C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn Replacement

Old 12-05-2016, 11:28 PM
brian76
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Horn Replacement

I have a '76, and was looking at the horn from the top through the hood to see it, and from the bottom where I could see most of it. My question is, how do I replace it? Is it easier to get to it from the top or bottom? Should removing the hood be necessary to access from the top? Thanks
Old 12-06-2016, 02:02 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

On my '71, it helps to remove the center grill, then go in from there.
The following users liked this post:
brian76 (12-06-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 12:14 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

I just went down the front with the hood on, now, you know there are 2 horns up front, right? what is wrong with the horn(s)? a good ground is need to operate them. are you getting 12 volts when the horn button is pressed? if not , then the problem is not the horns.

Last edited by lvmyvt76; 12-08-2016 at 08:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
brian76 (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 07:29 PM
brian76
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lvmyvt76
I just went down the front with the hood on, now, you know there are 2 horns up front, right? what is wrong with the horn(s)? a good ground is need to operate them. are you getting 12 volts when the horn button is pressed? if not , then the problem is not the horns.
Getting 12 volts, don't know about the ground. I'll check. You're right - it's easy to get the left side from the top, and the right horn is really easy from the bottom. When I depress the horn button, I hear the horns trying to engage (electrical clicking), but no horn.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:57 PM
Elcransonator
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by brian76
Getting 12 volts, don't know about the ground. I'll check. You're right - it's easy to get the left side from the top, and the right horn is really easy from the bottom. When I depress the horn button, I hear the horns trying to engage (electrical clicking), but no horn.
I know it's been awhile on this thread, but I just got my '73 two days ago and discovered today horn doesn't work. Mine is doing exactly what brian76's was doing, clicking but no horn. So brian76 did you find out what was wrong? Thx in advance
Old 11-23-2019, 06:49 PM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by mikem350
On my '71, it helps to remove the center grill, then go in from there.
That's what I would do - you can access the horns and the headlight actuator relay by removing the grill.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:13 AM
Elcransonator
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

News Flash!!!! I figured mine out/got a replacement horn from Autozone, so I'm back in business. The reason I was stumped at first was entirely self-inflicted. I recently purchased a nice Fluke multimeter to replace my old analog meter and didn't notice that the Fluke has a slight hesitation before the digital number appears in window. I had my wife pushing on horn button when I said "Ok now" when I had probes in place (1 to grnd, 1 to wire connector to horn). Well it would change from like 0.005 VDC to blank to "OL" when she pushed the button. I never said "Push button and hold it." It finally dawned on me the next day that it was the meter lagging a bit so I went back to garage and positioned the meter where I could see it from driver's door. Sure enough I pushed horn button/held it and it went from 0.005 VDC to blank to OL to 12.67 volts DC. IOW operator error on the Fluke meter! Dang I hate learning things the hard way!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Horn Replacement

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Horn Replacement