C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

serp pulleys for 71

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 07:45 PM
cdw
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default serp pulleys for 71

will have a little down time this winter and was wondering if there was a salvage yard serpentine pulley system to install on my 71 sb. no air,just water pump,alt,power pump,and crank. everything now is stock with exception of cs130 alt. with conversion plug in. water pump is summit aluminum for my 71. everything on forums seems to be for a/c and sometimes air pumps. mine is pretty simple. thanks
Old 10-21-2016, 09:31 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by cdw
will have a little down time this winter and was wondering if there was a salvage yard serpentine pulley system to install on my 71 sb. no air,just water pump,alt,power pump,and crank. everything now is stock with exception of cs130 alt. with conversion plug in. water pump is summit aluminum for my 71. everything on forums seems to be for a/c and sometimes air pumps. mine is pretty simple. thanks
This is what I have installed
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...-size/5-7l-350

Which I believe is what you should be able to find in a salvage yard from most 91' chev / GM cars. 91-up Camaro etc.
The above kit requires a reverse flow water pump which may be different than what you already have.

Last edited by cagotzmann; 10-21-2016 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:48 AM
cdw
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default pulleys

thanks for the reply. wow thats a lot of stuff and a lot cash. i was just wondering if a person could just get a alt. pulley,a water pump pulley,a crank pulley,and power steering pump pulley and tension it with the alt. adjustment or possibly with a tension set up. already have the alt. pulley. my v-belt setup is very simple and easy to maintain. just looking fore something more modern if possible. thanks.
Originally Posted by cagotzmann
This is what I have installed
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...-size/5-7l-350

Which I believe is what you should be able to find in a salvage yard from most 91' chev / GM cars. 91-up Camaro etc.
The above kit requires a reverse flow water pump which may be different than what you already have.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:57 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Methinks you maybe kinda SAOL on finding a setup without a/c....you maybe get lucky in a junkyard, but not in FLORIDA.......
Old 10-22-2016, 11:14 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,175 Likes on 2,737 Posts

I wanted to use my remaining cash for my new paint so I did the salvage yard thing. First I measured the diameter of each pulley that I needed and found salvage yards that stocked older vehicles.

I didn't want to go the route that included the forward mounting accessory bracket.......

I found the correct pulleys on late 1980s and early 1990s trucks....haven't installed them yet....I'll probably use the alternator adjustment to tension the serp belt as you said.

I made sure the crank pulley was similar in diameter to the original pulley/the I.D. (hole size) for the fit on the crankshaft was identical....and the backspacing was the same/or slightly less so the rear shoulder of the pulley could be shimmed if it rubbed against the engine block.

On the waterpump pulley......same procedure....being a machinist I can drill new bolt holes if the serp pulley bolt holes don't have the same pattern....I can also add backspacing shims so it will align in the same plane with the crank pulley.

The alternator can be shimmed forward or rearward as needed.

P/S is N/A.....but I would use the same procedure.

If necessary later on I will adapt a belt tensioner to the engine.

Hope that helps.......total cost about $40 and a can of black spray paint.

Last edited by doorgunner; 10-22-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:35 PM
cdw
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default serpentine

thanks everybody for your input. i think i'll try doorgunner's method as there are some older salvage yards in the area.
Originally Posted by doorgunner
I wanted to use my remaining cash for my new paint so I did the salvage yard thing. First I measured the diameter of each pulley that I needed and found salvage yards that stocked older vehicles.

I didn't want to go the route that included the forward mounting accessory bracket.......

I found the correct pulleys on late 1980s and early 1990s trucks....haven't installed them yet....I'll probably use the alternator adjustment to tension the serp belt as you said.

I made sure the crank pulley was similar in diameter to the original pulley/the I.D. (hole size) for the fit on the crankshaft was identical....and the backspacing was the same/or slightly less so the rear shoulder of the pulley could be shimmed if it rubbed against the engine block.

On the waterpump pulley......same procedure....being a machinist I can drill new bolt holes if the serp pulley bolt holes don't have the same pattern....I can also add backspacing shims so it will align in the same plane with the crank pulley.

The alternator can be shimmed forward or rearward as needed.

P/S is N/A.....but I would use the same procedure.

If necessary later on I will adapt a belt tensioner to the engine.

Hope that helps.......total cost about $40 and a can of black spray paint.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:46 AM
LT1M21Vette
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
That is a lot of money for a belt.

Why would someone be spending almost a grand for a serp. belt?
Old 10-27-2016, 07:55 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by cdw
thanks for the reply. wow thats a lot of stuff and a lot cash. i was just wondering if a person could just get a alt. pulley,a water pump pulley,a crank pulley,and power steering pump pulley and tension it with the alt. adjustment or possibly with a tension set up. already have the alt. pulley. my v-belt setup is very simple and easy to maintain. just looking fore something more modern if possible. thanks.
Would you be open to using a dummy pulley in place of the A/C compressor pulley?

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...QvhcILA&adurl=
Old 10-27-2016, 09:11 AM
cdw
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default belts.

not me. thanks for the reply
Originally Posted by LT1M21Vette
That is a lot of money for a belt.

Why would someone be spending almost a grand for a serp. belt?
Old 10-27-2016, 09:15 AM
cdw
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default pulleys

thanks for the reply sh-60b. i have a very simple system now and don't want to add a lot of other parts. if i can replace the current pulleys with serp. and keep the simplicity i'll go that route.
Originally Posted by SH-60B
Would you be open to using a dummy pulley in place of the A/C compressor pulley?

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...QvhcILA&adurl=

Get notified of new replies

To serp pulleys for 71

Quick Reply: serp pulleys for 71