C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pitman arm to steering box question - 68

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 12:45 AM
East Bay 68
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Pitman arm to steering box question - 68

Hey guys, I am finally starting to put my 68 coupe project back together after getting the frame back from powder-coat. I want to install the steering box that I had rebuilt by Paragon. When I took the pitman arm off over a year ago I made a dimple with a punch on the arm and the end of the shaft so when I put them back together I could line them up. So it looks like the pitman arm shaft must have been replaced when they rebuilt it as the dimple is not there, so I have nothing to align my arm to the shaft with. I see there are four flats on the shaft and the arm so I have a 25% chance of getting it right. Is there any way to know how to align the arm on the shaft? Or am I over-thinking it and maybe it doesn't matter? Thanks!
Old 12-10-2016, 08:14 AM
stumpshot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I would install the box if you want and forget the arm until you get the front end and steering column back together. You will want the arm pointed forward with the box centered. Just my opinion though. You can do what you feel is best.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Pitman arm to steering box question - 68