C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No rear brakes - MC issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 06:33 PM
ace_cobra
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No rear brakes - MC issue?

Hi, I am replacing all 4 wheels with new pads and I noticed it was hard to bleed the rear calipers. After extensive troubleshooting,(yes I looked at the distribution valve) I took the brake line off of the MC for the rear and when pressing the pedal nothing came out. Pedal to the floor, maybe a little bubbling but thats it. I took the line off for the fronts and when the pedal was pushed it fired out like a rocket. So I took the MC off the car, took the guts apart and every passageway seems clear. I did notice still that when I fill both chambers with brake fluid, the front outlet drains the fluid out but the rear doesnt. Is this normal, or can I do something else. With the pistons out and spraying contact cleaner in the outlets it comes out where the pistons ride so I assume everything is clear. Any help is appreciated!!
Old 01-15-2017, 06:58 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I recently removed a master cylinder and fluid dripped out of the rear line.

I would bench bleed this master cylinder and WATCH how the fluid moves and if you are getting air out of the rear reservoir....and if you can actually see a disruption in the fluid when you press in on the piston where you can see that fluid does shoot up a little bit in the rear. The front will have a severe geyser that can shoot up...but the rear won't do that so aggressively. Push in only 1 inch on the piston of the master cylinder.

You could have a bad master cylinder but I do not know if you gave all the required information in your write-up.

Did the master cylinder go dry of fluid???

DUB
Old 01-15-2017, 07:26 PM
ace_cobra
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The MC did not go dry, the front reservoir fluid looked nice and clean, the rear had a definite rust colour to it, like it hadn't moved in a while. The master is only 9 years old as well.

Get notified of new replies

To No rear brakes - MC issue?

Quick Reply: No rear brakes - MC issue?