.5" with wheels on the ground and the difference between the flat bar and angle iron should only be about 3/8" difference? Regardless, I now have about 3/4" of threads showing on each hiem joint. I believe the threaded area is 1.5" so about half is in the bar. The holes in the brackets and hiem joints are a humongous 5/8" so I had to procure that hardware from HD.

I did install the spreader bar with wheels off the ground. The weather here is in the 20's and snow on the ground so a test drive to check it out may not be until next spring.

Pics attached.

Spreader bar installed.

Drivers side pic

Passenger side pic

Passenger side with flash

Spreader bar passenger side view
good job.
what alumn radiator is that?
did it install like a stock one?
Old 12-16-2022, 09:10 PM
Basque32
Instructor

That is a Cold Case Direct Fit rad. Well, almost direct fit lol. I had to replace the petcock that came with it to one that was more narrow (without wings) so it would open. Interference issue with the frame. Otherwise it's been OK.
Old 12-16-2022, 09:16 PM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 358 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

My serp is off a Z-28. Fits with no issues and VB&P spreader bar is not an issue.
Basque32 (12-16-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Tough lesson learned about spreader bars!

Old 12-16-2022, 09:31 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

Originally Posted by Basque32
That is a Cold Case Direct Fit rad. Well, almost direct fit lol. I had to replace the petcock that came with it to one that was more narrow (without wings) so it would open. Interference issue with the frame. Otherwise it's been OK.
thank you for the response
Old 12-16-2022, 09:49 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I hadn't looked into the spreader bar much, although it has been on my wish list. I never knew that it can be installed on a stock clutch fan set up. Thanks for the thread and photos.

One day.
Old 12-16-2022, 09:57 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Easy (usually) install and well worth stiffening up the front suspension.
(probably have to click to watch it over on youtube, it's an old video so it'll sit and load for awhile here)
This was just an easy drive up the street in town
M

Quick Reply: Tough lesson learned about spreader bars!