C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Thermal Switches

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 05:17 PM
r16678
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
This is FYI but this GM # is an OEM part number...whereas

This GM # is a service replacement. The number sequence indicates when numbers were assigned...I mean this is totally useless to R16678 queries.
THank you that is good information to know.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:22 PM
r16678
Racer

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
Your red arrow is pointing to the transmission spark TVS switch...not the EFE...as DUB points out.

So the TVS switch hose routes to the distributor; through the TVS switch; and then onto the carb port. Engine manifold vacuum is controlling or managing distributor spark advance...kind of an interesting "vacuum" emission management technique.

The attached document shows the hose routing of a 1978 L48 to the carb port less the transmission spark TVS switch (#3). All you are doing is inserting the TVS switch into the distributor to carb port hose circuit. In my 78, I don't have the TS TVS switch so it connects directly. What you may be missing is the "F" which is a three-port check valve. The hose from the distributor routes to the front port of the check valve. From your AIM Schematic, you can see that two ports route to the TR Spark TVS switch. The back side of the check valve routes to the carb port per my schematic below.

Supposedly, you 79 gets 5 HP more from all this emission hose configuration...but, as you have learned, it gets much more freakin complicated. We should have recognized that this was a premonition of an Obama administration.

Frankly if you wanted to make your Corvette life less complicated, configure it like my 78. Get a thermostat housing with only one inlet port for a TVS switch. You're down to purple and yellow...drop the green and route the hose directly from the distributor to the lower carb port as shown in the schmatic.

Attachment 48043491
Thank you that makes sense, I already purchased the thermo housing for two ports, if all else fails I will for sure use your suggestions. thanks again
Old 12-07-2016, 05:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If you want to by-pass the green TVS...you can simply put a pipe plug in the thermostat housing where the green one would go.

If my memory serves me correctly. I would have to see a correct hose routing for it to be for certain.

The TVS that goes to the distributor....stops the vacuum to the distributor advance until the coolant gets hot enough to open the green TVS.

Do you still want me to look for you for the green one???? I have a super rough day today from the time i got to work til I left. I feel whipped.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
r16678 (12-09-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 05:47 PM
r16678
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
If you want to by-pass the green TVS...you can simply put a pipe plug in the thermostat housing where the green one would go.

If my memory serves me correctly. I would have to see a correct hose routing for it to be for certain.

The TVS that goes to the distributor....stops the vacuum to the distributor advance until the coolant gets hot enough to open the green TVS.

Do you still want me to look for you for the green one???? I have a super rough day today from the time i got to work til I left. I feel whipped.

DUB
Yes please Dub I would like to know the GM part # for the green one. Thanks a bunch
Old 12-09-2016, 06:23 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The numbers I have in the GM parts manual are:

For an 1980-1981 the book showed 3031549. But I wrote this number in the book beside that number which I do when there has been a part number change. The number I wrote in is 355961

Then the book showed another number for a 1980 also which is 3043015

There was NO specific listing for a 1979 at all. On the page for a 1979...it did not even show that TVS. It did show the EGR TVS and the EFE TVS though. But the numbers listed above are for the spark control TVS.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
r16678 (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 06:37 PM
r16678
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
The numbers I have in the GM parts manual are:

For an 1980-1981 the book showed 3031549. But I wrote this number in the book beside that number which I do when there has been a part number change. The number I wrote in is 355961

Then the book showed another number for a 1980 also which is 3043015

There was NO specific listing for a 1979 at all. On the page for a 1979...it did not even show that TVS. It did show the EGR TVS and the EFE TVS though. But the numbers listed above are for the spark control TVS.

DUB
Thanks a bunch DUB, I appreciate you going the extra mile to find the info.

Quick Reply: Question on Thermal Switches