C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early C3 Center cluster gages

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 11:06 AM
retiredrey
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Early C3 Center cluster gages

Hi friends:
Does anyone have proper assembly procedure for the early C3 gage center cluster with pictures (I hope), I took a bunch of pics when I took mine apart but not near enough.
Thanks
Rey Stenhouse 72 LS 502 Coupe PDT

Last edited by retiredrey; 12-30-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:51 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

My advice to you is to buy yourself a copy of the AIM (factory assembly instruction manual) for your model year. It has all the wiring assembly info need. As far as the detailed items that are mounted to/with the individual gauges, you might be able to get that info from Willcox via this Forum. Ernie has been extremely helpful to folks with specifics like that. And if you have any 'missing' pieces, he may have them available for sale.

You need to provide the model year of your car and the last few numbers on your VIN (those indicate the S/N of your car) as there are often mid-year changes that need to be accounted for. This 'assumes' that the gauges you now have are the ones that came with the car. If they have been changed, all bets are off....

The AIM will be very useful to you for many DIY projects on your car. It is one of the very best expenditures that a DIY owner can make.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 12-30-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:07 PM
retiredrey
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
My advice to you is to buy yourself a copy of the AIM (factory assembly instruction manual) for your model year. It has all the wiring assembly info need. As far as the detailed items that are mounted to/with the individual gauges, you might be able to get that info from Willcox via this Forum. Ernie has been extremely helpful to folks with specifics like that. And if you have any 'missing' pieces, he may have them available for sale.

You need to provide the model year of your car and the last few numbers on your VIN (those indicate the S/N of your car) as there are often mid-year changes that need to be accounted for. This 'assumes' that the gauges you now have are the ones that came with the car. If they have been changed, all bets are off....

The AIM will be very useful to you for many DIY projects on your car. It is one of the very best expenditures that a DIY owner can make.
Thanks to the 71 vette response to my post. I already have the AIM. VERY useful however the particular page has a lot of detail just not quite to satisfy me. Also just a particular note for general info, I have been a member of NCRS for 20 plus years. If anyone in this forum is not a NCRS member I highly recommend joining.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:23 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Your offer to join NCRS is nice, but just not my "cup of tea". I like my car to LOOK original, but I'm not of a mind to leave bare metal parts to rust...or have to treat them with something on regular schedule. I'd much rather paint them metal color or with clearcoat to keep them looking good without the grief. Also think it's pretty insane to take points off someone for having a right-side mirror on the car because it was installed by the Chevrolet dealer; but it's OK to put a 2-stage paint job on the car. {WHAT???? }

The basic premise of NCRS is great! They just need to dump some of the crazy 'rules' and 'believed truths' that are mostly myth. I.e. all the cars coming off the assembly line didn't really get all of the "correct" parts put on them......frequently.

P.S. NCRS does have a web site where members can share that kind of info. Glad this site doesn't have that 'requirement'.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 12-31-2016 at 12:30 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:33 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,278 Likes on 3,915 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

something like this?
Old 12-31-2016, 08:44 AM
JBrooke825
Drifting

Received 232 Likes on 157 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Your offer to join NCRS is nice, but just not my "cup of tea". I like my car to LOOK original, but I'm not of a mind to leave bare metal parts to rust...or have to treat them with something on regular schedule. I'd much rather paint them metal color or with clearcoat to keep them looking good without the grief. Also think it's pretty insane to take points off someone for having a right-side mirror on the car because it was installed by the Chevrolet dealer; but it's OK to put a 2-stage paint job on the car. {WHAT???? }

The basic premise of NCRS is great! They just need to dump some of the crazy 'rules' and 'believed truths' that are mostly myth. I.e. all the cars coming off the assembly line didn't really get all of the "correct" parts put on them......frequently.

P.S. N

CRS does have a web site where members can share that kind of info. Glad this site doesn't have that 'requirement'.

That's true not having dum dum behind emblem nuts did it
For me ,but the site has a lot of info . Nice people ,
Old 12-31-2016, 09:36 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Rey,
Happy New Year!
Are you asking about the connections to the individual gauges or the assembling of the gauges/housing/lens/ bezel?
Regards,
Alan

If they only knew what you're actually building! You'd think your signature would have been a clue!
Old 12-31-2016, 10:03 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I agree having the AIM would be helpful, but in this case cluster assembly is not shown in the AIM since the clusters were received already assembled from their supplier.

The Parts and Illustrations Catalogue shows the exploded diagram.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:54 AM
DonnieP73
Burning Brakes

Received 520 Likes on 226 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have this from my 73. This is before I removed the panel , the
oil connection is at the top of the picture.

Donnie
Old 01-02-2017, 05:56 PM
MSGT-R
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

I've got a pic of a 71 I'm working on..
Attached Images  

Last edited by MSGT-R; 01-02-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:49 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,245 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You have a mechanical oil pressure gauge so use MSGT_R's picture for that connection.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:00 AM
MSGT-R
Pro

Will a later electrical oil pressure gauge fit into the earlier cluster?
I'd rather have one of those, less PITA..
Old 01-04-2017, 10:06 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
Yes the electrical oil pressure gauge will fit in the same place as the mechanical gauge.
Regards,
Alan

I've never found the mechanical gauge to be a PITA.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:03 AM
Cool bean
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by MSGT-R
Will a later electrical oil pressure gauge fit into the earlier cluster?
I'd rather have one of those, less PITA..
Yes, they fit easily. Here's my 1974 coupe in progress. (I don't have finished/installed pics yet. These pics are from fitting/benchtesting with LED lights.) The gauges are Autometer Z series. I wanted the stock look, but wanted to change a few gauges, add LED lights, add voltmeter, add trans temp. The clock will be on the radio face.

The following users liked this post:
MSGT-R (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 10:22 AM
MSGT-R
Pro

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi,
Yes the electrical oil pressure gauge will fit in the same place as the mechanical gauge.
Regards,
Alan

I've never found the mechanical gauge to be a PITA.
Thanks!

I've had past problems with those tiny plastic hoses leaking when installed in other cars. They are also easily damaged on the other side of the firewall. Don't really care for them anymore..
Old 01-05-2017, 10:55 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

The only issue with putting a later electrical gauge in your cluster is that the color of the lettering will be a bit different; 1968-71 gauge lettering has a green-ish tint to it; 1972 and later gauges have bright white lettering. Other than that, the 72-73 oil gauge is the same as prior years.
MSGT-R (01-06-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 11:17 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default What kinda of lamps do your new gauges use?

I'm curious because I installed an analog O2 gauge that came with a little LED lamp, and I lost the lamp&holder.

Originally Posted by Cool bean
Yes, they fit easily. Here's my 1974 coupe in progress. (I don't have finished/installed pics yet. These pics are from fitting/benchtesting with LED lights.) The gauges are Autometer Z series. I wanted the stock look, but wanted to change a few gauges, add LED lights, add voltmeter, add trans temp. The clock will be on the radio face.

Get notified of new replies

To Early C3 Center cluster gages

Old 01-06-2017, 10:01 AM
MSGT-R
Pro

Those are pretty!
Old 01-06-2017, 10:15 AM
Cool bean
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by carriljc
I'm curious because I installed an analog O2 gauge that came with a little LED lamp, and I lost the lamp&holder.
@Carriljc; For these Autometer gauges, I used the light socket/pigtails that came with the Autometer gauges. However, instead of using the incandescent bulbs that came with them, I used LED lights from SuperBrightLeds in the sockets. It involves a change in light-wiring from the stock gauges.

(I should point out that in an attempt to make them brighter and have color consistency, I changes all the dash lights/console/shift/wiper/hvac to LED, but this is probablyy fodder for a separate thread.)
Old 01-07-2017, 12:50 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by MSGT-R
Thanks!

I've had past problems with those tiny plastic hoses leaking when installed in other cars. They are also easily damaged on the other side of the firewall. Don't really care for them anymore..
Changed my oil pressure line over to AN fittings and a braided steel line. I won't say it will never leak but it's pretty damn close to leak proof now. And it looks cool under the hood.

Last edited by theandies; 01-07-2017 at 12:51 PM.
MSGT-R (01-09-2017)

Quick Reply: Early C3 Center cluster gages