C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum Canister Swap- anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 07:44 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts
Default Vacuum Canister Swap- anyone done it?

Has anyone swapped out the bulk heavy steel vacuum canister all the way at the front of the car for a light weight after market aluminum canister?

I know that they can be patched when they develop holes, but it seems like a great opportunity to remove a good bit of weight where it matters- far out front.

Adam
Old 12-05-2016, 06:36 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Model year? What "heavy steel" are you talking about. 80-82s used the equivalent of a coffee can which doesn't weight much.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:21 PM
MajD
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

My 79 has that large ballast tank you're referring to. It also supports the center of the bumper, the radiator support, and the air dam. It seems like something would have to be in its place for these to attach to. I suppose you could fab an aluminum support bracket to save weight. Interesting...I've never heard of it being done.

MajD
Old 12-05-2016, 06:31 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Model year? What "heavy steel" are you talking about. 80-82s used the equivalent of a coffee can which doesn't weight much.
Anything prior to 80-82.

I've heard the big giant steel beasts that we've got weight up to 40 lbs...

Adam
Old 12-05-2016, 06:33 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MajD
My 79 has that large ballast tank you're referring to. It also supports the center of the bumper, the radiator support, and the air dam. It seems like something would have to be in its place for these to attach to. I suppose you could fab an aluminum support bracket to save weight. Interesting...I've never heard of it being done.

MajD
Yea, on a few of the weight saving mod threads people have cut the tanks out and left the brackets behind or fabed their own brackets.

I'm just not super mechanically inclined so I was hoping someone else did this and I could copy them. I was really wondering how to mount a new aluminum one in there...

40lbs that far forward in the car is not a good thing...

Adam
Old 12-05-2016, 07:01 PM
Crimson Thunder
Burning Brakes

Received 445 Likes on 273 Posts

Convert to electric headlight motors and chunk the whole thing in the trash.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:31 AM
jsera
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimson Thunder
Convert to electric headlight motors and chunk the whole thing in the trash.
would you run a/c controls and cruise directly off of manifold vacuum then?
Old 12-06-2016, 09:44 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

I need brakes; brakes are good to have...
Old 12-06-2016, 10:54 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Power brakes are from the brake booster and a vacuum line on the intake. Nothing to do with the vacuum tank.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:55 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
Power brakes are from the brake booster and a vacuum line on the intake. Nothing to do with the vacuum tank.
I'm confused by this statement; I thought the vacuum tank boosts the vacuum for the entire system...

When I read the description of the aftermarket vacuum tanks, they clearly market them as providing additional vacuum for brakes when you've got low vacuum from a big cam...

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...63012/10002/-1

Adam
Old 12-06-2016, 01:17 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

The power brakes on your system run of engine vacuum. The vacuum tank you have now also runs off engine vacuum but it's from a separate line through a one way check valve. The power brakes on your car are not connected to the vacuum tank.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:46 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
The power brakes on your system run of engine vacuum. The vacuum tank you have now also runs off engine vacuum but it's from a separate line through a one way check valve. The power brakes on your car are not connected to the vacuum tank.
That blows my mind; so that 40 lb giant hunk of metal only provides additional vacuum boost for the headlights!?!

I could do the cheapo electric conversion on the other thread and then re-route the vacuum lines so that it actually provides vacuum boost for the brakes? (My cam is tiny, I actually won't need it so I'm just asking in theory.)

I would prefer to just cut the stupid thing out to save weight.

Adam
Old 12-06-2016, 01:54 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
I would prefer to just cut the stupid thing out to save weight.

Adam
Then cut it out, and go for the electric headlight conversion. No further mods required!!
Old 12-06-2016, 02:22 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
...so that 40 lb giant hunk of metal only provides additional vacuum boost for the headlights!?!...II would prefer to just cut the stupid thing out to save weight...
The vacuum reserve tank is built in to the front bumper support. It's your car and you can do what you want, but cutting the support will leave you with essentially no front impact protection.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:42 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
The vacuum reserve tank is built in to the front bumper support. It's your car and you can do what you want, but cutting the support will leave you with essentially no front impact protection.
It's my understanding that it's not the tank itself that is an integral part of the front bumper support, but the brackets that mount the tank to the bumper that tie things together.

There were a few extreme weight saving threads on here where the OP cut the vacuum tank out while leaving the brackets untouched.

An alternative would be to make up some custom brackets to provide the same function.

Adam
Old 12-06-2016, 04:11 PM
golfboy
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Vacuum Cannister

The heavy vacuum canister is part of the front bumper system which gives you the 5 mile per hour bumper protection but you can cut it out to save about 40 lbs. of weight and sacrifice the extra protection in front. All the early C-3s did not have the heavy vacuum canister in front and therefore did not have the extra bumper protection and no one complains about it. I believe it was a government mandate to increase the front bumper protection that resulted in the heavy vacuum canister added to the later C-3s. You can also use a T-Connection on your vacuum lines and make the vacuum canister unnecessary. I plan on going with electric lights and have already bypassed the canister as described above. I have not gotten around to cutting out the vacuum canister as of yet but I believe I will to eliminate 40 unnecessary pounds. By doing this you will have the same front bumper protection as the early C-3s if you don't mind the loss of the extra protection of the heavy front bumper system. JMO.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:44 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

In theory, you don't even need the vacuum tank to raise and lower your headlights as long as the engine is running. If you shut the engine off before turning off the lights the doors will not close without the tank. Otherwise, they will work fine. I agree with everyone else. That tank is part of the structure and GM got rid of the fender mounted tanks by using that bar/tube as one. There are easier ways to lose 40 pounds. Remove your spare/jack and carry a 12V pump with repair kit. That's a 5 min job. Cutting up your car is probably not the way to go about it...
Old 12-07-2016, 08:17 PM
MajD
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

You should have a ballast tank and check valve set-up to provide a constant source of vacuum to compensate for changes in vacuum during different operating conditions. The 80 - 82 set-up uses a light coffee can looking tank with three holes in the top. I believe the plastic spherical one mounts in the same area as the horn, which is somewhere near the evap cannister.

I think removing the ballast and not replacing it with something is a bad idea. Look at the picture and you can see that everything is welded to the tank, so while it's not integral to the bumper support, it is to the radiator and lower valence.

You can see the attachment points for the radiator support and the air dam / lower valence. Without support in that area, it will sag. Without the attachments, it will probably vibrate pretty good at speed. You may be able to use the support brackets from earlier years if they fit. Other guys have done this I'm sure. It will be interesting to hear about a real application.

MajD

Last edited by MajD; 12-07-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:16 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Yeah, I personally wouldn't compromise the structural integrity of the front of the car to save 40 pounds- Not to mention the safety factor.
As far as I'm concerned, this is a key structural piece that holds the front of the car together that just happens to have the vacuum tank built in, not a 40 pound vacuum tank.

Just think how much weight you're already saving by replacing the cast heads and intake with aluminum.

Get notified of new replies

To Vacuum Canister Swap- anyone done it?

Quick Reply: Vacuum Canister Swap- anyone done it?