C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine temp and Heater

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 10:43 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,127 Likes on 733 Posts

If the blend door on the heater box is struck or out of adjustment - then no heat. Or the cable is out of adjustment or broken.

Last edited by BLUE1972; 12-09-2016 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:20 PM
Robert.L.Harris
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok,
The hose from the block to the radiator is considerably hotter than the hose from the block to the vacuum valve and from the valve into the heater box.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:56 AM
Robert.L.Harris
Advanced

Is there an easy way to reach the door or check the cable without disassembling the whole dash? I found a youtube video which looked like there's a lot of work to that piece which I'm not ready for quite yet. (Getting there but don't want her in pieces quite yet ).
Old 12-13-2016, 03:53 PM
cobrachuck
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Try the selector in defrost position
With my 75 the defrost position works much better to heat the cabin
I should look into it
Old 12-13-2016, 04:26 PM
Robert.L.Harris
Advanced

In Defrost there's barely any airflow, just like with Heater or AC. Almost like the airflow is blocked.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:42 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert.L.Harris
I was looking at the screen and it did list 2, 160 and 180, no 195. He may be used to the kids who race the little sportsters around town and think that that was my goal. I'll try a different parts store this morning.

Many thanks guys, very knowledgeable and friendly forum.
I know you have a '79 but in my '71 owners manual it says to use a 180. If you have the manual look in that. I bet it says 180 (or higher).

Old 12-14-2016, 10:19 AM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,127 Likes on 733 Posts

I run a 160 stat in my 71 - no heat issues. It was 30 yesterday.

If both hoses are hot - the issue usually is in the heater box or controls. . If the hoses are not hot - it's usually the heater water control valve. Easy to test with a vacuum pump. (mitymite) . No Vacuum it should be open. (if I remember right)

I find the blend door is usually stuck, the cable is off or the thumb wheel is not opening / moving the cable. Thus you have outside air entering the car.

Pull the passenger side lower dash pad and check the heater controls - if they are not working or out of adjustment - there is your problem.

When I opened up the heater box on my 71, as usual I found it half full of debris - leaves /pine needles, twigs etc. This will cut down on the heat / air flow.

If it's and A/C car pull the resister for the fan motor and using a inspection camera CAREFULLY look into the heater box, IF clogged - You can clean out the box if you carefully use a plastic hose on a shop vacuum to suck out the debris. I did a friends 70 and the heat returned. IT was 3/4 full.

I have done a few cars for friends and most had the controls out of adjustment or stuck / frozen. This is the first thing to check.

I did find one car with the fan clogged with debris. Again the camera came in handy. As did the hose on the shop vacuum to clean it out.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:39 AM
Robert.L.Harris
Advanced

Do you have a good pic or video showing where to pull the resistor and check for the clogged box? Same for where the heater controls are at as well as the thumb wheel? I'm starting to learn from googling and youtube but there's a lot of mis or cross-leading information due to various models, etc. With the winter coming on I will have time to crack open the dash but don't want to break anything worse or just do it wrong and not know what I did.

Don't take it wrong, I want to do a lot my self and there are some things I know I can't do yet ( install Cats or anything requiring a lift ) but I am still learning my limits too.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:56 AM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

If the heater hose is strictly warm then you likely don't have water flow to the core. If your confident that the hose valve is working correctly then the heater core may be plugged and if so the hoses will not get to full temp but may be warm close to the motor but cool at the fire wall where the hoses enter the heater core. If the core has un-obstructed flow the hoses will be hot, as hot as the as the return hose to the radiator from the motor.

To check flow you can disconnect the hoses to the heater core and attach a water hose and test the flow through the heater core. It's easier to disconnect the hoses at the water pump/intake and use a 5/8" hose splice to connect the water hose to one of the hoses.

It could be that the temperature control door may not be opening also but your statement that the heater hose is only warm has me considering the possibility that the core may be obstructed.

Neal

Neal
Old 12-14-2016, 11:04 AM
Robert.L.Harris
Advanced

I'll try to get hoses hooked up.

To test the Heater Control Switch has vacuum the switch should be open allowing flow? One thing I noticed when I checked the heat yesterday ( Make sure you're careful of hot heads.......... ), it seemed there was good vacuum on it when I had the switch set to Heat and defrost. I'm not sure the min/max but I could put my finger over the hose and feel some vacuum preasure.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:54 AM
Robert.L.Harris
Advanced

Originally Posted by theandies
I know you have a '79 but in my '71 owners manual it says to use a 180. If you have the manual look in that. I bet it says 180 (or higher).

I've got a 180 in it now, the engine temp is heating properly, still nothing through the vents so I'm looking at verifying the Vacuum switch, door and cables. I really would rather not pull the core.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:16 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by BLUE1972
If both hoses are hot - the issue usually is in the heater box or controls. . If the hoses are not hot - it's usually the heater water control valve. Easy to test with a vacuum pump. (mitymite) . No Vacuum it should be open. (if I remember right)

Also, double check your core for proper flow. Disconnect the hoses at the heater valve and run water through them. If it comes out the other end you are good. Those things get clogged after years.

I replace the heater core on my 82 a few months back. It was not a hard job but definitely a PITA. The bonus was that while disassembled, I was able to check all valves, hoses, cables and such. When I reassembled everything was perfect. AC, Heat...everything worked as factory.

I did it over 4 nights after work for total of 10 hours. If plan on keeping the car, I'd suggest just sucking it up and going for a rebuild--- once you take everything apart for an inspection, you only have 4 mounting bolts, a couple of cables and the hose disconnect to go!
Old 12-16-2016, 07:20 PM
Robert.L.Harris
Advanced

Found some new info while getting the Carb fixed. The AC motor kept cycling on and off even when the switch was in the off position. I also noticed when I moved the selector from DEF to Off, there was very little resistance as if the cable isn't connected. So I'm thinking I'll start there this weekend and see what I can find.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:32 AM
steersdad
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you verified that the heater hoses are still connected? Not uncommon to jumper or block off the heater hoses if the heater core leaks Look for a simple solution... Hey, I know your car is only 37 years old, but this might have been done 20 years ago.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:32 PM
Robert.L.Harris
Advanced

Yeah, they're still connected and I don't see any place it looks like they're blocked or plugged off.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:01 PM
Blue79
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you take out the glove box you can see where the cable operates the door for the heater.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:56 PM
steersdad
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Default do they get warm?

Originally Posted by Robert.L.Harris
Yeah, they're still connected and I don't see any place it looks like they're blocked or plugged off.
Do the hoses get warm when the car is running and the heater is ON? If they do not, then the heater valve is not permitting the warm coolant into the heater.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine temp and Heater

Old 12-18-2016, 02:30 PM
Robert.L.Harris
Advanced

I pulled the glovebox and I can see the cable moving on the hot-cold selector and hear the door open/close.

I can not see where the AC/Def/Vent/Heater switch goes but when I slide it I feel almost NO resistance. My 89 Jeep has a LOT more when I slide it where the Vette feels like it's not connected at the back and is just stuck in the "OFF" position.

Something is also keeping me from removing the center console to look at the cable on the back and see if it is loose. Anyone have a diagram with connectors or a good video that shows how to remove the center console on a 79 C3?
Old 12-19-2016, 07:56 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by steersdad
Have you verified that the heater hoses are still connected? Not uncommon to jumper or block off the heater hoses if the heater core leaks Look for a simple solution... Hey, I know your car is only 37 years old, but this might have been done 20 years ago.
Mines like that now. Did it years ago when my heater core started leaking. I lived in Tx at the time and didn't need heat anyway and it stayed that way. I'll fix it someday.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:38 PM
Robert.L.Harris
Advanced

Ok, I pulled out the console. The Selector Switch for Off/AC/Def/Heater is electrical, not a mechanical cable like my Jeep. The mechanics appear to be working right. Now to track down where the far ends come out and check for power at those connections.

Quick Reply: Engine temp and Heater