C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1973 ventilation and air con issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 07:13 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JRHendo
Just out of interest, someone on eBay has a control unit for sale that seems to have the same controls as mine on both sides:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-1976-Co...25.m3641.l6368

Please note that I'm not suggesting the seller is an expert in dating Corvette parts, but his ad does suggest some years were set up the same as mine currently is. Maybe 1975 on as F4Gary states?

Regards

John
Well, I just asked him what year it came out of. We'll see what he says.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:24 PM
73silververt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been battling this sort of the thing also. Just started another thread this morning. My 73 has the vacuum switch on top of the interior side of heater a/c housing that that controls vacuum to the water valve. Someone at sometime replaced, added or what ever one on my car. I've searched every page of the AIM and those parts (water control valve or vacuum switch) are not included. According to the 1973 Chevrolet service manual page 1A-85 " The water valve is used on Chevelle 116" W.B. station Wagon and Monte Carlo models only. I'll install a shutoff valve to keep the hot water from circulating through heater core during the warm season. Been this way with almost everything on this challenge. You guys that have cars that haven't been hacked on, congratulations.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:50 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Well, his response was:
"I can't remember exactly what year it came out of but it will work from 68-76...thanks Zore"

So that doesn't really help.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:07 PM
dshawster
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JRHendo
I have a 1973 Corvette and am having trouble with the vacuum ventilation system. The attached photo shows the control unit with the car. You will see on the left a large 6 outlet vacuum switch and on the right a smaller 3 outlet vacuum switch. The 73 AIM only shows the larger left hand switch and no right hand switch. Different model year diagrams show s a similar right hand 3 outlet switch but this is paired with another small 3 outlet switch on the left side. I can’t find any diagrams that shows both 6 outlet and a 3 outlet switches. The problem I am having is that when the left hand control wheel is moved to “HTR” or the right hand control wheel is moved off “C”, I lose all vacuum. Can anyone help.

I've tried to attach the photo but if it doesn't work, I hope the words explain it.

John
I was reading through my 69 Service manual and found something that might explain those vacuum hoses:

Temperature Control
This control operates the temperature door through use of a bowden cable. In "COLD" no airflow is allowed through the heater core. In "HOT" all air flows through the heater core. This control also operates an override vacuum switch which closes the water shut off valve when placed in the maximum cold position and will put the system into outiside air whenever heat is called for, regardless of the position of the selector control.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:02 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by dshawster
I was reading through my 69 Service manual and found something that might explain those vacuum hoses:

Temperature Control
This control operates the temperature door through use of a bowden cable. In "COLD" no airflow is allowed through the heater core. In "HOT" all air flows through the heater core. This control also operates an override vacuum switch which closes the water shut off valve when placed in the maximum cold position and will put the system into outiside air whenever heat is called for, regardless of the position of the selector control.
Does your '69 have a vacuum operated shutoff valve in one of the heater hoses? My '72 doesn't.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:14 PM
dshawster
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by F4Gary
Does your '69 have a vacuum operated shutoff valve in one of the heater hoses? My '72 doesn't.
Yes mine does, its not in a very easy to get to spot. Its on the passenger side underneath the blower motor.

Quick Reply: 1973 ventilation and air con issues