C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another LS engine install

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 01:37 PM
CLJonesVette
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another LS engine install

Hello All,

I fell into a really awesome deal a well running LQ4 out of a 2003 Silverado. I traded an item that I built for around $500. The individual only needed the transmission and didn't need the motor.

Most of the posts in regards to the installation of these engines are a few years old. I will be planting this into a 1982 Corvette Base. I have recently finished meticulously sanding the frame and coating it. I am finishing the front suspension at this moment.

I am planning on keeping the engine as stock as can be, I'm not taking it to the track or planning to race on the street. I would like to know if it is possible to use the 700r4 even though its not an electronic transmission? If so what is the most applicable mounts to use? Also do I need the ones that move the engine forward, stock, or backwards?

If not then what is the most applicable mounts to use if I plan to install a Manual? Also do I need the ones that move the engine forward, stock, or backwards?
Old 01-10-2017, 03:57 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I hope you gain the information that you need. I'd really be interested in following the project.

I'm all
Old 01-11-2017, 12:58 PM
CA_WxMan
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

It sounds like you still have some options at this point, which is a good thing.

If you plan on keeping the OEM fuel injection, then the the most straightforward route would be to get a 4L60E (electronic version of 700R4).

If you're set on using the 700R4 (non-elec), then you might consider going with a carb or 4-bbl throttle body in order to simplify the kickdown or throttle valve cable connections. I thought there was a kit to mount the cable to a stock LS1 type manifold & throttle body, but I can't seem to find it right now, so I'm not sure if they're still available.

Hooker makes adapter plates to set the LS motor in various locations, including one that puts the bell housing face in the original location.
http://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf/199R10379.pdf

I think you should be able to use 12611HKR and the stock 700R4 crossmember, but I have not done it myself.
The swap I'm working on is a bit different - It's an L92/6L80E combo.

Good luck with the swap.
Chris
The following users liked this post:
CLJonesVette (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 11:09 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

2003 Silverado is drive by wire and if you keep the DBW then there is no place for the TV cable to connect. You'd have to convert to a cable throttle body and manual calibration and then run the TCC lockup stand-alone which overall isn't that great.

Chris - L92/6L80e is a really cool combination. I don't recall anyone having a 6L80e in a C3 here. I just picked up a Vette LS3/6L80e combo I'm going to try and put into a 69 Camaro. The paddle shifting should be cool.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:17 PM
CLJonesVette
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by CA_WxMan
It sounds like you still have some options at this point, which is a good thing.

If you plan on keeping the OEM fuel injection, then the the most straightforward route would be to get a 4L60E (electronic version of 700R4).

If you're set on using the 700R4 (non-elec), then you might consider going with a carb or 4-bbl throttle body in order to simplify the kickdown or throttle valve cable connections. I thought there was a kit to mount the cable to a stock LS1 type manifold & throttle body, but I can't seem to find it right now, so I'm not sure if they're still available.

Hooker makes adapter plates to set the LS motor in various locations, including one that puts the bell housing face in the original location.
http://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf/199R10379.pdf

I think you should be able to use 12611HKR and the stock 700R4 crossmember, but I have not done it myself.
The swap I'm working on is a bit different - It's an L92/6L80E combo.

Good luck with the swap.
Chris
Thanks Chris

Get notified of new replies

To Another LS engine install

Quick Reply: Another LS engine install