C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 10:40 PM
Calo69
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16, '18
Default Power steering help please

Problem occurs when car is stationary and i turn the wheels. Wheels turn with more than normal effort causing a pulsing, vibration that transmits to steering wheel.
New pump, control valve, belt, hoses.
Steering is great when car is in motion, no play in wheel, tracks straight, minimum effort both direction, responsive with a good return.
Only when stationary on ground does problem occur.
Thanks in advance
Old 10-18-2016, 11:07 PM
A88FXRS
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Calo69
Problem occurs when car is stationary and i turn the wheels. Wheels turn with more than normal effort causing a pulsing, vibration that transmits to steering wheel.
New pump, control valve, belt, hoses.
Steering is great when car is in motion, no play in wheel, tracks straight, minimum effort both direction, responsive with a good return.
Only when stationary on ground does problem occur.
Thanks in advance

pump pressure could be low. should run @ 1100 psi under load.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:11 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

It could as simple as the tire width, type of rubber, or how much tire is in contact with the road when stationary. Park on a garage floor that is really smooth and give it a try then wet the garage floor and try it again, pull the car out onto the rough asphalt and see the difference. My brand new Chevy 4X4 with off road tires does something similar ever since I changed from the stock tires. May be nothing.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:53 AM
Calo69
Drifting

Originally Posted by A88FXRS
pump pressure could be low. should run @ 1100 psi under load.
Thanks, i'm guessing either flow or pressure, hoping some had same symptoms before i put a gauge on it
Old 10-19-2016, 06:57 AM
Calo69
Drifting

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
It could as simple as the tire width, type of rubber, or how much tire is in contact with the road when stationary. Park on a garage floor that is really smooth and give it a try then wet the garage floor and try it again, pull the car out onto the rough asphalt and see the difference. My brand new Chevy 4X4 with off road tires does something similar ever since I changed from the stock tires. May be nothing.
Thanks but tires are same a before changes and did not have problem previously
Old 10-19-2016, 08:13 AM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

did you change out the flow control valve from the original pump to the new pump, i think corvettes had a special valve in the pump. Jim Shey has an article and other threads on this.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:29 AM
Calo69
Drifting

Originally Posted by speedreed8
did you change out the flow control valve from the original pum

p to the new pump, i think corvettes had a special valve in the pump. Jim Shey has an article and other threads on this.
No, just used one that came with pump, gave all info on car to my parts guy to order
Old 10-19-2016, 12:21 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

When I purchased my '73, the prior owner just replaced the power steering pump and all components. I took it to a Corvette specialty shop and had them do a full safety inspection on the car and one of the items they documented was that the high pressure line was leaking and that the pump and components were generic for a Chevrolet, however they were the incorrect parts for a Corvette. They showed me the difference in the pump, lines and other components and told me this was a common mistake made when owners order the replacement parts through a parts store rather than through someone who specialized in Corvettes. I ordered the new steering components and pump and had them installed.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:35 PM
Calo69
Drifting

Thanks,
Valve and hoses i know are corvette specific, pump was supposed to be also, i will have them double check pump specs to make sure it is correct also.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:52 PM
Calo69
Drifting

Double checked, pump is correct application. To the testing board.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:57 PM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

A couple months back I replaced the pump on my '76 Camaro. Had the exact issue with the replacement pump. Turned out the new pump was bad and needed to be replaced......how I hate swapping that PS pulley.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:02 PM
Calo69
Drifting

Originally Posted by divotdug
A couple months back I replaced the pump on my '76 Camaro. Had the exact issue with the replacement pump. Turned out the new pump was bad and needed to be replaced......how I hate swapping that PS pulley.
Thanks, i was hoping someone had exact symptons, my pulley is easy, no puller needed just a keyway with a nut.

I spoke with a rep from cardone,said if i revved in neutral and assist was good then the power valve is sticking, assist got much better so maybe i can check that out, i'll test pressure also.
Just PIA for out of box part.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:59 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Calo69
Thanks, i was hoping someone had exact symptons, my pulley is easy, no puller needed just a keyway with a nut.

I spoke with a rep from cardone,said if i revved in neutral and assist was good then the power valve is sticking, assist got much better so maybe i can check that out, i'll test pressure also.
Just PIA for out of box part.
I was just going to ask if increasing the idle speed to 1500 or 2000 rpm provided more assist while the car is stationary. Increasing the idle speed would increase the flow from the pump and might indicate a pump that is not to spec.

The one component that you didn't replace was the assist cylinder (aka ram). If the ram was worn out, (i.e. there is a plastic piston ring inside the ram that seals against the inside wall of the cylinder.) If that ring was worn and caused leakage (inside the ram) to the point where the system required more flow, it might be the cause of your problem. BTW, the ram is a welded assembly and you cannot service that plastic ring.

BTW, I am not sure what the "power valve sticking" means. If the Cardone man is saying that the flow control valve inside the pump is sticking, then he has supplied you a defective power steering pump. There is a slide valve inside the pump (just behind the one inch hex fitting). You should be able to remove the power steering hose from the fitting. Then unscrew the fitting to remove it. You should be able to use a small screw driver to push on the slide valve that is right behind the fitting. You should be able to press on the valve and feel it compress a spring and it should easily slide inside the pump bore. That is a requirement for a brand new, rebuilt, or an old well functioning pump.
Jim

Last edited by Jim Shea; 10-22-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:14 AM
Calo69
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
I was just going to ask if increasing the idle speed to 1500 or 2000 rpm provided more assist while the car is stationary. Increasing the idle speed would increase the flow from the pump and might indicate a pump that is not to spec.

The one component that you didn't replace was the assist cylinder (aka ram). If the ram was worn out, (i.e. there is a plastic piston ring inside the ram that seals against the inside wall of the cylinder.) If that ring was worn and caused leakage (inside the ram) to the point where the system required more flow, it might be the cause of your problem. BTW, the ram is a welded assembly and you cannot service that plastic ring.
Jim
Thank you Jim,

I didn't change it because system was working good until problems with control valve and pump came up, maybe those problems were related to ram, any way to check proper operation ? Seems like the kind of problem that can look like its' working but just not strong enough to do proper job. Might as well change anyway.

Thanks again
Old 10-22-2016, 11:15 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Have you verified that you have the proper amount of P/S fluid in the system? Correct symptoms for low fluid condition...
Old 10-23-2016, 06:58 AM
Calo69
Drifting

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Have you verified that you have the proper amount of P/S fluid in the system? Correct symptoms for low fluid condition...
Yes, started with that, hoping for simple solution, no luck.
Thanks
Old 10-23-2016, 12:25 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Most likely candidates:

'Skipping' P/S drive belt when under load (try scuffing the drive sides of the belt with Scotchbrite pad); wrong drive belt (face angles wrong for GM pulley); worn out P/S pump (internal leakage); weak/damaged P/S pump relief valve.

Good luck with your investigation & repair.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 10-23-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:32 PM
Calo69
Drifting

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Most likely candidates:

'Skipping' P/S drive belt when under load (try scuffing the drive sides of the belt with Scotchbrite pad); wrong drive belt (face angles wrong for GM pulley); worn out P/S pump (internal leakage); weak/damaged P/S pump relief valve.

Good luck with your investigation & repair.
Thanks, i had scuffed up pulley with an abrasive, but now after drive this morning i was in middle lane with cars on both sides and i was able to pick up on some belt squeal for first time, belt is new, correct and tight. I will re-address pulley tommorow.
Thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering help please

Quick Reply: Power steering help please