C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Bleeding Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 07:19 AM
Sluefoot
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

"MS" should be "MC" (Master CYLINDER).....

I agree with all the above...EXCEPT....(I did all the bleeding my MYSELF, and they turned out GR8....hard pedal)....I would loosen each bleeder, one by one, and let them GRAVITY feed 'til U C the fluid starting to come out....THEN do the hose in the bottle, brake pedal pumping/locking in at the bottom of the stroke (I used a 2x4 to hold it),
and finish it this way...CONSTANTLY keeping an eagle eye on the fluid level in the MC!
Old 01-13-2017, 06:51 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM B1
This is getting confusing so lets start over. Lets say the MS is on the car.
First, hook up the plastic MS bleeders with the hoses going back into the MS fluid and keep the hoses deep into the fluid all the time. Have someone pump the pedal "SLOW" and let up on the pedal SLOW. do this till all air is out. keep the hoses under the fluid and the reservoirs full.
Now hook up and tighten all lines. Here is where a set of self bleeders are real nice but if you have stock here is how to bleed them.
Start at the right rear. most vettes have 2 bleeders on each rear caliper.
Each caliper can hold about 4 oz of fluid. keep the MS Full.
attach a hose to one of the bleeders and put the hose into a cup or something. now have someone pump the pedal about 4 times then stop at the floor and hold it there. now open the bleeder, it will pop, now close it.
let up on the pedal slowly as you dont want to suck in air from the fluid getting to low. , check the fluid in MS and do it again, always stop with the pedal to the floor then open the bleeder as it will pop, then close it, let up on the pedal, check fluid again., do this to both bleeders on each caliper if yours has two. then go to the left rear. then right front, then left front. If you let the MS get to low on fluid and it sucks in air just one time then you need to start all over.
I had my wife pump the pedal and she got tired of it after the first caliper so get a good friend to help you.
The only thing I see that might need to be considered...is that if the master cylinder is at an angle when someone is 'bench bleeding' it becasue it is NOW mounted on the car and NOT in a vise ...where it can be LEVEL. I would possibly have some concerns that the amount of time to get all the air out and not have a pocket of air in the master cylinder is something I would not do.

I do know that it can take quite a while for me to bench bleed one in a vise if I feel like doing that due to I have the pressure bleeder that can get all the air out. I bench bleed it somewhat just to make sure I do not have a bad master cylinder.

DUB
Old 01-14-2017, 11:29 PM
TOM B1
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks Sluefoot for catching that.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:10 AM
cjkirby55
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a pneumatic bleeder from Harbor Freight for about $30. I've loaned it out and I've used it myself and it's never let me down. The only time it wasn't able to pull all the air out of a system was on a truck with a leaking proportioning valve. It even worked on my Suburban. For the money it's hard to beat and if it falls apart after 3 uses it's still worth the $30.

Quick Reply: Brake Bleeding Question