C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is the 'Easiest' Fuel Injection System to Install on my 1980?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 03:51 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Which is the 'Easiest' Fuel Injection System to Install on my 1980?

Which is the best (easiest to install/dial in, most reliable, reasonable price) fuel injection system to install on a Shark (1980)? I would be replacing the q-jet and edelbrock intake.

Many systems appear to require the computer controlled HEI (if I want the system to control the advance that is).

All of the systems I have studied appear to require a steel fuel return line for the injection unit. Can I use the 'bypass' metal line that currently attaches to my mechanical fuel pump? It attaches to the fuel pump via a rubber hose; I assume it would require a metal fitting if it even is up to the challenge. Also am assuming this line is metal all of the way back to the tank... may be assuming too much here...

Also, are all of the 'sensors' fairly straightforward? Systems I have looked at include Edelbrock, Accel and Holley and range from both wet and dry injection systems.

I'm looking for some first-hand experiences, Pros, and cons of each. No immediate plans but that would be the next big project that I might undertake before diving into the interior (and after resolving trans leaks).

:seeya
Old 09-16-2002, 04:30 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Which is the 'Easiest' Fuel Injection System to Install on my 1980? (TedH)

Which is the best (easiest to install/dial in, most reliable, reasonable price) fuel injection system to install on a Shark (1980)? I would be replacing the q-jet and edelbrock intake.
Probably a Holley commander 950 TBI unit. You can keep the intake. The port injection version is also pretty easy to install (I have the port injection).

Many systems appear to require the computer controlled HEI (if I want the system to control the advance that is).
Correct. Not a big deal. I recommend the small cap HEI (87-95). I got mine from autozone. $150 complete.

All of the systems I have studied appear to require a steel fuel return line for the injection unit.
The return operates under very low pressure. No need for a steel line. I used aluminum. You shouldn't see more than 3-4 PSI in the return line, MAX.

Can I use the 'bypass' metal line that currently attaches to my mechanical fuel pump?
Nope. Factory return line is only 1/4". Should be 3/8" for EFI.

It attaches to the fuel pump via a rubber hose; I assume it would require a metal fitting if it even is up to the challenge. Also am assuming this line is metal all of the way back to the tank... may be assuming too much here...
There are rubber hoses at the tank for feed and return. Rubber hose is fine for EFI, but has to be of the high pressure kind. I found EFI hose at pep-boys. Rated at 100 PSI working pressure and 500 PSI burst. You can NOT use regular carb fuel hose for any part of the fuel system that is pressurized.

Also, are all of the 'sensors' fairly straightforward? Systems I have looked at include Edelbrock, Accel and Holley and range from both wet and dry injection systems.
Sensors are straight forward. On the port injection systems they all install on the throttle body or manifold. Only exception is the O2 sensor that is installed in the exhaust.

I'm looking for some first-hand experiences, Pros, and cons of each. No immediate plans but that would be the next big project that I might undertake before diving into the interior (and after resolving trans leaks).

:seeya
Check out my webpage. I have a write-up of the install on my '71.
Old 09-16-2002, 06:41 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Which is the 'Easiest' Fuel Injection System to Install on my 1980? (TedH)

I would go with any decent DPFI system, Edel is good, and I can't see spending more than 2 grand on any system...a TBI...system is just barely OK far as I"m concerned....seen friends with that on their cars...just not so hot a system...IMO stay away....
the stock type TPI is about the cheapest adaption at total cost around 700 bux...but you have to do your own work, harness of course...
with larger runners and good heads, no reason it can't do ~400 hp or so, properly cammed...headers, etc....

so the EASIEST??? probably Edelbrock....looks like a sweet setup to me...

will it clear the hood...I dunno....will a TPI clear the hood...yes....

GENE
Old 09-16-2002, 10:07 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Default Re: Which is the 'Easiest' Fuel Injection System to Install on my 1980? (mrvette)

Agree with Gene about the Edlebrock system. Looking at it myself.

Here is a link to the instillation instructions for the system: http://edelbrock.r-catalog.com/ImgVD/EDE/3500_Inst.pdf

Basically, you need to run a new feed line but the old feed line can be used as the return line (just redo the rubber hoses at the tank end). Height looks OK. Edelbrock also supplies the parts to convert the stock distributor or you can buy a Mallory Hall effect distributor (not the computer controlled HEI).

It is a 526k download but has some good info in it.

I found this info by going to the tech support part of Edelbrock's web site and using a 1974 Corvette has my vehicle under the "Instant Answer" section.

Old 09-17-2002, 09:14 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Which is the 'Easiest' Fuel Injection System to Install on my 1980? (SteveG75)

Steve

Have you checked the installation height? That thing looks very tall compared to the Holley MPFI system. Is about $400 cheaper than the Holley system which is nice. One thing I don't like is that it has a chip where the Holley system has software to download settings via a laptop. Might be able to burn your own chips for the Edel system but that is beyond me right now.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:31 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Which is the 'Easiest' Fuel Injection System to Install on my 1980? (zwede)

Now for the $64,000 question:

What components do I remove from the car (, never to return...) once I install the injection system (besides the obvious carb, intake and air cleaner? Specifically, what happens to the evap canister/hoses, pcv hose routing, egr valve/hoses, smog pump/hoses, efe actuator/hoses? What remains from an emissions and vacuum perspective? I noted that the power brake and headlight actuator vacuum lines have connections on the new intake (at rear). I removed the TH350 in favor of the 700R4 so I don't have that vacuum line anymore.

What air cleaner options do I have for a smallblock chevy? Can I still use my stock, dual snorkel ram-air system?

Get notified of new replies

To Which is the 'Easiest' Fuel Injection System to Install on my 1980?

Quick Reply: Which is the 'Easiest' Fuel Injection System to Install on my 1980?