C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Best AND Worst Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 04:21 PM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Best and worst, huh? Hmm...

Well, there was a time when I thought having rear adjustable coilovers was about it, but it was a toss up when the Steeroids power rack and pinion was installed. That mod alone put a heckuva lot more fun in driving than my stock clunky power steering was. But then the LS swap came into effect. Or was it the 4L60e and 3600 Vigilante Convertor? Maybe the overdrive and 3:73's took the cake while eating it too? It was really hard to pick which mod was the best....until now.

Now, I have to say the hands-down coolest mod I've done thus far has been the installation of the ZL1 supercharger, and for several reasons. First up, I was told it couldn't be done-not enough room. I love a good challenge. Secondly, it's WAY more fun than GM ever envisioned our little C3's to be having. 60 mph burnouts are all I'll EVER need!

Almost forgot. Worst mod. This is an easy one. I put a set of drop dead beautiful C6 Corvette wheels on my little lady. This was before I installed the VanSteel offset trailing arms, but it still would have created a problem.

To get the rear wheels to work, I had to use 4" hub-centric wheel spacers to clear the trailing arms. For the fronts, it only required 2.5" spacers. I presume this might start a debate, but running offsets like I was puts a LOT of bearing load where it never was meant to go on an already rather tiny and cute rear wheel bearing setup. Nonetheless, this was short lived and a very bad idea from the get go

Last edited by Patro46; 01-06-2017 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Content
Old 01-07-2017, 11:17 AM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Patro46
Almost forgot. Worst mod. This is an easy one. I put a set of drop dead beautiful C6 Corvette wheels on my little lady. This was before I installed the VanSteel offset trailing arms, but it still would have created a problem.

To get the rear wheels to work, I had to use 4" hub-centric wheel spacers to clear the trailing arms. For the fronts, it only required 2.5" spacers. I presume this might start a debate, but running offsets like I was puts a LOT of bearing load where it never was meant to go on an already rather tiny and cute rear wheel bearing setup. Nonetheless, this was short lived and a very bad idea from the get go
Yes, debatable. There are threads here on the C6 adapters, and all over the net on adapters in general and it seems there are two sides that will fight to the end on whether or not a spacer/adapter puts any additional load on a bearing if it places the tire in the same location as a wheel with a different offset.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:41 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
Yes, debatable. There are threads here on the C6 adapters, and all over the net on adapters in general and it seems there are two sides that will fight to the end on whether or not a spacer/adapter puts any additional load on a bearing if it places the tire in the same location as a wheel with a different offset.
It's all about the center line of the tire in relation to the bearings that changes the stress.
The following users liked this post:
Factoid (02-22-2021)
Old 01-07-2017, 02:50 PM
Alex66
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
Omg so many to list over the last 35 years...

Best:

VBP 360 monospring (1985), Spreader bar, Holley 4175 instead of the Qjet, Poly upper and lower control arm bushings, Gary Ramadei custom blueprinted/rebuilt OEM steering box, Hella European Halogen Headlights in 1983 (100 watt highbeams, 55/60 watt lows), 255/45/17 ZR Ultra High performance summer only tires, Bilstein HDs front/Sports rear, 2.5 True dual exhaust with Long Tube Headers (headers added 1 month ago) on the upgraded/complete rebuilt L-82 with AFR heads, 10.2:1 compression, Howards Roller cam, competition adjustable strut rods with Heim joints, poly sway bar bushings, 1979 GM front spoiler extension, Performance Friction Brake pads with SS flex lines, 81/82 oil temp gauge in place of the clock (1986), complete lining of the interior with sound deadening/heat insulation under the carpeting to block heat intrusion/road noise, 3/4 inch OEM/GM style rear sway bar to balance the handling in place of the 7/16 GM rear sway bar and there is more...

Not exactly worst BUT:

Same issue with cooling as SLVRSHRK, Dewitts radiator and Stewart Stage 2 aluminum water pump...car runs too cool especially on cooler days...never gets up to proper operating temp...went from running HOT as a stock L-82 in the 80's to too cool today...talk about going around full circle....

Flex Fan in the 80's..ridiculously noisy and did NOT improve the cooling...

My 78 L-82 4 speed Gymkhana suspended C3 looks fairly stock with the exception of the wheels and the engine that looks like an L-82 minus the AFR heads but runs and handles like a modern sportscar with serious power...Not exactly like my 10 C6Z06 but not too far behind....

- That Front Spoiler Extension is great, wish this style would be available for a early 68 - 72 C3! Must be very functional too!!

Last edited by Alex66; 01-07-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:59 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex66
- That Front Spoiler Extension is great, wish this style would be available for a early 68 - 72 C3! Must be very functional too!!
Pretty sure you can bolt it on to earlier years also.

https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...oling-l-82-eng
Alex66 (01-07-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 09:09 PM
mrichi
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex66
I have a front spoiler extention on my 79 ,it really improved air flow to the radiator keeping the engine cooler
Alex66 (01-13-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 09:27 PM
Franks73
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My home state does not require a front tag. Putting louvers in place there would also help cooling to the radiator wouldn't it?
Old 01-13-2017, 12:06 AM
dariopop
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I installed the removable rear window kit on my 1976. Best mod I have done.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:11 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by '75
Pretty sure you can bolt it on to earlier years also.

https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...oling-l-82-eng
If you have a factory chin spoiler in the front, you will be able to use the 79 Front Spoiler extension like I did 26 years ago...hard to believe that is has been that long...Not only is the Spoiler Extension very effective at moving more air through the radiator, it looks great, AND it is very rare on a C3 since only the 79 L-82's with heavy duty cooling had them from the factory
Old 01-13-2017, 08:50 AM
Franks73
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Rear window swap

Originally Posted by dariopop
I installed the removable rear window kit on my 1976. Best mod I have done.
That's interesting. Guessing you have T-tops too. Do you place all the pieces behind the seats while on the road? Any leak issues? Would be nice on a good weather day.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:30 PM
dariopop
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Franks73
That's interesting. Guessing you have T-tops too. Do you place all the pieces behind the seats while on the road? Any leak issues? Would be nice on a good weather day.
Yes I have t tops. I leave them home and have the convertible canvas top I carry in case it rains. No leaks. They stopped putting the removable window option in 1972 because of the cost, but the brackets and bolt holes are still there, all you need is the window and the hardware kit.
Franks73 (01-15-2017)
Old 09-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Bundledorf
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1975 C3 w/ factory off road package and 4-speed manual. hooker headers and side pipes. When I purchased it also came with a new 383 stroker crate motor already installed and dyno tuned

Best:
Added MSD 6AL-2 Programmable 6530 multi spark ignition system for cleaner fuel burn, increased low rpm performance, more stable idle at low RPM, Rev limiter function and much better manual transmission control at low rpms.

Large capacity HHO Hydrogen generator from ebay to reduce idle fumes/cleaner fuel burn/lower engine temp. Mostly so I can breathe cleaner air idling at stoplights with the windows down lol. I am curious to add 2 race grade catalytic converters to see how much of a difference it would make with reducing the remaining exhaust fumes.

2.5 Farad Capacitor at the MSD control box and a 3.5 Farad Capacitor at the HHO generator with marine terminal battery distribution blocks in the center dash for the added MSD and HHO generator wiring and custom on/off switch panel (MSD on, HHO on, Sub amp on etc

Electric headlight motors
Removed side pipes and hooker headers. The fumes from the side pipes were so strong at stoplights your eyes would actually start watering after a while and everyone would burn their leg on the side pipes when getting out of the car)

Installed 3" custom six muffler dual exhaust with x pipe configuration because the stroker engine is so ridiculously loud. (headers into Pype's M-80 Race Pro Muffler out into flex pipe at cross member bar into Cherry Bomb Vortex out to generic ebay 4" Slant Tip / 3" Inlet Stainless Steel Spiral Flow Exhaust Muffler w/ Silencer to finally reduce drone in the back). The engine bay itself actually seems louder than what comes out the back of the car now and I can finally listen to music all the time while driving.

Interior Waterproof Sound Insulation Heat and Cool Liner in the rear storage compartment to reduce drone even further.
Custom sound setup with BMW low profile subwoofers

Removed Thermostat to reduce coolant heat pressure and increase coolant flow (I might try drilling relief holes in the thermostat next if I decide to reinstall it for winter)

Stant 10330 Lev-R-Vent Radiator Cap (I leave the cap lever vent open during summer and closed during winter)
Heater core bypass hoses and valves (heater core bypassed in summer since I do not have AC yet)

Generic universal aluminum baffled oil catch can MINI 3-PORT from ebay (this completely collects any water vapor that would build up in the engine oil even running very low temp without a thermostat installed. The inside of the valve covers are always clean now)

Installed rubber sway type bushings between steering column bolt holes and dash to reduce whole car idle shake at steering wheel at stoplights. Somehow installing the bushings between dash and column also removed almost all of the slop from the stock steering which was a surprise bonus. I think maybe because the column sits at a slightly lower angle now with this done. I cut the sway bushings in half and ran the column bolts through. basically made 2 thick rubber washers from one sway bushing.

Chrome Bumper Conversion (reverted to 72 style using a rear bumper from custom image corvettes and replaced the 1 piece front clip with a 72 clip for front chrome bumpers. I used turnbuckles and steel rope wire to attach and align the front clip instead of permanent bonding strip attaching it to the car which would be a bad idea and possibly de value the car. Front clip is still completely removable if needed. I used various large bushings when attaching the rear chrome bumper so it actually flexes without putting any stress on any of the fiberglass)

Added Trailer hitch during the custom rear bumper install
Added chrome luggage rack
Generic universal Dual Cup Holder from ebay

Worst: Not yet having spreader bar and Borgeson 999032 steering kit (I am not sure if that I should have a final front and rear alignment done without it even though steering slop is now gone) another worst is maybe not yet having the engine timing dyno tuned with the upgraded carb and MSD programmable ignition for optimal performance. And maybe not installing LED bulbs while I was re installing dash.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:44 PM
Redvette2
Drifting

Location: Loud, Raw and Dangerous 1968 327 4S in Southern California
Received 387 Likes on 278 Posts

My car is a fun weekend cruiser, so...

Best mod: In console modern stereo and box rear speakers. Sounds great even when driving.

Worst mod: The top film protector for the hatch on my convertible. Looks crappy so I took it off.

Redvette2
Old 09-12-2019, 01:00 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundledorf
1975 C3 w/ factory off road package and 4-speed manual. hooker headers and side pipes. When I purchased it also came with a new 383 stroker crate motor already installed and dyno tuned

Best:
Added MSD 6AL-2 Programmable 6530 multi spark ignition system for cleaner fuel burn, increased low rpm performance, more stable idle at low RPM, Rev limiter function and much better manual transmission control at low rpms.

Large capacity HHO Hydrogen generator from ebay to reduce idle fumes/cleaner fuel burn/lower engine temp. Mostly so I can breathe cleaner air idling at stoplights with the windows down lol. I am curious to add 2 race grade catalytic converters to see how much of a difference it would make with reducing the remaining exhaust fumes.

2.5 Farad Capacitor at the MSD control box and a 3.5 Farad Capacitor at the HHO generator with marine terminal battery distribution blocks in the center dash for the added MSD and HHO generator wiring and custom on/off switch panel (MSD on, HHO on, Sub amp on etc
Oh wow! I need to talk to you!

You're the first one I know with a C3 who is running a DIY Plasma ignition system... I've been looking into this myself lately but I'm trying to figure out how to get it wired up with my LS Ignition coils and I'm trying to decide on the right size capacitor and diodes -my engine is EFI so I can't use the distribution blocks because of the EMI...

Adam
Old 09-12-2019, 03:43 AM
Bundledorf
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
Oh wow! I need to talk to you!

You're the first one I know with a C3 who is running a DIY Plasma ignition system... I've been looking into this myself lately but I'm trying to figure out how to get it wired up with my LS Ignition coils and I'm trying to decide on the right size capacitor and diodes -my engine is EFI so I can't use the distribution blocks because of the EMI...

Adam
Great. I will put together a parts list and info for you to reference. I will send to you or post it here
Old 09-12-2019, 11:14 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundledorf
Great. I will put together a parts list and info for you to reference. I will send to you or post it here
Your setup is based upon the Aaron Murakami method, right? -Obviously simple if using using a CDI box like you're doing; I've seen a number of designs for individual coil ignitions but I haven't seen anyone doing it with LS coils yet. I know some folks tried early on with the crappy truck coils and had terrible results so many people abandoned trying to get it working with LS coils...

-I'll spin up a PM to you or a new thread sometime towards the end of today, hopefully. If not, tomorrow (today's pretty busy).

I see you're trying to maintain significant privacy regarding your location but given your name and the yellow license plate next to your car in one of your photos, I'm guessing Bettendorf, Iowa? (I lived in Davenport for a # of years..)

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 09-12-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:03 PM
Bundledorf
3rd Gear

Still gathering info to post but here is some fantastic info on plasma ignitions for anyone that has not seen it before http://www.ionfireignition.com/

Get notified of new replies

To The Best AND Worst Mods

Old 09-12-2019, 01:20 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
Pulley changes won't do a thing. The pressure is set by a pressure relief/bypass valve in the outlet fitting.
Use this. Easy change:
https://www.amazon.com/Borgeson-899001-Pressure-Reducing-Kit/dp/B002L1FBFU/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=power+steering+shim+kit&qid=1568308795&s=gateway&sr=8-3 https://www.amazon.com/Borgeson-899001-Pressure-Reducing-Kit/dp/B002L1FBFU/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=power+steering+shim+kit&qid=1568308795&s=gateway&sr=8-3
Old 09-12-2019, 03:06 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Best
OD trans...looking back a 5 spd woulda been fine no need for 6th
Bigger crank, SR cam, shaft rockers
BUilding a SB instead of replacing the 427 that the 1st bodyshop stole. Dont get my wrong this 383 is an animal but not the sme as a BB. Coulda ran less gear FT cam and given it more reliability

Worst
MSD
Electric fan
Repop carpet and seat foam

Body shops....getting $ ahead, work behind and "hoping they would keep thier word". 10 yrs lost there.

Last edited by cv67; 09-12-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:38 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,148 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Best Mods (tied):
  • Sidepipes (with DIY budget shelds)
  • Manual steering conversion, including GTR1999 rebuilt steering box
Worst Mod:
  • Sidepipes without shields

Quick Reply: The Best AND Worst Mods