C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979 big block knocking sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 11:22 PM
Jossyfilms
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 big block knocking sound

ok so recently there's this knocking sound that started coming from the engine of the corvette and at first it start very very quite but in the matter of 30 min it became super loud and hard to where it seemed like I'd blow the engine so I got it towed home. I talked to someone that knew about older car engines and he said that a rod bearing might of blew or something and he said I'd be able to see the problem from the oil pan but after taking it off I can't seem to find anything wrong nothing cracked or disconnected (I'm 19 and have no mechanical experience) I'm a diy kind of guy and wanted to see if I could find the problem myself so this is my last resort before I take it to a shop lol
Old 12-06-2016, 11:27 PM
Jossyfilms
Intermediate

Here's a video of Wat is sounds like https://youtu.be/FzkLMD5K9Pg
Old 12-06-2016, 11:50 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

That does sound like a rod knock. Does the knock quiet down under acceleration then get very noisy when you let off the gas? You will not be able to see anything wrong until you take the connecting rod caps off and check the bearings. The bad one will be easy to spot as it sounds like it has already pounded itself to death.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:29 AM
Jossyfilms
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
That does sound like a rod knock. Does the knock quiet down under acceleration then get very noisy when you let off the gas? You will not be able to see anything wrong until you take the connecting rod caps off and check the bearings. The bad one will be easy to spot as it sounds like it has already pounded itself to death.
the knock gets louder and hard when u accelerate and so if I take the rod caps off and and check the bearings I'll be able to see which ones dead right lol and if so can I replace it thru the oil pan? Or do I hav to take the engine out
Old 12-07-2016, 06:54 AM
stumpshot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Did you find any metal in the pan? Lots of things can cause a knock. Wrist pins, slapping pistons, rod bearings, main bearings, etc.
If you have little mechanical experience, major engine work is not the place to start unless you have the tools, a hoist and a place to work. If it is a big end bearing gone bad the crank is most likely galled and will have to come out for reconditioning or replacement. If you have someone with the tools and experience to help you, by all means try it. Otherwise, this is a job for a shop.
Good luck!
Old 12-07-2016, 11:19 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Jossyfilms
the knock gets louder and hard when u accelerate and so if I take the rod caps off and and check the bearings I'll be able to see which ones dead right lol and if so can I replace it thru the oil pan? Or do I hav to take the engine out
If this is a rod or main bearing knock you can't just replace the bearing. The crankshaft will also be damaged so you are looking at a rebuild. You can confirm it by checking the bearings but my opinion is it's time to pull the engine.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:02 PM
Jossyfilms
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stumpshot
Did you find any metal in the pan? Lots of things can cause a knock. Wrist pins, slapping pistons, rod bearings, main bearings, etc.
If you have little mechanical experience, major engine work is not the place to start unless you have the tools, a hoist and a place to work. If it is a big end bearing gone bad the crank is most likely galled and will have to come out for reconditioning or replacement. If you have someone with the tools and experience to help you, by all means try it. Otherwise, this is a job for a shop.
Good luck!
theres wasn't any metal in the oil or anything in it and dam ok haha prolly gunna hav to take it to a shop then hoping I didn't need to but it seems like a must if I wanna get it running good again thanks guys
Old 12-07-2016, 12:17 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If you got the pan off just take a look at all the bearings anyway
Wouldnt hurt to pull a valve cover and ck while idling
Old 12-07-2016, 01:31 PM
Jossyfilms
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
If you got the pan off just take a look at all the bearings anyway
Wouldnt hurt to pull a valve cover and ck while idling
yea I'm still gunna check them still and do Wat while idling?
Old 12-07-2016, 07:38 PM
stumpshot
Racer

I'll try to help you a little. Pull all the plugs and get a torque wrench before you start pulling the rod bearings. Put a socket on the crank pully bolt and turn the crank till a crank journal is pointed down. Pull that rod cap and inspect it and the crank joirnal for burning, scratching, etc. Put the cap back on the same way it came off. Don't turn it around. Torque the rod bolts and then move to the next connecting rod. When you have finished that, check back and we will go from there.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:10 PM
Jossyfilms
Intermediate

I'll try to help you a little. Pull all the plugs and get a torque wrench before you start pulling the rod bearings. Put a socket on the crank pully bolt and turn the crank till a crank journal is pointed down. Pull that rod cap and inspect it and the crank joirnal for burning, scratching, etc. Put the cap back on the same way it came off. Don't turn it around. Torque the rod bolts and then move to the next connecting rod. When you have finished that, check back and we will go from there.
yay thank you so much I will try and get that done by the end of that weekend and what do u mean by the plugs (spark plugs?) and Wat kind of bearings do u recommend I get and how much do I torque the rod bolts to
Old 12-08-2016, 08:35 AM
stumpshot
Racer

First, Wait until you pull the rod caps and inspect the bearings. If nothing is wrong, you don't need new bearings. If something is wrong, the engine comes out. Common practice is to mill the crankshaft journals down on a rebuild and install oversize rod bearings. Just pulling out old bearings and putting in new ones generally helps nothing.
Yes, I mean the spark plugs. Makes the engine much easier to turn over by hand but you can do it without pulling the plugs.
I'll look up the torques but I need to know what year and which engine you have (427, 454). 79's didn't come with big blocks as far as I know.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:35 AM
Jossyfilms
Intermediate

First, Wait until you pull the rod caps and inspect the bearings. If nothing is wrong, you don't need new bearings. If something is wrong, the engine comes out. Common practice is to mill the crankshaft journals down on a rebuild and install oversize rod bearings. Just pulling out old bearings and putting in new ones generally helps nothing.
Yes, I mean the spark plugs. Makes the engine much easier to turn over by hand but you can do it without pulling the plugs.
I'll look up the torques but I need to know what year and which engine you have (427, 454). 79's didn't come with big blocks as far as I know.
ohhh ok I'll do that then and I titled the title wrong lol I'm pretty sure it's a 350 I'll double check when I get back home
Old 12-08-2016, 11:46 AM
COOLTED
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I've heard that sound before and found a loose flywheel bolt.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:46 PM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

if it's a 350, it's not a big block.

I would have let someone experienced listen to it before tearing into it, especially with no experience on engine internals. rod knocks vs. main bearing knock is different. lifters/cam/valves sound different. cracked flex plate sounds different, there are a number of things it could be without jumping to ripping the engine apart, but you are already there.

you can inspect the bearings as noted above, but do you know what you are looking for? if not, post pics of each bearing and crank area as you remove them. guys on here will help.

even a picture of the oil/inside of oil pan will help some.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:25 PM
Jossyfilms
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gungatim
if it's a 350, it's not a big block.

I would have let someone experienced listen to it before tearing into it, especially with no experience on engine internals. rod knocks vs. main bearing knock is different. lifters/cam/valves sound different. cracked flex plate sounds different, there are a number of things it could be without jumping to ripping the engine apart, but you are already there.

you can inspect the bearings as noted above, but do you know what you are looking for? if not, post pics of each bearing and crank area as you remove them. guys on here will help.

even a picture of the oil/inside of oil pan will help some.
I know lol I got my stuff mixed up I put the post up late at night lol and I'll try and post plenty of pics of everything I see
Old 12-09-2016, 02:55 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

pull the fuel pump away from the block and start it up.

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 big block knocking sound

Old 01-22-2017, 02:41 AM
Jossyfilms
Intermediate

Ok so it's been a while since I've touched the car (life kinda got in the way) but today I put it all back together and put some new oil to figure out which cylinder was making the noise pulling the plugs and turning on the car( I figured out on my own that pull the plugs while the car is on shocks the **** out of u so now I know lol) and found out it's the driver side 2nd from the front is making the knocking noise so next weekend when I hav time I'll drain the oil again and take a look at that piston
Old 01-23-2017, 10:23 AM
stumpshot
Racer

Sounds like you have a wrist pin going south. Getting that piston out will require either dropping the crank or pulling the drivers side head. The pan will have to come off either way. Since you have it running again can you find someone to help you with it that knows something about it or take it to a shop? If a wrist pin has come loose and slid out enough to score the cylinder bore the engine will need a rebuild. Others may have a better handle on what's happening then me but taking the spark off a cylinder and having it quiet down is the usual symptom of a wrist pin.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:56 PM
Jossyfilms
Intermediate

Ok so I just got out from under the corvette and I took the oil pan off to look at that piston that I pull the spark plug from and it stopped making noise so I'm try to pull the rod caps off and it just does not wanna come off so I start tapping all the other rod and there was on the I could completely shake with my hand and it wasn't that one that I pulled the spark plug from. I got a video https://youtu.be/b0kDU0Y7fKQ now all the other ones I couldn't shake but this one could it be this rod causing the noise?

Quick Reply: 1979 big block knocking sound