C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevy '68 Gen IV 427 Distributor in 454 Gen VI Engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 07:31 PM
Cralmic
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chevy '68 Gen IV 427 Distributor in 454 Gen VI Engine

'68 Roaster, originally 427, now 454 Gen VI, with MSD ignition. In process of rewiring, spoke with Lectric Limited, they mentioned disconnecting MSD and using their ignition system below.

38131 BREAKERLESS-SE ELECTRONIC IGNITION CONVERSION, Converts any GM V8 engine (equipped with: points, point-adjustment window on distributor cap, screw-on type rotor, & original-type coil) to solid-state electronic ignition. TOTALLY STOCK APPEARANCE WITH DISTRIBUTOR CAP INSTALLED!!

So, was told to use '68 Distributor, And like the idea of using ignition conversion because it is a direct connect fit and with MSD, am cutting, splicing new harness.

Question... Has anyone else tried the LL conversion? Does a 427 Gen IV distributor work in a 454 Gen VI engine ok? Thought there was a distributor gear specific for the Gen VI blocks? Is there a 427 distributor better for this application? Thanks!
Old 12-06-2016, 12:02 AM
68post
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

The distributors do interchange , but the distributor's gear and the cam's dist gear must be compatible. Your cam's mfgr will advise a gear type that is compatible.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:32 PM
Cralmic
Advanced

Originally Posted by 68post
The distributors do interchange , but the distributor's gear and the cam's dist gear must be compatible. Your cam's mfgr will advise a gear type that is compatible.
Thanks. So does this mean a points driven, tach drive distributor, with correct gear will fire in correct order and is compatible between the '68 427 Gen IV BB and '96 454 Gen VI BB? Which will work with the breaker less ignition?

If so, what distributor would I look for?
Old 12-07-2016, 12:14 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If the distributor physically fits (and mates to the cam drive gear) and it is an 8 cyl. unit in an 8 cyl. engine, all should work OK. The firing order is determined by the sequence of plug wires as installed in the dist. cap.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:16 AM
68post
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Yes. The firing order is the same from a '65 on up to your '96 and beyond, until the 8.1L which changed firing order and distributor length too (the 8.1/496 is a tall deck block).

Any of the standard points distributors can be converted to breakerless. As to which one , that would be your preference.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:30 AM
Cralmic
Advanced

Yes. The firing order is the same from a '65 on up to your '96 and beyond, until the 8.1L which changed firing order and distributor length too (the 8.1/496 is a tall deck block).

Any of the standard points distributors can be converted to breakerless. As to which one , that would be your preference.
Sorry for ignorance, can I find a new points driven distributor with tach drive, or flea Bay for period correct. Have called several parts stores and have received a myriad of answers.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:30 AM
Cralmic
Advanced

Thank you
Old 12-07-2016, 05:27 PM
suprspooky
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Cralmic
Sorry for ignorance, can I find a new points driven distributor with tach drive, or flea Bay for period correct. Have called several parts stores and have received a myriad of answers.
Yes, if its a SBC/BBC Tach Drive it'll work. I wouldn't bother with Points, I have an older Mallory Unilite and a MSD Mag. pickup Tach drive, they both work great. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either one used, the bushing/bearing can be replaced if worn (as long as the housing isn't damaged). I have an original Points type Tach. drive dist. as well, I'd only use it for NCRS resto purposes tho (so I'm not using it )

Get notified of new replies

To Chevy '68 Gen IV 427 Distributor in 454 Gen VI Engine

Quick Reply: Chevy '68 Gen IV 427 Distributor in 454 Gen VI Engine