C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Thermal Switches

Old 12-03-2016, 12:54 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by r16678
Did have a question where can I get all three TVS, green, yellow and purple. I checked doc rebuild and he had yellow only, the purple was out of stock and I did not see the green. thanks again for the help.
E-bay
Old 12-03-2016, 03:58 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 64roadster
DUB, you are an asset to this forum and all of us trying keep these cars on the road. Your support helped me learn how my '81 carb and emissions worked to the point everything operates correctly. Otherwise I would have gutted it and taken what seemed like the easy route. Now I just have to get the HVAC system working correctly. BTW, I hope you're enjoying the mini C2 dash I sent you.
YES----VERY VERY MUCH!
( sorry for the hijacking of this thread on this).

DUB
Old 12-03-2016, 04:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

Thanks Dub the purple one broke off at the head, so I have to try to get that one. The other two are locked into the old housing and have a bunch of build up around them inside the thermostat housing, I can trying cleaning them up and see if I can reuse them. I appreciate the guidance. Thanks again for all your help.
If you can post a photo of the amount of 'build up' you are referring to would be helpful.

The CLR stuff will work but being pipe thread design..I seriously doubt it can wick into these threads.

In my opinion. If I had a customer who wanted me to address these two TVS' in the thermostat housing and wanted me to take them out. I would either cut the thermostat housing and get the TVS' to come out and get a new one....or possibly apply heat the the thermostat housing and get it to expand some and then try to take the TVS' out.

If I was finding that I was beginning to round off the hex head portion of the TVS....I would sacrifice the thermostat housing...and NOT think twice about it. And this is becauase you can buy the thermostat housing readliy. And the cost of the thermostat is less than me farting around for hours on trying to get two TVS' out.

DUB
Old 12-03-2016, 06:05 PM
r16678
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
If you can post a photo of the amount of 'build up' you are referring to would be helpful.

The CLR stuff will work but being pipe thread design..I seriously doubt it can wick into these threads.

In my opinion. If I had a customer who wanted me to address these two TVS' in the thermostat housing and wanted me to take them out. I would either cut the thermostat housing and get the TVS' to come out and get a new one....or possibly apply heat the the thermostat housing and get it to expand some and then try to take the TVS' out.

If I was finding that I was beginning to round off the hex head portion of the TVS....I would sacrifice the thermostat housing...and NOT think twice about it. And this is becauase you can buy the thermostat housing readliy. And the cost of the thermostat is less than me farting around for hours on trying to get two TVS' out.

DUB
Thanks Dub, I just checked the inside of the thermostat housing. The green one has a broken off sensor inside the housing, so it is no good. I could probably cut out the yellow one. I found a yellow one online, is there any difference functionally between the green and the yellow one, can I replace the green one with a yellow one.
Thanks
Old 12-03-2016, 06:58 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

.......... can I replace the green one with a yellow one.
Thanks
Nope
Old 12-03-2016, 07:28 PM
r16678
Racer

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
Nope
Thank you I think I found the part # for the green one, 3031386. Called local dealer.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:28 AM
r16678
Racer

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
Nope
Had another question, what is different between each Thermal vacuum switch :
1. Purple
2. Yellow
3. Green
Old 12-04-2016, 06:56 PM
DUB
Race Director

Had another question, what is different between each Thermal vacuum switch :
1. Purple
2. Yellow
3. Green
I expalined/answered that in POST #11. That post must not have been read.

DUB
Old 12-04-2016, 07:17 PM
r16678
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
I expalined/answered that in POST #11. That post must not have been read.

DUB
Dub I understood what you said in post #11, but was not sure what the difference is between green & yellow TVS that sit in my thermostat housing. Do they perform different functions or react to water heat differently? My purple TVS is in the intake manifold. Thanks again for all your guidance.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:09 PM
DUB
Race Director

Dub I understood what you said in post #11, but was not sure what the difference is between green & yellow TVS that sit in my thermostat housing. Do they perform different functions or react to water heat differently? My purple TVS is in the intake manifold. Thanks again for all your guidance.
YES...your green and yellow TVS' perform different tasks because that are directly plumbed to specific parts on your engine. SO...they DO make a difference in where the vacuum hoses go.

The purple one may operate BEFORE the coolant temperature actually gets high enough for your thermostat to open. It has been a very long time ago....but in the past I checked them and knew what temp they basically 'switched' at. But that was LONG time ago and I have forget that. As long as they 'switch' is all I am usually concerned about.

The thread sizes of the TVS' is also specific so it can only be threaded in the thermostat housing where it is supposed to go.

YES...it is possible that the TVS can 'switch' at different times due to the sensor itself and the range of temperature it is set-up to switch at.

DUB
Old 12-05-2016, 09:04 PM
r16678
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
YES...your green and yellow TVS' perform different tasks because that are directly plumbed to specific parts on your engine. SO...they DO make a difference in where the vacuum hoses go.

The purple one may operate BEFORE the coolant temperature actually gets high enough for your thermostat to open. It has been a very long time ago....but in the past I checked them and knew what temp they basically 'switched' at. But that was LONG time ago and I have forget that. As long as they 'switch' is all I am usually concerned about.

The thread sizes of the TVS' is also specific so it can only be threaded in the thermostat housing where it is supposed to go.

YES...it is possible that the TVS can 'switch' at different times due to the sensor itself and the range of temperature it is set-up to switch at.

DUB
Thanks Dub that helps, appreciate it. I am doing my best to cut the yellow one out of the thermostat housing.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:45 AM
r16678
Racer

I found the GM part # for the purple one and the yellow one, but can not find the part # for the green one. Anyone have an idea what the green TVS part # is
Purple EGR - part # GM 373510
Yellow EFE TVS - part # GM 14009008
Old 12-06-2016, 06:11 PM
DUB
Race Director

What is the green one going to????

I know one hose is from a vacuum source...but where does the other hose go to???

I will look IN my GM parts book and see if I can find it.....but knowing what it is doing will help.

DUB
Old 12-06-2016, 06:38 PM
r16678
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
What is the green one going to????

I know one hose is from a vacuum source...but where does the other hose go to???

I will look IN my GM parts book and see if I can find it.....but knowing what it is doing will help.

DUB
Green one screws into the thermostat housing. looks line one line goes to distributor.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:42 PM
DUB
Race Director

Green one screws into the thermostat housing. looks line one line goes to distributor.

Thought so. I will get back to you on this.

DUB
Old 12-06-2016, 06:45 PM
r16678
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB

Thought so. I will get back to you on this.

DUB
Thanks dub, here is assembly pic with arrow pointing to the efe switch.
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2016, 06:49 PM
DUB
Race Director

Just so we are on the 'same page'...You are NOT pointing to the EFE TVS switch....you are pointing the 'TR SPK TVS'

I will look into it for you tomorrow.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Question on Thermal Switches

Old 12-06-2016, 07:23 PM
r16678
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
Just so we are on the 'same page'...You are NOT pointing to the EFE TVS switch....you are pointing the 'TR SPK TVS'

I will look into it for you tomorrow.

DUB
Yes you are correct, thanks a bunch
Old 12-07-2016, 04:00 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

I found the GM part # for the purple one and the yellow one, but can not find the part # for the green one. Anyone have an idea what the green TVS part # is?
Purple EGR - part # GM 373510
This is FYI but this GM # is an OEM part number...whereas

Yellow EFE TVS - part # GM 14009008
This GM # is a service replacement. The number sequence indicates when numbers were assigned...I mean this is totally useless to R16678 queries.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:04 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Thanks dub, here is assembly pic with arrow pointing to the efe switch.
Your red arrow is pointing to the transmission spark TVS switch...not the EFE...as DUB points out.

So the TVS switch hose routes to the distributor; through the TVS switch; and then onto the carb port. Engine manifold vacuum is controlling or managing distributor spark advance...kind of an interesting "vacuum" emission management technique.

The attached document shows the hose routing of a 1978 L48 to the carb port less the transmission spark TVS switch (#3). All you are doing is inserting the TVS switch into the distributor to carb port hose circuit. In my 78, I don't have the TS TVS switch so it connects directly. What you may be missing is the "F" which is a three-port check valve. The hose from the distributor routes to the front port of the check valve. From your AIM Schematic, you can see that two ports route to the TR Spark TVS switch. The back side of the check valve routes to the carb port per my schematic below.

Supposedly, you 79 gets 5 HP more from all this emission hose configuration...but, as you have learned, it gets much more freakin complicated. We should have recognized that this was a premonition of an Obama administration.

Frankly if you wanted to make your Corvette life less complicated, configure it like my 78. Get a thermostat housing with only one inlet port for a TVS switch. You're down to purple and yellow...drop the green and route the hose directly from the distributor to the lower carb port as shown in the schmatic.

TVS Switch_1979.pdf

Last edited by hunt4cleanair; 12-07-2016 at 04:50 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question on Thermal Switches