C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine runs too cool

Old 12-01-2016, 08:25 AM
sgt kohler
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default engine runs too cool

about a month or so ago my original radiator on my 72 ,350,4 speed started leaking. so I replaced the radiator with an aluminum one from champion. I also put in a new water pump , the stock cast iron type. I also changed all the hoses and clutch fan, belts etc. I had already been running a new fail safe 185 degree thermostat.... before the repairs my car would run in the 185/195 range. I have a temp gun that ive been checking it with because after the first test drive I thought my gauge had broken. not true. 20 mile run and the temp at the radiator, gauge and water pump was around 117/ 125. ok so heres the problem. if I crank it up and let it idle I can watch the choke open all the way. when I go down the road and its cool outside 50/60 degrees the choke will close because its cooling off too much. when I filled the radiator I put one gallon of anti freeze and the rest water. I live in east texas and it never really goes below 25/30 degrees here during the winter if that, plus my cars are all kept inside my shop so what did I do?
Old 12-01-2016, 09:36 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Your "fail safe" thermostat has failed in the OPEN position. The "fail safe" terminology doesn't mean that it will not fail; it means that when it fails, it will fail 'safe' (meaning that it can't fail in the CLOSED position and cause the engine to overheat).

Replace the stat with a standard Robert Shaw 180*F stat.
The following users liked this post:
NewbVetteGuy (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 11:28 AM
sgt kohler
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Your "fail safe" thermostat has failed in the OPEN position. The "fail safe" terminology doesn't mean that it will not fail; it means that when it fails, it will fail 'safe' (meaning that it can't fail in the CLOSED position and cause the engine to overheat).

where might I purchase one of these?
Old 12-01-2016, 11:31 AM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette

I agree with you, except, I'd replace it with a 195* stat. That will give it more time to keep the stat closed and engine to warm to operating temp.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:00 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I think a 180* ts is a good compromise between a 160 or a 195. A 195 will heat the engine quicker but the engine will run hotter. A 160 and the engine will run cooler which may promote wear as the oil may not be at its optimum temperature.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:55 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

I've experienced, here in the desert, a 160 or 185* t stat, once the motor gets hot, it's stays hot. The t stat doesn't stay closed long enough for the radiator to do it's job. Therefore, it stays open and the engine continues to get to a higher temp, or over heat, sometimes. If you have a 195* it will allow for exchange of the coolant from the engine to the radiator. The longer it can stay in the radiator, the longer the radiator has to do it's job. But, that's just what I've learned in my time. Results may vary, depending on location. I use this all the time though, so far, it's worked.

If the new car gauges read true, most people would freak out. New cars run "hot" by the old car standards. I bet my 6.6 diesel truck runs 230 or more....hahaha
Old 12-01-2016, 02:03 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Nice to have synthetics to cope with the higher heat.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:24 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by USAFVeteran
I've experienced, here in the desert, a 160 or 185* t stat, once the motor gets hot, it's stays hot. The t stat doesn't stay closed long enough for the radiator to do it's job. Therefore, it stays open and the engine continues to get to a higher temp, or over heat, sometimes. If you have a 195* it will allow for exchange of the coolant from the engine to the radiator. The longer it can stay in the radiator, the longer the radiator has to do it's job. But, that's just what I've learned in my time. Results may vary, depending on location. I use this all the time though, so far, it's worked.

If the new car gauges read true, most people would freak out. New cars run "hot" by the old car standards. I bet my 6.6 diesel truck runs 230 or more....hahaha
Bur remember, conversely, the water will have a correspondingly longer time to stay in the engine getting hotter. If you want a large temperature drop across the radiator you're stuck getting a large temperature rise in the engine.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:34 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
Bur remember, conversely, the water will have a correspondingly longer time to stay in the engine getting hotter. If you want a large temperature drop across the radiator you're stuck getting a large temperature rise in the engine.
These discussions have been going on forever.

If you have a properly operating thermostat and cooling system...THERE IS NO WAY THE ENGINE COOLANT TEMP WILL BE LESS THAN THE THERMOSTAT RATING.

Put a 180 in it and move on
Old 12-01-2016, 03:19 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

Originally Posted by mikem350
These discussions have been going on forever.

If you have a properly operating thermostat and cooling system...THERE IS NO WAY THE ENGINE COOLANT TEMP WILL BE LESS THAN THE THERMOSTAT RATING.

Put a 180 in it and move on
Are you agreeing or disagreeing with my post?
Old 12-01-2016, 03:33 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Dont care to discuss the physics. With a properly sized rad and good airflow, a 180 thermo wiil show the engine temps somewhat higher, but around 180.

To the OP, I was saying that a good thermo will not open till its rated temp...so it sounds like its stuck open. Also run 50/50 mix of coolant to stop corrosion.

There are a billion vehicles from every car company that will attest to this.

Last edited by mikem350; 12-01-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:42 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

You guys are right, with all the t stats that you use. I'm not here to argue, and I won't. I relay what has worked well for me.

If you have a 180* t stat, and if it's working properly, the engine won't get too far past 180* before it opens. And the same for a 195* t stat. So the engine getting a lot hotter with a higher t stat, isn't really relevant.

Use what you want, and I will too. I've been doing this for a very long time, as some others here have, and I don't have anything to prove. I just have experience to share, which is what I thought this forum was about. I know I'm not a well known person on this forum, but that doesn't mean I just started working on cars/Corvettes when I started on this forum (a common misconception with some here).
Old 12-01-2016, 03:44 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

And I have a chainsaw and a few handguns. No need to be leery....
Old 12-01-2016, 05:17 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

To the OP, Your thermostat failed so you need a new one. Your choice of temp rating. Just let us know if the new thermostat solves your problem. Thanks.
Duane
Old 12-01-2016, 06:19 PM
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by mikem350
Dont care to discuss the physics. With a properly sized rad and good airflow, a 180 thermo wiil show the engine temps somewhat higher, but around 180.

To the OP, I was saying that a good thermo will not open till its rated temp...so it sounds like its stuck open. Also run 50/50 mix of coolant to stop corrosion.

There are a billion vehicles from every car company that will attest to this.
Is that a yes or a no? I'm just curious why you felt the need to copy my post.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:03 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

quite the baffling group of posts here...t-stat stays open and overheats and must close to cool off? where do people come up with this stuff???

OP: I agree the t-stat may be stuck open.

I fail to see how it would run that cool in 60 deg. weather, however. how over-sized is the radiator?

how exactly are you measuring temp with an IR gun? are you somehow sampling the coolang? aiming it at the rad and waterpump is not going to give you an accurate reading.

as far as the choke, how do you know it is closing when you drive it? even at 117 degrees, the choke would stay open. sounds like you've got other issues.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:07 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The T-stat does NOT set the operating temps of the cooling system; it merely sets the temp at which the stat will begin to open. The cooling system will continue to heat until it reaches ITS equalization temperature. You can run with no thermostat, and the final stabilized temps of the cooling system will be the same as if it had a 195*F stat in it. It will just take a lot longer to get there.

Chevy designed the SBC engine with a 180*F T-stat. 195*F stats were only required after emissions requirements were established. More hydrocarbons are burned off when the engine operating temps increase. But, of course, TOO hot is not good either. Car companies agreed to install 195*F stats...but they weren't happy about it. More engine problems (idle quality, warranty, etc), lower fuel mileage, and some other minor issues were negatives related to stat (and operating) temps higher than 195*F. So, from a "customer's" standpoint, a 180*F stat and stabilized operating temps not much above that level are what Chevy intended with the SBC engine.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 12-03-2016 at 12:08 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To engine runs too cool

Old 12-03-2016, 01:41 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,653 Likes on 2,915 Posts

For no scientific reason, just rule of thumb since I was a kid and driving before my C3 was built.
Throw in a 180 degree thermostat and no worries.
Always seemed to work. Don't ask why, I can't tell you. It's just always worked fine.
Try a new 180 degree stat. If you don't like it, it only takes two bolts and a gasket to change it to a 195 or 160.

It does sound like the thermostat is failed to the open position.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:03 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

And the longer its in the engine, the increased chance of a hot spot.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:57 AM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Been awhile since we've had a decent t-stat donnybrook... Cool!
Regarding coolant speed... You want the coolant to travel through the block and heads as quickly as possible to transfer the heat from the hotter engine to the cooler coolant. Transfer will continue to occur from the hotter to the cooler, until the coolant boils. Similarly, the radiator is a heat exchanger; heat exchange will occur up to the thermal efficiency of the radiator. Faster is better, up to a point where other factors come into play, like cavitation. Anyways, that's how I learned it...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine runs too cool