C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tachometer Testing

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 05:57 PM
hadams
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tachometer Testing

Sold my 75 L-82 and bought a nice 71 4-spd base, motor back in August.

I have the interior disassembled (for the most part)to redo some items. When I remove the right side dash panel, I plan to test the tachometer, since it bounces around so erratically, even at idle.

I thought about attaching a drill to the back of the tach for testing:

1. I would guess it is a 1:1 ratio off of the distributor?? Am I correct?
2. What direction would it rotate - looking from the back?

Seems like I could find a way to adapt something to the back of the tach with some resourceful ingenuity in the workshop. Anyone ever try this before? I think it would help me isolate to the culprit. (tach or cable)
Old 01-12-2017, 06:10 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

It sounds like the cable is binding , there is a position that the distributor is supposed to be placed in so as to lesson the kink in that cable .
Old 01-12-2017, 06:35 PM
Ali Vette
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have used a drill on the cable before to test it, attaching it to the cable end in the engine bay. put the drill in reverse for it to show up correctly.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:45 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali Vette
I have used a drill on the cable before to test it, attaching it to the cable end in the engine bay. put the drill in reverse for it to show up correctly.
It would be a good idea to pull it out, clean it with brake cleaner, then grease it and slide it back in. The old grease can bind it and make it "flippy."
Old 01-12-2017, 06:54 PM
hadams
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tachometer Testing

Originally Posted by Ali Vette
I'll be removing that interior panel anyway. I don't think your approach would eliminate either the cable or the Tachometer itself. I want to know if it is the cable or the tach.

Maybe I can simply test the cable that way by itself.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:56 PM
wzschirnt
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by hadams
Sold my 75 L-82 and bought a nice 71 4-spd base, motor back in August.

I have the interior disassembled (for the most part)to redo some items. When I remove the right side dash panel, I plan to test the tachometer, since it bounces around so erratically, even at idle.

I thought about attaching a drill to the back of the tach for testing:

1. I would guess it is a 1:1 ratio off of the distributor?? Am I correct?
2. What direction would it rotate - looking from the back?

Seems like I could find a way to adapt something to the back of the tach with some resourceful ingenuity in the workshop. Anyone ever try this before? I think it would help me isolate to the culprit. (tach or cable)

Hi,

The cable is usually the problem. In the stock position, the tach cable has to make a pretty severe bend coming off the back of the distributor. 2 cures for this -
- the Corvette vendors used to sell a 'right angle' adapter for the output from the distributor to connect the tach cable to eliminate the bend.
- I solved my bend issue by running the plug wires one position over on the top of the dist cap and then re-timing the car by rotating the dist around. The bend was gone and no money spent.

Good luck.
walt z.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:23 PM
Ali Vette
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The cable will basically be straight when you have the drill on it instead of the distributor, and the drill speed will be more constant so if its working right you will know its not either of those things, so do that before trying to test them individually. I read alot of people having issues with the bend going into the distributor, and make sure the square end on the cable is good.

When I fixed the cable on mine (was disconnected by previous owner) I also put the distributor in the position where the cable was least bent and then set the timing.
I would do that before getting a 90 degree adapter. Mine did bounce around a little bit too. Recently I put in a '76 electric tach (total pain) but now its much more accurate and smoother.

Last edited by Ali Vette; 01-12-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:12 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,124 Likes on 732 Posts

I just put a 90 degree fitting on a friends big block 72. I got it from Ricks Corvette for around $40 , It has a grease fitting. I believe Wilcox has them also.

You can "align" the tech drive if you play with the distributor and how the wires / rotor are in the cap - it's a PIA but I've done it.

Another reason can be worn gears or a bad fit into the distributor of the cable drive. The next reason is the ends of the cable get rounded and sometimes slip..

Last edited by BLUE1972; 01-12-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:50 AM
blue by you
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 91 Posts

I would check the cross gear in the dizzy, it might be chewed up
Old 01-13-2017, 07:56 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

The ratio is less than 1:1. If I remember correctly, the speedos indicate 60 MPH at 1000 RPM- assuming an average car will turn 2700 RPM at 60 MPH, that gives an approximate 1:1.5 ratio (distributor turns half as fast as the crank) ratio. As posted, keep the cable straight to reduce wear on the cable AND the distributor cross drive gears. I would pull the distributor and check the cross gear, main shaft gear and bushings for wear-it's probably time for a rebuild.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:16 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

There is a magnetic drive coupler inside the tach that can go bad, causing jumpimg. Go to Willcox site for more info!

Get notified of new replies

To Tachometer Testing

Quick Reply: Tachometer Testing